Slightly OT: Anyone else having problems with bird attacks?

Gary Seven

Rocketman
This is slightly OT but rather humorous (at least to me) so I thought I'd seek out what others here have experienced. As of late every time I fly my F450 I find I am pursued and more or less attacked by flocks of birds. This happened to me last week as I was testing a few functions on my aircraft at about 30-40m of altitude. We have a lot of wild parrots (ie, pet birds that were released into the wild starting about 20 years ago) here and they are quite "cranky" in that they don't like to be disturbed and are really "skitish" if that make sense.

Anyway, I was flying a slow and tight circle when out of the blue comes a flock of at least 50 of these little buggers right at my machine. They came from behind me but since they were all screaming that parrot scream I heard them and instinctively throttled up hard to gain as much altitude as possible. At the same time I maneuvered hard right then hard left to get away from them...they continued to pursue the target.

So for about the next 60-90 seconds it was all I could do to keep my F450 away from these birds. I kept maneuvering away from them through all axis' but man on man, they were pissed off and wanted my machine. They finally tired and when I had the chance I immediately landed. I mean, without a doubt a collision with even one parrot would have meant filleted bird for lunch and one destroyed multicopter.:upset:

Now, just yesterday, I found myself in a similar situation but this time with sparrows. It was only about 10 this time and they weren't as aggressive as the parrots, but they too seemed "overly interested" in my quad.

Anyone else experience this? Could it be the time of year (ie, we're in Autumn here in the N. hemisphere)?

Ronan

I had falcons go after my Phantom 2.

When i have any of our bigger rigs like the S900... everything leaves the area. Maybe a falcon would pick a fight with it, but i'm not sure.

We have a lot of wild parrots ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anyone else experience this? Could it be the time of year (ie, we're in Autumn here in the N. hemisphere)?

I use the APC Props (the All Purpose Cutter).
They do occasionally attack but usually only once.

I'm thinking it is a strange threat to them. I don't think they see the props until it's too late.
I generally give them some room or drop down until they give up.
I hate removing "ex-bird" from my copter.

kloner

Aerial DP
We see birds come take pokes at them a lot. it might have something to do with mating or nesting season depending where your at. Seagulls love swooping in on us, same with crows from time to time and have had a hawk trail me for miles. my big hex seems to make the right purr that they like. have yet to have any of them actually latch on

Gary Seven

Rocketman
I use the APC Props (the All Purpose Cutter).
They do occasionally attack but usually only once.

I'm thinking it is a strange threat to them. I don't think they see the props until it's too late.
I generally give them some room or drop down until they give up.
I hate removing "ex-bird" from my copter.

But wouldn't even one collision with a bird (depending on size, of course) bring a MR down?

Gary Seven

Rocketman
I had falcons go after my Phantom 2.

When i have any of our bigger rigs like the S900... everything leaves the area. Maybe a falcon would pick a fight with it, but i'm not sure.

Were you pursued relentlessly or was it more of a warning flyby?

Gary Seven

Rocketman
We see birds come take pokes at them a lot. it might have something to do with mating or nesting season depending where your at. Seagulls love swooping in on us, same with crows from time to time and have had a hawk trail me for miles. my big hex seems to make the right purr that they like. have yet to have any of them actually latch on

Have you ever had any of these birds make actual contact with your aircraft during your experiences? It seems to me just one bird hitting a prop will disable the machine and down she goes. Just wondering.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Back in the 80's when I was in to hang gliding, soaring along mountains/ridges, the only birds that would approach us were the hawks.....they were eager for us to leave but apparently confused as to where to attack, so would fly in very close along side of us. We could not keep up with the eagles in straight forward flight and they would just ignore us!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, seagulls hate these things! They circle the helo and take swoops at it but never hit it. very nerve racking! And I am pretty sure if they so much as touch it, a prop would break and it would go down fast. Another potentially good reason to have prop guards on.

If you have any friends you dont like that fly drones, just put some bird seed on their IMU. It will be over quickly.

kloner

Aerial DP
I've never actually been hit but chased forever. Worse feeling especially over water.... When i used to fpv a random raptor would take a swoop at me from time to time. The southwest is a eat or be eaten place to them.

around here the bird probably wouldn't know what seed is, you need french fries and loaves of bread....

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I've had hawks go after me a few times. One tried to grab one of my bigger helis even. Yeah dude, you just try that, let me know how it works out for you. Heli would take it's feet right off. Only question is if it would take down the heli or not.

Dewster

I've had several bird attacks. Small birds, large birds, medium birds. They are very territorial. I was even chased by a bald eagle. Since birds don't hover so well, I reduce power as much as a I can to loose altitude. Birds typically have to circle for their attack runs. lol. I find smaller birds to be more aggressive.

jimska

I've had seagulls come close to my SkyJib but at about 4-5ft they turn away, very scary. I have wondered if there's a small bird scarer out there that can be triggered remotely??

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I've also had many birds (mostly seagulls in the city) fly at my aircraft. Just a scare tactic and they know better than to actually hit it so I don't worry about it anymore.

hjls3

myself and this guy got into a bit of a dogfight yesterday - I read this thread prior and made the mistake of thinking...hmm - never happened to me - couple hours later....this guy and mad jet fighter skills but he seemed content with my immediate retreat :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 269

gtranquilla

RadioActive
There are several flyers in eastern Canada hired to fly their Multirotors for the purpose of scaring off Canada Geese from parks, beaches and golf courses. They install noise makers and flashing lights which seem to be effective.... not sure if that would work for hawks though!

Gary Seven

Rocketman
LOL at the various posts in this thread! Thanks for the photo, [MENTION=1962]hjls3[/MENTION];. This is all so funny and interesting. I mean, really...too funny!!