Product Review - Fold N' Fly Quad

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
View attachment 10079View attachment 10080View attachment 10081View attachment 10082View attachment 10083View attachment 10084View attachment 10085View attachment 10086

Here's some pics from the upcoming manual. It sounds like there will be yet another release that has locking arms. They dont need locks to keep the arms in place which is why i didnt do it. But I do think it will be easier for people to just pull them out and have them hit a perfect 90deg. With the gopro underneath where it was designed to go, the props dont show. also, keep in mind the power harness you guys got is too big. I got the wrong ones sent to me and just threw them in there in case you wanted to use them. but these certainly dont need 14ga wire! :)

Attachments

• daves fnf2.jpg
    daves fnf2.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_6213.jpg
    IMG_6213.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_6214.jpg
    IMG_6214.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_6215.jpg
    IMG_6215.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_6216.jpg
    IMG_6216.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_6217.jpg
    IMG_6217.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_6218.jpg
    IMG_6218.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_6219.jpg
    IMG_6219.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 350

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I posted this before, but this was my first Fold-N-Fly FPV test from a while back. I never balanced anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess it is the Eagle Tree gear that is putting this over the top with it's own voltage reducer and filter. It sure would be nice if all of the flight control board had built in OSD. I might have to throw a HFP on here to see how it works with the GPS. Seems it would be a cleaner install than the rats nets of wires I have going on. Kloner, you would probably cringe.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I added 2 tabs on the bottom, 1 for the video transmitter and the other for possibly a OSD. but like you say, when you consider the extras like BEC and line conditioners it is gonna be tight. It would be really nice if other manufacturers would add OSD to the system. the hoverfly pro is great but add GPS and it is $900 and big. Emo, the first page has a pic of it folded up in the case.

Tahoe Ed

I cannot compete the revue with a video, it was way to windy today. Here are my impressions. The case is great and the video monitor is very usable, is it top of the line, no but it works for FPV. I don't care if it has the highest resolution, I can see my video output. I received the kit with a frame, assembled, a wiring harness for a hexa, the landing gear, a key, and a sling for the case. The case is high quality and will pass thought TSA without a question. I have done multiple passes with similar equipment, I have not customized the case for my Tx, lipos. or the quad though there is plenty of room for them. I used the supplied wiring harnes to connect the esc's. The wires were large but I have been assured that the gage has been corrected. I tried a ArduCopter PDB but it did not work. My set up is a CD3D and SimonK 18a esc's using the supplied wiring harness I am using 4S lipos at 1600mah. The flight times may be shortened but time and other users will tell. I requested that the opening be enlarged on the arm. That request was also approved; IrisAriel has been most helpful in this build. What I liked, the frame can rotate to reduce the space in the case. What I did not like, the lack of a stop for the arm at 90 degrees. IrisAreal is considering a correction of this issue. There is plenty of space for a GoPro. I am using a H3B with a usb video output to a Immersion 600mw 5.8gz Vtx. It all works great. My maiden flight was yesterday in 20 mph winds. This is not the conditions to evaluate a frame let alone a FC. I will do a video analysis when the winds subside.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 416

Tahoe Ed

Here is a short video that I shot showing the monitor in operation. It is a nice set up that is easy to use. I apologize to Iris Aerial, it is Fold N Fly and Fly N Fold.

Tahoe Ed

Just a small note. I put my arms on upside down because I wanted the escs on top and in the airflow. They could go the other way if you want a cleaner look on the top. It folds either way. I did mount the Rx and vTx on velcro so I can move them for easier and more complete folding. The take down is very quick, remove the GoPro, remove the vTx and Rx, pull the landing gear legs out and fold the arms. It is very compact and easily fits in the case with plenty of room for everything else for a day of flying. More to come.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for taking the time to do a review Ed. A few notes. The vtx can go on the bottom of the frame tab. That way you dont take it off. I wonder if having the escs up top really makes a noticeable difference. The arms were designed to go up top mainly so the load is put on the upper frame plate and not the doughnut. But I don't think there is enough load to make a difference. Well let kloner do the speed and crazy flying tests.

Thanks again.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast

I put 2 assembly videos together tonight. The first is assembling the frame. The second is the electronics. Enjoy.

Yuri

kloner

Aerial DP
Ed, what all did you change to the cc3d settings? I got mine up and gains are up to 40, never touched integral settings or anything past basic and it's super stable, but decays into a drift. what past accelerometer filtering helps that? I can trim it out but then next reboot it's all back and needs setting. rate and atti drift the same, same trims fix both.....

Tahoe Ed

Hey Kloner, I am still flying on the default settings. It has been so windy here lately that nothing has been in the air except dust. You could hardly see 1/4 mile. Not event the heli guys were flying at the field. I have to work some tomorrow so I am hoping to fly in the afternoon or early morning and then again on Sunday. I have my Fold N' Fly, my F330, my S800 and my 550 heli with Naza H ready to go. Just waiting on the weather to cooperate.

kloner

Aerial DP
sounds good. windy here too, fold n fly don't seem to care a whole lot. so i got rate up around 35, atti around 40 and i on 1,,,,,, it smoothed out better than this. i'm scared to go too far, but it's still pitching up in forward flight a tad and has the slightest drift. Its hard to get it consistently flat leveling the sensors.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy20xndYK5A

Tahoe Ed

Yours is fly pretty much like mine does in the winds. Sometimes it is fun just to take them out and let the wind take them for a ride the bring them back again. I tried flying between two buildings at our condo and it was like a funnel. I was a blast getting the quad tipped over at a 45 degree angle just to stay in place. You have to be in the mood for that kind of flying.