Product Review - Fold N' Fly Quad

Tahoe Ed

I would like to thank Bart and Ken aka RTRyder for the opportunity to do a review for the MultiRotorForums. IrisAeral is sending me one of their foldable quadcopters the Fold N' Fly with an optional case. The case is capable of containing a FPV monitor, another option that they are willing to sell you. I was impressed by the transportability of the Phantom that Ken currently testing, it fits in a backpack. Here is an option that allows you to use your own flight controller, naza, cc3d, your choice along with your choice of Tx/Rx. If you are into FPV having a case that contains your Fold N' Fly quad, transmitter and monitor in a small form is a desirable product. It should be here in a few days and I can start the build. Here are a couple of pictures from Yuri to peak your interest.

View attachment 9610View attachment 9611

Attachments

• case with monitor copy.jpg
    case with monitor copy.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 582
  • in case small copy.jpg
    in case small copy.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 698
Last edited by a moderator:

Ed, Are you finally going to get to try flying a HFP? How exciting. Looking forward to your review. If you are up in Tahoe, Let me know when you are going to fly.

Tahoe Ed

No I don't have a HFP, unless someone wants to donate one to MRF. If you do, Bart would be happy to talk to you. I do have my Naza's with GPS and a new in the box CC3D. I thought I would try both. I haven't been flying my F450 recently and I may move everything over the Fold N' Fly for the test. I have my FPV camera and receiver that could be connected to the monitor. Could be cool to have a little box like this to take around.

I haven't been in Tahoe for awhile. I do have some time off this month. But I have so much stuff to do down here. That it looks like I won't be back until March for my granddaughter's dedication at our church in Reno. I will stay in touch. Let me know what you are up to as well.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The hoverfly pro would be perfect on this as it has built in OSD and flies so smoothly. The one thing I wish I had when I tried it was OSD. but I also think having GPS as a failsafe is a good idea when doing fpv. It's so easy to get out of your comfort zone.

Thanks for taking time to do a review on the Fold-N-Fly Ed. I'm sure you will love it. I look forward to any feedback you have to offer. The nice thing about having a kit made here locally is that changes can be made quickly. Yet I can safely say no Chinese were harmed in the making of this product.

Yuri

SAR39

I was looking for a frame small enough to stuff into a case (pelican 1500) to haul into the backcountry for SAR missions. I saw Yuri's fold-n-fly, and thought I'd give it a shot. He sent me a frame to try out, and it's exactly what I needed. I built it up using dji naza, gps, and the motors and esc's that came with my f450. It flies great! I only have 3s 4400mah batteries, and I'm using the newer dji 10x3.8 props clipped down to 9 1/2". I took it up today without camera stuff and was up for 15:37, in a 7-10 mph breeze. With the gopro attached I get about 9min cruising around, and video is really clear. No weird shakes or shimmies in the frame.
My purpose for this setup is for extra air support in the backcountry when our air support isint available, or cant access our location. The setup is small enough to carry miles in, send out, and see what is on the opposite ridge, beyond our line of sight, or over the cliff we come upon. I'm exited to use this in a actual mission, but training is first. Hopefully we will try it out during next months training.
Anyway, I've only had this frame a few weeks, but feel I've flown it enough to say its a sweet frame with a great purpose. I'll get some vid/ pics up when I get it over some good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks, awesome to hear some positive feedback. Cant wait to see some video pics roll in from the beta testers out there.

Tahoe Ed

I tried to edit the reserved posts but it would not allow me to do it. I will start again here. I am almost finished with the build. I would like to thank IrisAerial for his help along the way. I have had some questions and suggestions along the way and he has been more than helpful at all stages. That speaks well for his customer service in the future. I will be completing the write up and review this weekend and I hope to get some flight video if the weather cooperates. It is raining right now in Vegas.

Iris, Will you post some photos of how you have your electronics laid out? I'd like to mount mine with either a CC3d or Naza/gps. I also plan to install eagle tree, a camera, vtx, and a gopro. I am finding it hard to fit everything and still be able to have it fold. I may add another layer of G10 plate on top for the FPV gear. Also, do you fly with yours set as an even X or do you open the front arms a bit for better visibility? What board did you design this for and are you carrying an OSD system? I had just built an FPV quad before I received this one, so it is taking a bit to get this built.

kloner

Aerial DP
hahaha, ok, got it.... mine too

Soldered the esc's to that and heat shrink? does it lay up in the center of the plates?

Tahoe Ed

It does. This build is a first for me. Simon K esc's CC3D controller. I will post the complete review soon.