Tiger-Motors U8 + 28x9,2 props

Quinton

To make matters worse, I can feel the industry evolving at an almost daily record pace, so am concerned about making a significant investment, only to regret it a few weeks or months later.

Now isn't that the truth!

Kopterworx hammer x8 may suit you better for now, unfortunately its RTF only.

Last edited by a moderator:

ACP

Dragonrider
You won’t go wrong inverting in something like the Kopterworx hammer x8, don’t be put off by a RTF when you have not been in the RC game for a while. A LOT of effort and R&B go into these RTF solutions before they go out on the market (I hope).
Purchasing something like the Hammer will get you up and running and you should get support from the supplier unlike a D*$ solution.
I don’t know the Kopterworx products myself but from what I understand and read
“From years of commercial AV production work Kopterworx developed our own custom professional filming rigs”
I sure wished I went that way first. I was going to say get yourself something like a Phantom to practice with, just spotted you get one with the Hammer.

Yes this industry is evolving but you can always upgrade you systems as and when necessary.

You guys are awesome...thank you. K - that x16 > x8 launch video is sick. Well done & quite informative. I take it the bucket on x16 is to catch the prop wash of the x8? Hope I'm not irritating OP with slightly OT posts. Just excited to have found folks as crazy (or more lol) than I. :). Why are there few prop options between 18 & 26 btw?

Thanks again all...

DR

I have indeed been looking @ Kopterworks but am torn as I'm enough of a hands on geek to want to build myself, and find the premium they charge for RTF a bit challenging on this build ($33k+ for X8-6 & nearly $50k for x12-10) compared to DIY costs. I'm sure it's worth it for those with no concern for $, but I'd like to try and get this done for around $15k (sans MoVI M10 & camera hd vid TX/RX) if possible. Am I dreaming? All their parts seem to be off the shelf except for the frame. Currently I'm rather impressed with Gryphondynamics and am encouraged that a 18" prop x8 or x12 can carry the 22-25 pound camera/gimbal + copter weight we need.

Is there any "common knowledge" of what the AUW ceiling of a "small" footprint 18" x8 or x12 can be with standard all be it high performance off the shelf parts - that can still carry 22-25 pounds of gimbal and camera?

Quinton

I have indeed been looking @ Kopterworks but am torn as I'm enough of a hands on geek to want to build myself, and find the premium they charge for RTF a bit challenging on this build ($33k+ for X8-6 & nearly $50k for x12-10) compared to DIY costs. I'm sure it's worth it for those with no concern for $, but I'd like to try and get this done for around $15k (sans MoVI M10 & camera hd vid TX/RX) if possible. Am I dreaming? All their parts seem to be off the shelf except for the frame. Currently I'm rather impressed with Gryphondynamics and am encouraged that a 18" prop x8 or x12 can carry the 22-25 pound camera/gimbal + copter weight we need.

Is there any "common knowledge" of what the AUW ceiling of a "small" footprint 18" x8 or x12 can be with standard all be it high performance off the shelf parts - that can still carry 22-25 pounds of gimbal and camera?

There is no reason why you couldn't do it with 18" props using the U7 motors along with their 80a ESCS..
http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/Power-Type_0928/92.html

Its getting a good enough frame, not sure but wonder if you could use the steadidrone frame and turn it into an X8 it has 4mm thick CF plates.
http://www.steadidrone.com/airframes-kits/steadidrone-qu4d-x-airframe
[MENTION=1417]kloner[/MENTION] flies machines with that sort of AUW I believe using Droidworx frames.

kloner

Aerial DP
were building out a halo right now for this type of duty,,,, 8x kde 52mm on 17" and it has 110 lbs of thrust,,,, on paper..... with the 55lbs limit in view cause we signed up to accept that, means i'll have 18-20lbs for payloads.... after the batteries are strapped on

my skyjib frame is like a wet noodle but it has flown 17lbs payloads with alot of work and stress.... she seems to max out around 14 lbs payloads as far as motors go and that's just cause there too small. i would not suggest building a droidworx skyjib with u7,,,, too flimsy.

yea, them guys won't let loose of frames only,,, weird

Waladi

Hi Kloner,

Very interested to know the real world performance of KDE motor, on freefly forum, one said it almost 20% difference with lest thrust.

Any one know supplier for 3mm tick cf tube 25mm or above?

Thanks.

were building out a halo right now for this type of duty,,,, 8x kde 52mm on 17" and it has 110 lbs of thrust,,,, on paper..... with the 55lbs limit in view cause we signed up to accept that, means i'll have 18-20lbs for payloads.... after the batteries are strapped on

my skyjib frame is like a wet noodle but it has flown 17lbs payloads with alot of work and stress.... she seems to max out around 14 lbs payloads as far as motors go and that's just cause there too small. i would not suggest building a droidworx skyjib with u7,,,, too flimsy.

FerdinandK

New motors or new builds:
20140905_141618.jpg

[MENTION=16496]Dragonrider[/MENTION]
10kg payload (means about 10kg copter and 10kg battery for a reasonable flighttime or at least 5kg copter+5kg battery) means about 20-30kg AUW, so 2,5kg - 3,75 kg AUW in case on an X8, so needing 5-7,5kg max thrust per motor. This is possible with 18", but the efficiency will already be down to 4-6 gr/W. More energy will be consumed, big (heavy) motors needed to dissipate the heat, ... . The bigger the propeller, the better the efficiency, the less copper needed in the motors (less weight) and wires. With 28" propeller and 20kg AUW you are at 9-11gr/w.

best regards
Ferdinand

Waladi

[MENTION=3871]FerdinandK[/MENTION]:
Really amazed with your work..
What do you think about KDE motor performance in terms of efficiency?
Becuase their numbers on published chart were to good to be true.

20140905_141618.jpg

[MENTION=16496]Dragonrider[/MENTION]
10kg payload (means about 10kg copter and 10kg battery for a reasonable flighttime or at least 5kg copter+5kg battery) means about 20-30kg AUW, so 2,5kg - 3,75 kg AUW in case on an X8, so needing 5-7,5kg max thrust per motor. This is possible with 18", but the efficiency will already be down to 4-6 gr/W. More energy will be consumed, big (heavy) motors needed to dissipate the heat, ... . The bigger the propeller, the better the efficiency, the less copper needed in the motors (less weight) and wires. With 28" propeller and 20kg AUW you are at 9-11gr/w.

best regards
Ferdinand

That's very encouraging thank you very much...I'm a big fan of your builds and work. Of course "wet noodle" is a tad worrisome lol. I heard through the grapevine that the smaller gryphon dynamic frames (folding / removable boom models) can have booms detach from high power high vibration set ups beyond their original intended capacity which is unfortunate as I love their designs and multi connector quick release designs. So, sky jib or custom aluminum or carbon frame is only option for small footprint high powered beastie like you're building? Specs sound great...what FC do you prefer?

Thanks again...

Thank you Ferdinand... So while small and powerful is doable it's just gonna be extremely inefficient. Got it. Guess it's time to weigh every component exactly to the gram and give up every extra then if not wanting to build a 10 foot UAV lol. What's min frame size for 26" props? Why aren't props available between 18-26"? Lol. What 18" prop x8 or x12 frame(s) might you recommend? Do you like Gryphondynamics frames? Thanks again to you and everyone weighing in. This process is starting to feel fun again as I hoped it would & should be!

PS damn those are big motors :-/

20140905_141618.jpg

@Dragonrider

best regards
Ferdinand

Thank you....steadi drone frame looks nice. Do quad landing struts retract? Prolly have to go with different retracts if X8 lol. Thx again...

There is no reason why you couldn't do it with 18" props using the U7 motors along with their 80a ESCS..
http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/Power-Type_0928/92.html

Its getting a good enough frame, not sure but wonder if you could use the steadidrone frame and turn it into an X8 it has 4mm thick CF plates.
http://www.steadidrone.com/airframes-kits/steadidrone-qu4d-x-airframe
@kloner flies machines with that sort of AUW I believe using Droidworx frames.

kloner

Aerial DP
That's very encouraging thank you very much...I'm a big fan of your builds and work. Of course "wet noodle" is a tad worrisome lol. I heard through the grapevine that the smaller gryphon dynamic frames (folding / removable boom models) can have booms detach from high power high vibration set ups beyond their original intended capacity which is unfortunate as I love their designs and multi connector quick release designs. So, sky jib or custom aluminum or carbon frame is only option for small footprint high powered beastie like you're building? Specs sound great...what FC do you prefer?

Thanks again...

I'm flying all SuperX now.... finally shagged the last DJI fc in our commercial fleet

Super X looks great although no dodeca options...wasn't familiar with them Ty. Do they offer waypoints & flight logging? Really thinking about trying a Gryphondynamics folding frame. An thoughts on 18" props on a 1000mm or 1100mm frame? 12X vs 8X?

thank you!

I'm flying all SuperX now.... finally shagged the last DJI fc in our commercial fleet

FerdinandK

If the Fc can handle a Y6 it can fly a X12, if it can handle a X8 it can handle a X16. DJI only supports (also) up to 8 motor only. As far as I know MK, Autoquad, APM? have up to 12 individual Motor (PWM) outputs.
best regards
Ferdinand

kloner

Aerial DP
flight logging is built into the flight controller, actual useable stuff

they supposedly have a ground station coming but it's been coming for a while. There was recently talk about a new version of the firmware coming, was hoping it includes waypoints yet. the gps mode is really smooth in transition compared to any dji anything.... slowly swings around, but it does have more drift in gps, in otherwords if i punch it straight up and clear a building that was blocking wind, my superX will get in that wind and drift more than the dji will..... but it's smoother doing it.