Photohigher skyline rsgs

dani_r

How are people going about balancing their cameras on the tilt tray?? With my big lens the sweet spot is right in a point where there is no mounting point! The tipping point is so fine that it is difficult to just add weight to counterbalance it. It seems now with PHs new setup videos that the tray needs to be balanced the same way as a prop - i.e., which ever position you tip the tilt tray it stays there. But seems near impossible to achieve. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

dez

Pilot
How are people going about balancing their cameras on the tilt tray?? With my big lens the sweet spot is right in a point where there is no mounting point! The tipping point is so fine that it is difficult to just add weight to counterbalance it. It seems now with PHs new setup videos that the tray needs to be balanced the same way as a prop - i.e., which ever position you tip the tilt tray it stays there. But seems near impossible to achieve. Any ideas?

I actually put a hole where one was needed for me....

dani_r

I actually put a hole where one was needed for me....

Haha I was hoping it would have to come to that! I'm sure i've seen somewhere that has an additional plate you can add to the tilt tray to get this right? Can't recall though.

MikeH

Haha I was hoping it would have to come to that! I'm sure i've seen somewhere that has an additional plate you can add to the tilt tray to get this right? Can't recall though.

Just use a camera quick release plate. It acts like a slider and you can lock the plate in place at the sweet spot. Then to swap cameras or remove, simply unlock it and slide it out.

This is one example http://www.dvcreators.net/bogen-577-quick-release-plate/

guys, when using the Skyline. Do you remove / loosen the gears from the potentio's from the rails ? I of course disconnected the potentio's on my AV200, but I still have the gears in the same place to keep the balance of the tray.

Tuukkuli

Hi

Back to tuning Skyline after doing the same with Radians and Freefly 3-axis gimbal. Exprience with Radians was at least three times better justifying three times the price.

Problem: Pan center tune is good at -170. When I dial this in and save settings to flash, disconnect, boot Skyline power and connect again, the value is not -170. It is 22527. This happens every time. Needless to say, pan rotates furiously when the gimbal is activated. Anyone has had this problem before? Solution? Firmware 1.7b.

dez

Pilot
Hi

Back to tuning Skyline after doing the same with Radians and Freefly 3-axis gimbal. Exprience with Radians was at least three times better justifying three times the price.

Problem: Pan center tune is good at -170. When I dial this in and save settings to flash, disconnect, boot Skyline power and connect again, the value is not -170. It is 22527. This happens every time. Needless to say, pan rotates furiously when the gimbal is activated. Anyone has had this problem before? Solution? Firmware 1.7b.

This is probably not the solution, but I noticed that if you change a parameter in any field, make sure you put the cursor in any other field before you click on save as sometimes the setting is not saved unless you do this. In other words, choose the field you want to change, type in the new number, move the cursor to a different field then click save settings.

Tuukkuli

Managed to get the pan center tune into -170 but once pan stabilization was activated, the pan started to turn around very rapidly regardless.

Found a solution: The pan servo has to be REVERSED in the software. This way I managed to get the rotation stop and the pan stays still. Naturally the copter is hanging in ropes so that the gimbal is free to move.

Where´s the logic in this? Don´t see it but at least I found a workthrough.

SMP

Arrrghhhh.. Fighting all day today with the bloody skyline and then the pan servo decides mid gig it's had enough and stops working as well. Deep sigh...

Note for balancing. This seems elementary but make sure you adjust camera tray height/depth to match your cam center of gravity as well. For example. T3I w 24mm likes 5 Holes up from bottom of tray. 5D3 w 24mm prefers 6 up. Heavy cams prefer top mount tray. Also loosen the right side bolt from factory omg tight. Do not overtighten the lower locating bolt on the skyline side as it tilts the gear plate.

Finally anybody know where to buy a friggen Savox pan servo that ISNT in Australia??

SMP

Can anyone confirm this is the stupid thing??

Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital Servo-savsc1258tg

clear1x1.gif

dani_r

Arrrghhhh.. Fighting all day today with the bloody skyline and then the pan servo decides mid gig it's had enough and stops working as well. Deep sigh...

Note for balancing. This seems elementary but make sure you adjust camera tray height/depth to match your cam center of gravity as well. For example. T3I w 24mm likes 5 Holes up from bottom of tray. 5D3 w 24mm prefers 6 up. Heavy cams prefer top mount tray. Also loosen the right side bolt from factory omg tight. Do not overtighten the lower locating bolt on the skyline side as it tilts the gear plate.

Finally anybody know where to buy a friggen Savox pan servo that ISNT in Australia??

Cheers for the tip :) Is there a method to finding the best tray position? or just trial and error? It's such a PITA to get the bolts out, move the tray, get the bolts in without disturbing the black ring on the non-servo side etc etc.

I might sell you the one I took out. I put the Roll servo on the Pan and upgraded the Tilt and Roll to MKS servos. It is working fine., but thought I would put a stronger servo in.

Tuukkuli

Was somebody suggesting earlier in the thread to use Freefly servo on the pan of AV200 to make it work better? This is not possible with AV130 as it has a midi sized servo and Freefly servos are normal sized. Any alternatives? My pan servo is working badly even after a lot of tweaking.

With three Skylines in the pocket, I have one working fine. But I cannot get the vibrations out. My specs:

Droidworkx AD-6
Axi 2814/22
Hobbywing Platinum 40a ESC
DJI WKM @ 1.6 with gains at 157 157 200 200 157 157
Skyline RSGS @ PH200

What do you guys think when you see this footage? :

Password = mrf

From 00:00 to 01:30 it's with the GP Hero 3 Black and after that it's with the EOS M (where it gets horribly bad)

I just performed another test with the Canon 5D and it looks the same as with the EOS M unforunately. It seems that weight is an issue. But I did not had this problem on a cheap *** F550 frame with tiger motors....

Forrest12

I have a skyline for sale, PM me with your offer.
I've sold my PH gimbal and other skyline and have no use for it any more. This one was used for a bench test only.

SMP

Cheers for the tip :) Is there a method to finding the best tray position? or just trial and error? It's such a PITA to get the bolts out, move the tray, get the bolts in without disturbing the black ring on the non-servo side etc etc.

The black ring is a pain in the ***. So is finding the right tension for it. It really needs to be loose to prevent tilt jitters but since thats the only thing keeping the camera (tray)from falling out of the gimbal it's scary to leave it as loose as it likes. We put a safety tether on our cams just in case... As far as hanging onto the black ring, best tip I can give is look sideways at your camera and split it in half to find basic center of gravity, set it on tray and see if the screws are above or below and then move screws accordingly. Keep the skyline side tight and move the black ring side first. This usually gives you enough tension so it doesn't slide out and fall to the ground. One way to to tell if the Camera COG is above your screws is that it will not balance and it is MICRO sensitive to small moves front and rear. Basically it will fall to the front, move it a millimeter back and it falls back, etc, etc. Once its below you'll see an immediate difference in ease of balancing.

Thx for the info and links guys, Servo on the way!

SMP

Hello All, while searching for a Servo I kept seeing AV200's with Gold Roll Gear Rails. Is that V1 or V2? Was this an upgrade, downgrade, sideways grade???