Picloc 3x setting experience etc.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Graham, the second email came back.

I'll do it another way. Click HERE and your browser will ask to download a .zip file. The zip contains two folders with 3X Pro v.055 firmware and PiclocToolz variants.

Graham, the second email came back.

I'll do it another way. Click HERE and your browser will ask to download a .zip file. The zip contains two folders with 3X Pro v.055 firmware and PiclocToolz variants.

You sir, are a lifesaver. Thank you for posting this.

BTW, heard from George, according to him, the new firmware is coming out nice and toolz is being updated. Good news for all of us!!!!

PaNt

At the end tiill now which version o piclock is the best?!

Also how to do you mount your piclock??

I have a pad from gyros or vbar and i have the kyosho gel as well what do you think is the best??!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

holco

Here an example that the picloc is not perfect (simple to fix with some editing) yet, but I am sure George will get the picloc there where we want it to be ;)

hexacop

HexaCop
Hi Holco,
looks good but I also hope George will soon deliver some stable firmware ;-)
Here my test result from yesterday ;-) The test was basically done to test the camera operation with a second transmitter.
Using the Picloc 3X pro with the 'old' firmware, after all the issues reported here I did never update it...

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Hi Holco,
looks good but I also hope George will soon deliver some stable firmware ;-)
Here my test result from yesterday ;-) The test was basically done to test the camera operation with a second transmitter.
Using the Picloc 3X pro with the 'old' firmware, after all the issues reported here I did never update it...

Nice image from that camera. Made me smile that the camera pans round at the beginning to reveal a gent taking photos and another with his hands on the sticks. As the camera continues to move around we then learn that the photographer is actually the pilot!

Which version firmware did you remain on? Does the Pan axis rely solely upon gyro/accelerometer or have you found a way to switch on the magnetometer for compass heading hold?

hexacop

HexaCop
Nice image from that camera. Made me smile that the camera pans round at the beginning to reveal a gent taking photos and another with his hands on the sticks. As the camera continues to move around we then learn that the photographer is actually the pilot!

Which version firmware did you remain on? Does the Pan axis rely solely upon gyro/accelerometer or have you found a way to switch on the magnetometer for compass heading hold?

As I said I did not update the FW, it was the first firmware update version released end of December.
Knowing about the compass errors I did not enable heading hold, I also do not see a real reason to use it ;-)
I'm using the GH2 camera but as you may recognize from the video, next time I need to lock aperture and make sure to refocus the camera when AF is off.

holco

Looking good hexacop :)

What lens are you using?

I use the manual (M) option and adjust the exposure in combination with the histogram, for the focus I first use AFS
and let the camera focus at the horizon and then switch back to MF.

I don't know if you hacked your GH2 but the Sanity v3.1 is really awesome on 720P 50fps!!

Because the roll stabilisation with the picloc works very good and smooth with the last firmware, next I am trying to connect the tilt to the MK.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
As I said I did not update the FW, it was the first firmware update version released end of December.
Knowing about the compass errors I did not enable heading hold, I also do not see a real reason to use it ;-)
I'm using the GH2 camera but as you may recognize from the video, next time I need to lock aperture and make sure to refocus the camera when AF is off.

The reason I asked about magnetic heading hold was in mind of the slow drift that plagues the Pan axis and which seems unstoppable. Hitting the RTH switch after 5-6 mins brings Tilt and Roll to center but the Pan has a 'new' center about 45° off. Does the old firmware handle this pan drift better?

hexacop

HexaCop
I'm using the 12mm pancake lens. After few tests and hangs with the hacked version, even with fast SD card I've returned to original 1.1 firmware.
Tilt and roll works fine for me, I did not observe any drift on pan but as said I control pan manually and have no RTH switch.

DKTek

The reason I asked about magnetic heading hold was in mind of the slow drift that plagues the Pan axis and which seems unstoppable. Hitting the RTH switch after 5-6 mins brings Tilt and Roll to center but the Pan has a 'new' center about 45° off.

Funny, even with the full size systems that I use, we have drift issues. They are handled with a simple toggle switch called, NULL. In our control loops, voltage creep will induce the drift and the NULL simply tells the servo amp that the current set point is now zero volts. You have to be careful not to touch the controls when nulling as you'll induce a drift in the opposite direction at the rate of the induced stick deflection.

I'm not an engineer but maybe George can give us a NULL. I was considering tying it in with the HOME position but that would require the gimbal to move away from the shot. I'd rather be able to NULL on the fly like I do with the big systems. Problem is that having a NULL will require another channel......unless it is tied to the HOME, ugh.

zellevision

Freelance
Hi, ok, new problems, will try to keep it brief, but not easy.

HW: FC 2.1(SW 0.86d) & Picloc 3X(SW HD55), and cinestar gimbal, graupner MX20 (SW 1.003)

FC -> CS gimbal works fine, but need just a little bit better stabilisation, so I wanted to try the new picloc 3x.

Changed FC cam settings in MK tool, to correct channels for servo out 3 + 5 (4 occupied by cam trigger). servo out 3,4,5 should act normal servo channel from a RX right?

Connected to servos, now without stabilisation, on TX knobs, works, high sensitivity but works as it should.
Configured the picloc with only servos on gimbal, check, works like a charm. Changed to RX 1-5 channel in the picloc softweare, and everything smooth and low gains.
Power down and connect FC servo out 3 + 5 to picloc ports 2+3 (as configured in the picloc software). Power up.

Now everthing lights up, the CS, MK cards all green, MKtool no error, picloc boots, I arm the FC, but...

Nothing happens at the gimbal servos, no power no locking, no compensation, no nothing. The camtrigger (vp-systems) lights up (connected to servo out 4) as it should but now it doesnt respond to trigger action from the radio....?!

The MKtool still says no error, every other function is working, boots, arms, engines start, respond on throttle, beeps on gps commands... Inside MKtools in the settings, all channels respond correct, all potis are correct mapped, meaning RX is putting the signals in to the FC. but at the picloc tool no indication of the input I give thru the FC.

If I disconnect the FC from piclock, and boot the piclock with external battery, picloc and the gimbal servos, it works great. If I go back to the same configuration as it was before I started, the servo outputs, all of them, NONE does respond, still the power on the camtrigger lights indicates with correct powerup but I cant trigger it. Its like if the signal aint going out now, none of the servo channels. And still NO error a MKtools.

Ideas?

Reload latest FW?

And second Q, the RX has that PPM directly to the FC, and CAN I use graupner RX (GR-16) normal channel connections at the same time, so I still can use the same radio to get those 3 channels I need from the same RX? That would also be a solution

I want RX->FC->picloc->cs gimbal, but seems like bad combo?

help......

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
any news when there will be a fixed version of the HD55 version for those experiencing the drifts ?

thanks

Boris