XAircraft what is that smell

kloner

Aerial DP
A customer just sent me a super x to install and 2 days later after unpacking it i still smell that stinch, what the hell is that smell?

kloner

Aerial DP
man, if that's what it's like in china, no thanks...... Smells like a cross between horse glue and hot metal, has that burned electronic sensation where you walk and it hits you like a rock when your near it then don't smell it. Weird, did the dam thing spray me like a skunk?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ok, I'm going to answer this and you have to know I am not joking.... I was told that most products in China use this fish based preservative oil for international shipping. Every piece of machinery I have bought from China has that smell to it. And oddly, now that you mention it, I remember my Xaircraft stuff smelling like that. Smell the cardboard they use. Thats most likely where it is too. You can always tell Chinese cardboard because it is more like a pressed fiber board and is brittle compared to our corrugated card board.

On a separate note, please post your experience with the super X. I might try one now that i am starting to get more aerial work again.

P.S. a few years back a girlfriend got me this necklace. It was fine until I wore it in the shower. From that day on I became very paranoid that my upper lip eternally smelled like fishy poon-yang. I could not get it to go away! Drove me crazy. I was washing my mouth and lips with soap 5 times a day before going out in public. it turned out the friggin cord that held the necklace was made of this fish based rope? it actually would get slimy when wet and it eventually dissolved! Ahh you gotta love China!

Last edited by a moderator:

Funny, I have had a similar experience with a few items I've purchased used. Formaldehyde or something. Always wondered if it was the components being in a sealed box for a week or the smell of their house..... Hah.

janoots2

Iris - I had some college buddies who had girlfriends make their upper lip smell like that too...but it wasn't from a necklace. Glad you got it all sorted out, lol.

Electro 2

P.S. a few years back a girlfriend got me this necklace...........

OMG ! What a hoot!! I haven't laughed so hard in months. And, like all really good humor, only slightly removed from the truth. *This* is the reason I read these forums! "Poon-Yang", still laughing.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
........On a separate note, please post your experience with the super X. I might try one now that i am starting to get more aerial work again...............

Should I put it in the FAQ's that site-members should ignore any attempts by you to sell all your stuff? :)

good luck with the operation.

Not sure about the smell. I have opened and installed more SuperX's than I care to count and can't say I have noticed any smell like that. Great stuff though, you guys are awesome...

And Iris, if you send me a PM I can hook you up with a SuperX at a discount. Just share your experiences here when you are get it in the air. A lot of guys here respect you and I would love to know what you think.

kloner

Aerial DP
your a good sport...... seriously though, it finally tamed down but theres a definate odor to these, not so new car like.... hahaha. I'll let ya know in a bit what i think, another few days for all the parts to arive

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Bart, please leave me out of the FAQ's if I have a say :). I know my decisions are erratic at times, although I would still sell everything I have if someone wanted to give me an honest offer. I have a lead with Comcast that could potentially be regular.

Drew, that's very kind of you to offer. I have a few questions/issues first. I am addicted to the XY8 format and really dont want to go X8 since it shows props on forward flight. The fact that I plan to go brushless with a much smaller gimbal as to try and reduce the amount of wind sail area on the gimbal/landing gear will inevitably bring the camera even closer to the frame, really making it necessary to have the 120 deg arm spacing. I have considered the Y6 but I like having 8 motors for a few obvious reasons. My other big concern is having GPS. I really dont need it for the most part and I have grown to feel more comfortable having less. When there are 15-100 people staring at the back of your neck and you can hear the client saying things like "man, he better know what he's doing." to the producer, I want every last bit of possible security i can have. I dont do long flights and always do very short and controlled movements. We land, talk about it, watch it sometimes, rinse and repeat. At the same time there have been a few times flying further out has been needed and knowing the RTH works is a blessing. But I dont think this would be on my dual operator heli. Another example of why GPS makes me nervous....I have an upcoming project inside of a massive factory. Obviously GPS would never get a signal. Not knowing anything about what triggers these erratic fly-aways or odd behaviors, I tend to just want to eliminate the possibility all together. I know you mentioned that when flying in Atti mode it ignores the gps all together, which I believe, just want to have a better track record before jumping in head first. maybe kloner can be my guinea pig. I'll jump in after he does.

Fair enough. The nice thing about the SuperX is that when it does not have a GPS lock it reverts to ATT mode instead of trying to stay in GPS so you should not have any issues with fly aways. The other nice thing is that you can turn the RTH off and on with the safe mode switch at any time so you never get locked in and can use it to get back into your comfort zone and then return to flying as normal. In a crowd it is great because most people won't even realize you used it other than the red light. If you don't want to use the GPS on the SuperX you can just unplug it if that would make you feel better and that will make it always fly in ATT mode. I think that once you fly the SuperX in GPS mode you will realize why so many people love it. It flies like a dream in motion and allows you to park it so you can concentrate on getting the shot instead of flying. Even in a two man rig, it is really nice to be able to monitor what the video operator needs without having to keep eyes on the copter at all times. The GPS hold is so good that it still surprises me sometimes, especially with a larger copter. I hear what you are saying about simple, but to me the SuperX is as simple and easy to use as it gets and doesn't take a lot to get it set up and flying well. It is hands down the best RTH out there as far as speed and accuracy and is really nice to know its there when you need it. It honestly flies back so fast it will make you nervous the first couple of times and is never more than a foot or so off when it lands. The speed zones in RTH are also awesome because it will fly back fast until it gets 20m away and then slow down, establish a hover and land. It is beautiful to watch.

Unfortunately, there has not been any update released yet to fix the issue with the XY8 with wide arms so I would not recommend the SuperX for that frame. As soon as it is ready to go I will be sure to let you know. If you aren't happy with it and it doesn't perform like I say I will be more than happy to take it back and refund your money. Just let me know when you are ready to take the plunge!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
That is what I really love about the SuperX, unlike the Naza or other FC’s that fight you in GPS mode, the SuperX does not feel any different than atti mode at all, it is just smooth and then when you stop it just sits there.

So far everyone I have let fly my rigs with SuperX on them wants one.

Av8Chuck

And Iris, if you send me a PM I can hook you up with a SuperX at a discount. Just share your experiences here when you are get it in the air. A lot of guys here respect you and I would love to know what you think.

Hey Drew, a lot of people respect my opinion too and I post my experiences, good and bad in great detail. Can I get a discount?