Show your FPV video

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Had a great day FPV-ing yesterday at the field, got roughly 1 1/2 hours total flight time between my DJI F330, F450 and Mk quad. With the MK quad I was able to set a personal best for distance at almost 2000 feet out, OSD reported around 1940 from takeoff point. I was a bit surprised to find perfectly fine video and no loss of TX signal at that distance using just a standard JR 11X with dual satellite RXs through a diversity board on the MK and the Immersion 600mW 5.8 VTX with IBCrazy cloverleaf and a SPW on an Uno RX at the ground station and the same antenna on the Fatshark Dominators. I got out to around 1750 feet with the F330 and probably could have equalled the distance of the MK but going that far actually leaves the boundary of the property and puts the multi over a residential area along a well traveled road so I kept the rest of the flights within the limits of the field.

The recording was done at the ground station using an FPV-Japan DVR, the flying was done using the independant VRX in the Fatshark Dominator goggles. I was slightly surprised to see the video recorded at the GS was in some cases better than what I was getting with the goggles. I think it may have to do with the SPW antenna being so close to the goggles (and my head) and the antennas on both the F330 and at the GS on a 30cm mast which certainly helps avoid multipathing.

Anyway, heres one of the flights with the F330 going out to around 1700 feet, where I turned back you see some static, both times I was a little too low and that put the antennas behind two dirt hills and a line of trees about half way out. Applying a bit of throttle to gain some altitude and clear the obstacles got a good clean signal back, on other flights I kept the altitude a little higher and had less of an issue with static at extreme range, 5.8 really is LOS...

I just ordered a tiny OSD for the F330, if it really is as small and light as it appears in the pictures I think I can squeeze it into the minimal space left on the 330 frame, it would be nice to see battery voltage, distance and altitude while flying.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
that 330 is a great fpv size. I'm gonna have yuri cut a nice frame and give that a shot myself. nice with a recorder you don't need the gorpro just to see your flights. osd would be nice just for piece of mind. Anxious to see the core osd

your just about at the max for a 2.4 that i could get. mine would lockout between 2200 and 2000 feet pretty consistently. You feel it in the turns like your video feed did first..... that's a big chunk of land you got there.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
that 330 is a great fpv size. I'm gonna have yuri cut a nice frame and give that a shot myself. nice with a recorder you don't need the gorpro just to see your flights. osd would be nice just for piece of mind. Anxious to see the core osd

your just about at the max for a 2.4 that i could get. mine would lockout between 2200 and 2000 feet pretty consistently. You feel it in the turns like your video feed did first..... that's a big chunk of land you got there.

I did notice on one flight with the F330 that the RX was blinking when it came back, so yeah it's right out there at the edge I think. Can't see the little thing that far out with the naked eye, if the video link dropped and RTH didn't work I'd have to get in the car and go find/get it... ;)

At least now I know how far I can push it, convienient that the field is just big enough to hit max range and stay inside the property. I wish it were mine but it's a field that used to be a sand and gravel operation and is leased to the RC heli club for $1 a year. The problem where I live is we don't have very many open areas without a lot of trees (as if that weren't obvious from the aerial video!) and most places that are clear are developed in one way or another, either residential or commercial, buildable land is uber pricey in this area.

I'm leaning towards an EZUHF and a 1.3 gHz video setup for the TBS Discovery build, I want to be able to go just a bit further over into the field to the east but I don't trust doing that with 2.4 as there is a solid wall of trees between the two fields and if the altitude drops a bit too much I'll be on a search and recovery mission if the Naza doesn't kick into RTH. I like your idea of daisy chaining a 5.8 VX off the 1.3 to still be able to use the Fatsharks, have to look into that for the upcoming project.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Here's the long distance flight with the Mk quad. The distance from takeoff is at the top of the lefthand column on the OSD, the first pass out to the edge of the field I was about 1750 feet, the next time I kept going, staying over the access road and the final tunaround was at about 1938 feet out and the altitude at 360. Video stayed nice and crisp all the way thanks to the altitude, still had a clear LOS to the quad from where I was sitting. On one of the return flights I was tempted to try an overflight of the east field which you can clearly see from that height but the line of trees is too dense for the 2.4 signal from the JR TX to penetrate and any loss of altitude that caused the signal to be lost could have had undesirable consequences. If the quad looks a little unstable at times it's mainly because I'm using the live feed from a GoPro which sits on a two axis camera gimbal with only the tilt axis actively stabilized. Occasionally the sideways unstabilized movements of the quad don't quite synch with the camera stabilization on the tilt axis, at least in my brain, and it appears that things are getting out of control when that isn't the case. The problem is compounded when I manually tilt the camera down while in flight, the perspective can get really odd at times!

The main video is what was recorded by the GoPro, the smaller vid with OSD data was recorded at the ground station over the downlink.

Ken

P.S. I botched the landing because I forgot to turn off altitude hold, MK's do not like to land with A/H on and bounce a lot if you try it, been flying DJIs too much lately... ;)

azure

I'm new to RC and attempted my first FPV flight a little over a month ago. I've posted these elsewhere, so please excuse if you've seen them already.

Milo

Hi guys

I started out with FPV this summer.
This is my 10th FPV session and I thought I'd share it here. Still getting the hang of it. Its far from jello and twich free... Hope you dont get too motion sick.

MidwestRob

Here is a short test flight video using the Tiger MT2216 900kv motors on the TBS Discovery quad frame:

kloner

Aerial DP
milo, what are you running for dampners for hte camera?

fun flight rob. You can see the power...... i was waitin for ya to shoot under the young bull

MidwestRob

Haha, that would have definitely been a unique shot. I know this frame is pretty durable, but I'm not sure it could handle a stomping by a bull.

Tomstoy2

3 vids from yesterday's adventure to Southpark.

The first vid, I had my friend Bill put on the goggles while I did a line of sight flight, giving him a ride.
The goggles are now working great and I really prefer them over the monitor. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but the goggles give you a nice big screen effect and makes it immediately apparent what you are doing instead of interpreting info on a small screen. Cuts down on reaction time, as you will plainly see in the second vid.
We had some good winds, you always do up in Southpark, but it was a gorgeous day. Storm clouds pushed thru, but we always seemed to circumvent them in transit to the next place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZxmMtB5hiI&feature=player_detailpage

The second vid, we were in transit to a different river. There was a great stretch of river way off, next to a tall ridge that I wanted to get some shots of, so I put on the goggles and flew all the way out there.
Bill lost sight of the Hexa several times and at other times warned me I was getting too close to the ridge. I didn't feel I was ever in danger and some of his calls I felt were just due trying to orent the Hexa's position in space to the ground detail at such a distance.
At the end of the flight, I decided to take the Hexa aways away and low over the ground and test out the failsafe function.
As advertized, she raises up to 60 feet, turns nose in, comes home hovers and automatically lands. I don't intend to use this function, other than emergencies, but it's nice knowing it's functional and available when needed, like transmission interruption or radio failure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_YWIfu376c&feature=player_detailpage

The last flight, we stopped behind this great old dam to fish. I met a great guy, Steve, who expressed interest in my Hexa, never seeing one before. So I did a line of sight flight to demonstrate for him. He really got into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRrzi30q724&feature=player_detailpage

kloner

Aerial DP

had 3 fpv rigs so didn't get alot of time on the quad. it has too much power,,,, speed wobbles, bummer

A little bit of FPV from Birkdale, Southport. Before my long range DX8 conversion and higher power VTX.

Tomstoy2

Both of those were excellent! :02.47-tranquillity:

Kloner, I can't believe how close you got to that sand bar!!! Was your fpv on the new 2.4 system? Unbelievable range you are getting.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
My first attempt at doing a video recording flying solely via FPV goggles vs. just flying FPV with a GoPro recording. It ain't as easy as you might think, especially when the FPV camera is on a stabilized gimbal next to the main camera...

Ken

MidwestRob

Lets keep this thread going. Here is another FPV video showing the softer underbelly of the TBS Discovery quadcopter.