Take free flying lessons from this guy!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
It's a hoverfly thread?? :)

No, it's not :nevreness:.

You can't set different expos for the NAZA or WKM. Expo is all done via your transmitter. If your transmitter has different expo functions for flight modes then you can. Let's not confuse people here.:02.47-tranquillity:

papatango

I like the part in the video where one fella says "this is completely legal". If it was, they'd be operating under an SFOC (in Canada), and there wouldn't be spectators within 100'. Period.

Also, under an SFOC, you have to be in Manual, nor relying on the assistance of an autopilot, unless specified in your SFOC. If you can't fly in manual, as is obviously the case here, then you shouldn't be flying commercially.

Just by looking at the attitude & movement of the octo, it's blatantly in manual mode from the start. His overly cautious inputs, and a complete lack of wind drift, disguised this to his inexperienced eyes, which is also obvious.

Though some have mentioned DJI, hardware, and incorrect set-up, the fault, yes FAULT, belongs to the PILOT IN COMMAND. It doesn't matter if he accidentally flipped a switch, or lost orientation, or forgot what mode he was in. He failed to maintain control.

This is Pilot Error, pure and simple.

These guys are SO lucky to not have injured someone, and face some serious litigation.

To operators like this, stop screwing up the potential market with practices like this, you are ruining it for people who actually do it for a living.

rocjock

Sorry for thread drift. Good info Earl. Definitely aware of expo/DR in transmitter. But you bring up such an interesting point - tuning in manual. Essentially, we have found that the different flight characteristics between manual and ATTI is a flight controlled D/R and expo. In manual the bird is super hot and sensitive on the sticks compared to ATTI/GPS. With the DX9, it looks like you can change D/R/expo as you change the flight mode - for each channel (aileron, elev, etc). I posted some pics below. I haven't flown on those numbers! I just punched them in to demonstrate. Does that look something like what you mean by switch in Expo, Earl?

Still, I am perplexed about the throttle issue. If you are more than say 10% away from 50% throttle in manual to takeoff, whether it be below 40%(overpowered) or above 60%(underpowered), the heli will sharply ascend/descend when switching between flight manual and atti/gps.
View attachment 14930
View attachment 14931
View attachment 14932

Attachments

• image (7).jpeg
    image (7).jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 331
  • image (8).jpeg
    image (8).jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 344
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 302

kloner

Aerial DP
when they jump flipping into or out of manual means your not propped to run 50% throttle hovers. say if it hovers at 40% manual, if you hit the atti switch it'll go into a certain drop in m/s instead of in motor speed. same the other way, flying in atti and the rig is propped for 40% hover, if you drop it into manual it'll go up most likely fast cause your not at 40% stick position, you were in 50% for the atti hover......

it's two different way to control a heli, one being a metered rise and drop in m/s, other being through grunt going for it.... i like the atti

rocjock

Hey Kloner. Yeah, thanks. That's what I am getting at. Lots of people aren't at 50%. Especially if switching between cameras for example. Are you saying there isn't a work around?

Yeah, kloner really has the best advice. Tuning expo in manual is just something I do in case all heck breaks loose. I practice switching over in tall grass once in awhile and I have found I have to be right on the throttle to "catch" it. You really do need to practice it if you expect to actually respond quickly and correctly in a panic. It's just a personal thing but flying DJI has taught me to expect the unexpected. I just recently figured out that a too-close-to-the-gps battery minder of all things was affecting the GPS - causing toilet bowl and other anomalies. Move the thing away from the GPS and all is well. If I had been flying fpv with that little mistake, and it started toilet bowling a half mile out, I would have felt comfortable switching into manual.