Tiger-Motors U8 + 28x9,2 props

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
If the Fc can handle a Y6 it can fly a X12, if it can handle a X8 it can handle a X16. DJI only supports (also) up to 8 motor only. As far as I know MK, Autoquad, APM? have up to 12 individual Motor (PWM) outputs.
best regards
Ferdinand

APM won't do it, but Pixhawk does have 14 outputs. However, at present, 6 of the outputs are only running 50Hz. It is theoretically possible to run them at 400Hz with the main 8 outputs. Just needs a fairly minor code change. But by default they run 50Hz as it was assumed that in most cases these outputs would be used for servos used for payload or camera gimbals, and some servos don't handle >50Hz.

So if anybody wants a full Dodeca with Arducopter, it can be done.

Though as Ferdinand states, you can double up motors on any flight controller with the right motor/ESC arrangement.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Thanks for the photos. I had been looking at that, but couldn't judge the scale of it. So it's using 28" props? Given the payload is only about 3.6kg, it must have lots of room left for battery.

Jjjkkklll

After reading this thread for a few months I decided to build one. Flies great. Strapping the movi to it today for more testing.

U8 pro 170kv, 60a opto, 28", SuperX.

This is with 10lbs of dummy weight and 2x22ah packs. Tons of power and very stable and responsive.....

http://www.vimeo.com/112776882

remyd

After reading this thread for a few months I decided to build one. Flies great. Strapping the movi to it today for more testing.

U8 pro 170kv, 60a opto, 28", SuperX.

This is with 10lbs of dummy weight and 2x22ah packs. Tons of power and very stable and responsive.....

http://www.vimeo.com/112776882
What batteries are you using? Looks like you went the counter rotating option like Ferdinand suggests? Are your gains quite high - not familiar with the Super X but presume parameters are similar to DJI.

remyd

What batteries are you using? Looks like you went the counter rotating option like Ferdinand suggests? Are your gains quite high - not familiar with the Super X but presume parameters are similar to DJI.
Also those props don't look two piece like the tiger ones - are they heavy?

Jjjkkklll

Yes, counter rotating. It's the standard SuperX coax mix--top motors just like a quad, bottom motors all reversed. SuperX is phenomenal. It's not really comparable to the Dji stuff though as far are tuning is concerned. I'm at 1.2 on everything and I adjust during flight to tune to the conditions.

Great controller so far.

The props are single piece. They are lighter than the Tmotor props....only 72grams each.

remyd

Yes, counter rotating. It's the standard SuperX coax mix--top motors just like a quad, bottom motors all reversed. SuperX is phenomenal. It's not really comparable to the Dji stuff though as far are tuning is concerned. I'm at 1.2 on everything and I adjust during flight to tune to the conditions.

Great controller so far.

The props are single piece. They are lighter than the Tmotor props....only 72grams each.
Have you got a link to the props and batteries and did you go 6s or 8s? Thanks for the reply.

remyd

Have you got a link to the props and batteries and did you go 6s or 8s? Thanks for the reply.
PS mine went down but i think it was just too light situation so the blades stalled in GPS mode because they simply didn't have to move for the weight i was carrying - expensive lesson but the rebuild is underway hence the questions.

Jjjkkklll

The props are custom but based on the 28" foxtech supremes (effectively the same). I use a range of 6s packs from various manufacturers. I've never tested with 8s, but I imagine the 120kv u8s are probably perfect for that.

remyd

Thank you Justin

@ R_Lefebvre - In GPS mode on a wookong blades will only maintain a rpm to hover i.e. 50 % throttle doesn't correspond to 50% rpm- if the copter is very light compared to the thrust they don't have a very high rpm and hence don't have to work therefore can easily stall. After talking to a few i think that was my issue. See an earlier post where the throttle being low in GPS mode is discussed.

FerdinandK

Wanna share some pics, hope to be airborne this WE:

SDIM6996_7_8.JPG

SDIM7001.JPG

SDIM7004.JPG

SDIM7011_2_3.JPG

SDIM6980-002.JPG

Still mounting FC and VTX

Waladi

Beautiful frame Ferdinand.

Is it one-piece square carbon tube or you have special recipes for those square arms?
Looks like you will use more than 6S, mind to share the detail?

FerdinandK

@srbell,
Yes, this is the Riegl Frame.

@Waladi
It will be flown with 8S50000 up to 8S100000 (so 1,4 - 2,8 kWh on board). If you fly at high altitude you can switch to 10S or 12S.

Actually I do not know how these square tubes are manufactured, I only know that these tubes have been made for this copter.

best regards
Ferdinand

srbell

Pretty interested in this particular frame. I'm currently flying a D130 X8 with U8pro motors, but love the folding H frame design. Is this frame only available from Riegl? Or are they sourcing it from someone else? We're just finishing up at a forestry forum and heading to Colorado for the Internation Lidar convention. We're either going the Riegl or Phoenix (with the Riegl VUX-1 head) system. If we go the Phoenix route, I'd still be interested in the frame. Thought it would be using U10 motors, not U8's giving the almost 7kg weight. Love any info you can share.

@srbell,
Yes, this is the Riegl Frame.

@Waladi
It will be flown with 8S50000 up to 8S100000 (so 1,4 - 2,8 kWh on board). If you fly at high altitude you can switch to 10S or 12S.

Actually I do not know how these square tubes are manufactured, I only know that these tubes have been made for this copter.

best regards
Ferdinand