Quad is gone/fly-away

manoktot

Unfortunate post - my QAV is now a goner. Along with 2 GoPro Hero2's, 600TVL Super HAD fpv cam, Naza w/GPS, Graupner e-props, MT-4006 motors and a couple of 2500 GensAce 4s lipos, basically the best of what I could put on it.

It literally drifted away during a flight earlier. It was a bit cloudy but I had 6 or more satellites according to the LED. (Just green without any red blinks). I was out about 500m from myself and simply pivoting around this huge, ancient tree we had sitting on the edge of our flying field. No biggie, was just videoing it using fpv. So I flew up above the tree to get a new angle since I had a downward -facing cam, then I felt that the quad wasn't responding to my inputs when I got to the top of the tree. I was in GPS mode then. I flicked it to atti and still no response. Flicked it to manual, same thing. It was slowly drifting away from me while I was doing this. I flicked back to gps to try and see if the failsafe has kicked in, I was watching my fpv monitor the whole time. Then I decided since there's no control at all, I should kill my radio to get it to failsafe and RTH. I did and the quad was still drifting away, I was expecting it to stop in its tracks and start to rth but it didn't.

At this point I decided to turn my radio back on to try and regain control, and I decided to run to the tree to see if I get back radio control. The quad was probably around almost a kilometer already away from the tree and my flying buddies was watching the monitor while I ran to the tree all the while I was waving at them to see if any of my stick inputs was making the quad respond.

At this point they decide to call me back so we can get in a car and try to follow the QAV's flight path so we did, we brought the monitor with us since we still had video. Unfortunately being on the road, unlike the quad without any obstacles, we got left behind by it and lost video signal eventually but we continued our path towards it's general direction to where we think it was with my radio and the fpv monitor with us in the car just in case we came anywhere near it. We scoured the surrounding areas for a good couple of hours before declaring it a lost cause. RTH was already tested prior to this flight, working ok/properly. This time, it decided not to work even with the radio off. This is what makes me wonder and leaves me literally dumbfounded because I don't know what the hell happened.

The bad thing is, I purchased the QAV solely for AP work and not as a regular rc I could fly around for fun (had planes and helis for that purpose). I even invested in a brand new desktop computer with all the high-end specs to be able to efficiently edit full-HD videos (I had another cam on the way to replace the front GoPro).

It sucks to not be able to know what just happened. I was filming the tree earlier to add to my aerial video portfolio but now I'm QAV-less with my first commercial shoot scheduled for the end of February. Sucks since the frame was really good at eliminating vibes and jello and was a cheaper alternative to getting a full-blown hexa/octo with DSLR's. Quality wouldn't be exactly the same, but with the QAV frame, it was very near there with the help of some post-processing.

Apologies for the ultra-long post, but I'm just really dumbfounded. My wife also is as she can't believe how something like that loaded with cameras can just literally fly away. Too bad there's no video obviously. Phew. :(

Emowillcox

Wow sorry to hear about your experience . I had similar experience like that last year and I remember it was hard to go home with out the machine. I felt like I had lost a puppy and need to post lost signs around the area.

Sorry to hear about your lost QAV. Do you have any friend with an FPV setup? If they fly over that area something will turn up.To save all the trouble next time this helps.

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Car-Pets-Kids-real-time-GPS-Tracker-Realtime-GPS-GSM-GPRS-TK102-Anti-theft-/170977415391?pt=US_Tracking_Devices&hash=item27cf0c50df[/FONT]

Emowillcox

That looks nice. Do u have one of these redridinghood? I am curious how big and how much it weighs?

I agree even taking another rig up in the same area and taking photos of the area might give you a better idea of which way to search. One time I had one go down behind some trees and I was able to drive by road to the location. I looked for about 30 minutes with no luck. Went back to the flying field pulled out my other multi rotor with a camera went back up took some photos of the area and realized I had gotten turned around when I drove over to where I thought it was and I was on the wrong street. Drove back over after looking at the photos and was able to find it.

kloner

Aerial DP
OP, make some random generic flyers like if you lost a dog and go put em up. I just had a friend have a similar thing happen to a new disco, he put up flyers with reward on it and 30 minutes later some gal called him up and had it. Somebody swipped the hero2 off it, butt he robot came back

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
OP, make some random generic flyers like if you lost a dog and go put em up. I just had a friend have a similar thing happen to a new disco, he put up flyers with reward on it and 30 minutes later some gal called him up and had it. Somebody swipped the hero2 off it, butt he robot came back

That is a great idea, I could live without the GoPros, but the setup is what would kill me..... Really hope you get it back.. Wondering what did this? it has to be interference from something? Without knowing your radio and type, could your radio signal have been hi-jacked?

kloner

Aerial DP
so naza is super finicy to vibrations. Any little anything wrong with a rig, even as far as a wire slapping the side of the case will piss it off to no end. I've dealt with it alot now, always fpv and i can always save it.... but LOS, you'd have to be able to see the thing a quarter to half mile.... usually about how long it takes for em to settle down....... then folks say,,,, it flew away

junk props, bent prop adapters, out of balance props, bad bearings, bent motor shaft, out of balance barrel all do it. usually you can't barely feel it reved up without a prop, but put a prop on and rev it while feeling around usually feels just a little worse than the rest,,, is all it takes.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Seems weird that a device, built for a machine would suffer from things like this. Now you got me thinking and I am going to check my wires to make sure they are tight and strapped down. I do not have GPS or FPV yet, but never venture too far away from me, reading all this scares me to no end..

kloner

Aerial DP
i've damaged a bearing from something as easy as 1 barely broke prop,,, 3 flights later was trying not to kill a group of surfers, flew over ones back 2-3 feet over him.... it is scary

from 3:20 to 4:10 is all that....... watch some of the earlier runs then go to that one, notice the horizon shifting, randomly changes, almost hits a guy,,,, i'm holding full opposite deflection trying not to send it to sea

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
i've damaged a bearing from something as easy as 1 barely broke prop,,, 3 flights later was trying not to kill a group of surfers, flew over ones back 2-3 feet over him.... it is scary

from 3:20 to 4:10 is all that....... watch some of the earlier runs then go to that one, notice the horizon shifting, randomly changes, almost hits a guy,,,, i'm holding full opposite deflection trying not to send it to sea

Nice video, you did get a little close to that surfer. Probably scared the crap out of him too....

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
With all that flying at sea, how many toys have you lost out there? You're getting really good! When you can speed video up and not see much yaw change, I'm impressed.

manoktot

Thank you everyone for the very kind words of support. At the moment, I will need to get funds back up slowly to get a replacement QAV because of the investment I've also made on the computer that I also bought to do the video editing, which was quite a sizable one.

Thank you also for the suggestions on the GPS tracking units. I will surely be looking to get one during the next QAV build. A DVR that will record the flight (like the FPV plane guys use) is also another powerful tool for searching for downed craft, which I will also be purchasing one for sure.

I didn't think of getting any of these 2 items before, because like I said, my QAV was going to be solely for AP work and not for flying around for long distances where you can't see the quad using LOS. The QAV was only to be flown LOS (which I was when before it decided to fly off) so it didn't enter my mind to be getting a GPS tracker or a DVR since I thought I'd always know where the quad was in the sky. Big mistake on my part.

For the folks asking what my radio/fpv setup was - was using a 12FG Futaba TX, 6008HS Futaba RX for radio control on 2.4ghz.

FPV gear is on 1.3ghz using the following:

-600TVL Sony Super HAD CCD
-1.3GHz vrx w/SAW Upgrade V3 with 1258 MHz from RMRC - http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_44&products_id=1020
-400mW 1300MHz vtx from RMRC - http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_30_38&products_id=915
-IBCrazy Bluebeam cloverleaf RHCP antennas on the vrx and vtx from RMRC - http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_52_100&products_id=552

I do fully agree that I should have had a notch filter on my system. I do also agree that my 2.4 radio control could hav been swamped by the 1.3 fpv system. I did purchase a notch filter already, however it was still in transit as when I originally purchased the notch filter, RMRC mistakenly sent me the wrong one so they sent the replacement to me however I didn't have it yet.

That being said, the question I was hoping to get some help/enlightenment on was why the naza did not go to failsafe if the 2.4 signal was indeed getting swamped by the 1.3. I also am wondering why, even after turning off my radio (which should tell the naza that it has completely lost radio signal) and that it should initiate failsafe and start the RTH procedure.

As I mentioned in the previous post, RTH has already been tested twice, both by loss of signal due to distance and by turning off the radio, both instance were also without a notch filter installed yet - which both instances worked ok, the quad did a 180 and flew back to the takeoff point at speed. (I had a post about that a few pages back when I first had the experience with the failsafe due to loss of signal due to distance). I then tested the RTH by turning off the radio (admittedly with a little prayer first :) and it worked fine, the quad flew back and started to descend for auto-landing.

To be perfectly honest, since the incident yesterday, I've still been in a state of being dumbstruck. I regularly fly gassers and other EP planes/helis, but if they crash, at least it was due to either pilot or mechanical error (like a servo linkage loose) - and I would at least have some pieces of wood or an engine or a couple of servos here and there to take home and to a post mortem. For this incident though, it kinda bites since I have nothing to take home and investigate. All I could so is speculate. Oh well. :(

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Only thing I can think of, is either the signal was interfered with somehow? Maybe the receiver was still receiving a signal from something? possibly tricking the radio receiver or the receiver itself locked up? the Naza will only go into failsafe if the receiver looses signal from the radio, so if (not sure if possible) the receiver froze, the Naza might not know any difference...

I am just putting ideas out there, I really don't know what could of made it do this, but it is very odd, and an interesting issue that certainly needs more light on it.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I am no expert on wireless, radio signals and such </disclaimer> Maybe if the 2.4G receiver (or cabling in between) was getting interference from the 1.3G signal, the Naza might see this as legit signal and not want to activate RTH failsafe.

Is this something that a ferrite ring/core would help with?