Photohigher skyline rsgs

SMP

Well... good news if you're an RC Car guy, not so much for us AV200 folks. The new Savox servo gears are metal not plastic and are press fits. Photohigher mod no longer looks possible with 1258s. Will edit w pic later... gonna go enjoy a beer.

SMC - there is another option with regards to the psot above and that is to remove the potentiometer from inside the servo or you can replace the Pot with two resistors around 2.4k and this will also make a 360 servo. The link above shows disconnecting the little coupling that connects the pot shaft to the back of the servo output gear. the disadvantage with this option is that if you need to adjust the neutral position of the servo you need to open up the servo.

Very interesting about the new Savox servo with the press fit gears - we are actualy looking at new servos we are getting MKS to customsie a servo for us - they work so much better with the RSGS as they have a low dead band. You can actualy purchase MKS servo that already have external pots especialy for gimbals here is the link - http://www.mks-servo.com.tw/photoindex.php?cid=48 there are four options and come with an additional lead for an external pot - exactely the same as the mod we currently do for the AV200 servos.

We are currently testing all four and we will let you know which is the best all round servo

With regards to connection problems -we are working on this issue to try andfind out what is causing the problem - we suspect it could be a faulty batch ofUSB cables. As soon as we find out what the problem is we will let you guysknow. Brendon will post some info as soon as he can

I have been using the skyline since it first came out but the USB not talking to the unit is a new thing that just started. The Skyline connects OK and the LED turns Blue. The UI reports the USB software connected OK but not the Skyline. I can Toggle the servos on and off via the USB but nothing else, I cannot alter any parameters or upgrade/downgrade the firmware. I doubt it is faulty USB cable because I have been using it successfully for over a year. The Skyline works OK I just cannot change any parameters. I have checked the continuity of the harness on all pins. It is one of the new harnesses and has worked previously.

Bluerex

After I smoked my AV130 servos (accident with a cheap UBEC-don't ask), with help from PhotoHigher's Jesse I modded my own SAVOX (sourced locally for the same price as I could have gotten modified ones from PH if I was prepared to wait a week - they were expecting a new shipment).
The pots came out easily, you can either extend the wires or just solder 2 resistors directly to the board (I chose to extend incase I ever wanted to try using remote pots again).
All the gears came off easily, access to two screws on the top meant that all the gears have to be removed (hint take photos of original gear positions) and I was able to drive out the stop-pin with a busted drill bit (Ok so It wasn't busted when I started to drive out the pin but you get the idea). I also notched the servo case to clear the pot leads so they weren't getting crushed on the way out.

On the whole - waiting for the ones from PH would have been more sensible, but hey I learned how servos work :frog:

Charles

blushoes

Hi All, I got a reply from Photohigher regarding my issue below.
I'm copying and pastnig it here. Though, for the record, it didnt work our for me...
possibly meaning I have a dead USB cable.

============start===============
It sounds like a problem with the wire harness or the usb programming cable.

You can test both of them using a program like PuTTY.

Plug the usb cable into the pan input skyline harness.

Make sure nothing else is connected. No skyline unit, No batteries, no receiver and no servos.

Run Putty

Select Serial under “Connection Type”

Input the name of the serial port (COM3 on my computer), this is the same as the com port you connect to when running the software.

Click Open

You should get a black window. When you type nothing will appear.

On the 20 pin connector short the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] and 6[SUP]th[/SUP] pins from the top right when a short piece of wire, they are the red(or orange) and white(or yellow) wires from the pan input lead. These are the transmit/receive wires.

Now if everything is working what you type in the PuTTY terminal should appear. Apply pressure onto different parts on the programming cable and harness.

If at any point it is intermittent then one of the cables is fault.

Let me know if there’s anything that’s no clear. Hope this helps.

=====================

Hi guys

I just started fiddling with my Skyline (pre order version with the old looms and self made dummy pots).
Wanted to wait till things were more or less settled down from all the initial bugs before I start on it.

Well, I managed to get it to work on 1.2.2 but all of a sudden, I now cannot connect to the skyline!
There was the ocassional disconnecting, but could connect back if i restarted the power / software.
But now, in the same work session, nothing changed on my laptop etc, I just can't connect to it anymore.

When I try updating firmware, and software prompts to power up the skyline, which I then do, for a brief moment
I see the blue text on the software 'connected' and 'updating firmware', but very quickly it then disconnects.

Frustrating.

blushoes

hey chris.

i had the original pre-order batch of skylines/USB cables.
i only just started setting it up. everything was heading ok and all of a sudden on the same work session,
the skyline couldnt connect anymore.

see my later post abt PH's reply on how to test the USB cable.

see my later post abt PH's reply on how to test the USB cable.

Thanks I did that and although Putty recognised the USB/ser device I couldnt get any text feedback on typing with the data leads shorted as suggested.
So, I found another USB/ser gizmo from something else and managed to get correct chatback on that.. but the skyline wouldnt talk to that either although the PH software recognised the USB.

So I am not sure where to go from here. Does it HAVE to be the PH interface. After spending loadsa dosh on a skyline and AV200 I am a little wary of sending more cash off to NZ only to find that the replacement USB stick doesnt work either.

blushoes

Thanks I did that and although Putty recognised the USB/ser device I couldnt get any text feedback on typing with the data leads shorted as suggested.
So, I found another USB/ser gizmo from something else and managed to get correct chatback on that.. but the skyline wouldnt talk to that either although the PH software recognised the USB.

So I am not sure where to go from here. Does it HAVE to be the PH interface. After spending loadsa dosh on a skyline and AV200 I am a little wary of sending more cash off to NZ only to find that the replacement USB stick doesnt work either.

I wouldnt want to send more $$ to NZ. Honestly, I do think its a really buggy product, and (without the ranting which wants to brew forth) would expect PH to fully replace the faulty stuff FOC.

ESPECIALLY FOR US PRE-ORDER CHAPS. (PH I Hope you are reading this).

Cos its us Pre Order chaps who helped u on your cashflow to get the product produced.

Chris, I too am wondering if it has to be the PH USB-Serial thingy. There is one on HobKing thats meant for the FY 91Q. going at abt 9 bucks. But it has 4 leads.

I tried the FY91 device. I identified the three wires needed and put a new connector on. It talked to Putty OK and fedback text when I shorted the data lines but I still couldn't get it to talk to the Skyline.
Alex from UavShop.co.uk is going to send me his working unit to try. If it proves to be the USB cable then I will order one from PH. In the meantime my Skyline works OK because I set it up before the link went tits up. I just can't tweak anything or update the firmware.

SMP

Ok, I need to make a correction. Savox servos can still be modified for 360. The Photohigher instructions are nearly impossible to find and you need to find 3 of them in order to do the mod correctly... Coundn't find them on PH site (thx for making that nearly impossible guys) but thanks to the Internet did manage to track them down. :livid:Unfortunately they are in PDF form and on my other PC; Skyline Wiring harness mod, 360 Servo Mod and Centering 360 potentiometer. You will also need a set of dummy pots, either provided by PH or made yourself... . It is a long, painful and laborious process. Strongly suggest you order direct from PH and save the hassle. So.. it can be done but you're not gonna want to unless you have to.

In other Skyline news, we have reached the end of trying to squeeze everything we can out of FW 1.2.2 - Simply not acceptable for Broadcast level work. Loading FW 1.7b1 and starting the process again.

Marioka, on your pan servo try using the digital trims on your radio and then adjust the travel and endpoints. If you cant stop it you'll need to break the stupid thing apart and try centering the 360 potentiometer mod... GOOD LUCK!!

Edit - These are the files you need.
http://www.photohigher.co.nz/assets/Uploads/External-Potentiometer-Modifications-for-Skyline.pdf
http://www.photohigher.co.nz/assets/Uploads/Skyline-Wiring-Modification.pdf
http://www.photohigher.co.nz/assets/Uploads/Setup-Guide-1.2.2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

I tried the FY91 device. I identified the three wires needed and put a new connector on. It talked to Putty OK and fedback text when I shorted the data lines but I still couldn't get it to talk to the Skyline.
Alex from UavShop.co.uk is going to send me his working unit to try. If it proves to be the USB cable then I will order one from PH. In the meantime my Skyline works OK because I set it up before the link went tits up. I just can't tweak anything or update the firmware.
I got a working USB cable from UavShop (Thanks Alex!) and determined that it was my cable at fault. I went over the board with a soldering iron and redid a dry joint, now it works again!

Hi. I took the cover off the USB circuit and where the three wires connect to the pcb I resoldered those joints, one was a dry joint. Use preferably a very fine tip 12v iron. Hope this helps