Photohigher skyline rsgs

Ok, i installed the SkyLine to my AV200 gimbal. Was very curious so went ahead and powered the the skyline without hooking on to the computer.... It worked. Then later i installed the skyline software and hooked it on to the computer by USB and did as the manual expained. I loaded the latest firmware 1.1.4

When powered on (by the receiver) and opened the software and clicked on com12 the gimbal goes to wacky.... then when i click on 'power on' then its kind of straight.

Now my understanding in the software is

1. Servos - in this menu i was not able to change anything. (nothing is highlighted)
2. Servo Centre Tune - here we put a spirit level indicator on the gimbal and get it straight and then click on "set level" after getting the gimbal level
3. Gains - Now how should the gain be tuned??? I've left it at the default position i.e. slider at the third pointer
4. Monitor - the page is blank, nothing here.
5. Firmware update - no doubts here.
6. Help - Page is blank :)

I got the gimbal straight and level using a spirit level indicator and clicked on 'Set level'
Next i clicked on "save settings" and it gave me a message "failed to execute command"
How do we save the settings?

After this i disconnected the usb and pluged back the pan input wire back to the receiver and switched on the gimbal, the gimbal never came straight. The roll was crooked and the tilt too. This was not how i did in the "servo centre tune" . Also the tilt is got a little creep, if left on for may be 2 mins or so it would've tilted to say around 30degrees or so.

Is this all happening because i'm not able to save my settings? Please help!

Regards,
Adarsh

Ryan Kempley

Had the unit working ok until about one hour ago. It was connected to the PC via USB, after i had finished testing the unit, i selected power off. It then disconected and now is in a state were all LED's are on together, but the unit shows no life apart from that. It is now not possible to connect to it. It also does not function. Has anyone else experianced this at all?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I got this email from Kim:

"Hi Yuri,

When using the Skyline it is important that you keep the power supply etc separate from any other flight control system. On start up the power to the servos is cut while the gyro and accelerometer warm up and start.

Some tips to ensure minimal RF interference:
Use a well-designed BEC that has minimal RF
Keep the wires from the power supply to the gyro as short as possible
Make sure none of the antennas from Rx and videos downlink ground or touch the frame of the gimbal
Some cameras can also put out some RF interference so it is important to make sure the bottom of the camera around the attachment screw is not grounding on the camera tray

We have just contacted a video production company and we are going to put together a couple of nice professional tutorials on the set up in the next day or two.

I don’t think there are any major problems I just think we need to make sure people are setting them up correctly. We are continuously testing them here and we are trying our best to isolate any bugs etc. Hopefully a couple of on line videos will help.

Cheers,

Kimberley Attwell
CEO
Photo Higher

WayneMann

Hi Adarsh,

before you click to save settings you must first click on "Power On" just above "Save Settings" so that it is not checked. Then you can click on save settings. You can not save settings if the gyro is active.

I hope this helps.

Wayne Mann

Last edited by a moderator:

I've connected the pan servo to the skyline and inturn connected the pan input wire to the receiver. By this way I don't have pan control at all. Is it the same with all Off you? How do I make the pan servo to work? Yes I'm aware that PH is yet to come out with stabilization for the pan axis. How do I get to have the pan?

@adarsh_007: if you have upgraded the firmware to 1.1.4 there is a bug in it: if you pan (whatever the method: by hand, by servo, by the machine) it will influence the roll and tilt.

so No pan at all for the moment :/

swisser

"I don’t think there are any major problems I just think we need to make sure people are setting them up correctly. We are continuously testing them here and we are trying our best to isolate any bugs etc. Hopefully a couple of on line videos will help."

I think most people would be happy, at least for now, with some decent written information - much quicker, cheaper and potentially more comprehensive than a video.

B

Bengit

@adarsh_007: if you have upgraded the firmware to 1.1.4 there is a bug in it: if you pan (whatever the method: by hand, by servo, by the machine) it will influence the roll and tilt.

so No pan at all for the moment :/

Mmmmmmm, bit dissapointed with all this, bought the av130 for £600+ and now the Skyline at £260 and still problems. I wish companies would release products that have been tested and not use us as beta testers. You would have thought that a firmware upgrade would have been checked/tested before release. Think i will revert back to the av130 and the Wookong M Gimbal Controller for the time being and just hope they get the Skyline Firmware right soon.

At this point silence is very bad for the image of the product.
today evrything goes fast, customers want new products,right now, even for yesterday man ! and the companies follow this wish: they braught product non finished with major bug inside.

I have no doubt at al that Photohohigher is doing his best to correct these problems, that's why they have cut off their phone line I think. (it would be a enormous coincidence if the two fact weren't related :) )
I hope Kim and his ingeneer will find and solve the problem very fast because I know tht when a product doesn't work, people are doing stupid things with it to make it work.

I'm gonna send an email to my customers ,requesting them not to use the skyline until a new firmware and informations are out.

Just thought of this, i dont know if this a good idea or bad one. I disconnected the pan input from the receiver and pan servo going to the skyline, instead connected the pan servo directly to the receiver and its working. Any pro & cons if used like this? Any which ways the skyline does not have pan stabilisation as of now, so thought might as well use it this way. Is there any serious flaw if i use it like this?

Hi adarsh_07: that's exactly what I mean by saying "when a product doesn't work, people are doing stupid thing to make it work" :)

In your case, you have had a good luck: nothing went wrong but if you ruin your skyline just because you don't have the patience to wait for the firmware (it could arrive tomorow or in 6 month we don't know) what will you do ?
request a refund from your reseller ?

I have just send the email to my customer requesting them not to use the skyline until problems are solved. I have also propose them to refund after checking the material. If I have a customer that make tests "just to see what happen" and destroy his skyline, there will be no refund.

I'm sure that Photohigher is doing is best to work as fast as possible but please: BE PATIENT ! :)

Dominic

Don't buy the skyline!!!!!!

Guys
Myself and a friend are trying to set up a small company doing photo & video work. We got the skyline for our AV130 which we use a cannon 550d in. All it did was strip out the role gear because the end points do not work!! It also goes crazy on pitch!! No field testing was done on this unit and now we have spent £280, on a unit which does not work. To add to this we had put a job off waiting for the skyline to come out and now we will have to do it without the skyline. In my opinion it's a piece of sh#t. I think there should be a total re-call & refund Photohire should also replace the striped gear for free as well!!!!!!

That's my rant over with.

cheers Dom:livid:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Why would you want pan to be stabilized? The last 2 person operator heli I used we had NO stabilization and it worked VERY well. The whole idea in a 360 gimbal is for a 2 operator setup. With this it would be pointless to have anything but manual control of pan. the only thing that should be stabilized is roll and perhaps pitch but that is optional for most shots I have done.

I just received my av200/360/skyline and my first question is concerning the missing pin in the corner of the Skyline's plug.

I will take warning from the masses and not use the product until I see videos/instructions from Photohigher. It's weird because Kim seems pretty confident that this product has been thoroughly tested and works great. Maybe something to do with being on the other side of the world as most? weird magnetic forces at hand? For now i will plug the servos directly into the RX.

The missing Pin in the corner is used as aalse sens detection.
If you watch closely the male Pin, it's glued so you can't plug it in the wrong way :)

WayneMann

On a three axis mount having the pan axis stabilized removes any movement in the camera if the tail rotor is moving around due to windy conditions. It is absolutely necessary in my opinion. I would not fly a mount with pan axis without stabilizing it.

Wayne Mann

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Hmmm, seems like that could be useful for some long straight shots I guess. Most of what I have done has been chasing cars and the pan is constantly being adjusted while the heli just flies on a designated path. but I see your point now.

Guys
Myself and a friend are trying to set up a small company doing photo & video work. We got the skyline for our AV130 which we use a cannon 550d in. All it did was strip out the role gear because the end points do not work!! It also goes crazy on pitch!! No field testing was done on this unit and now we have spent £280, on a unit which does not work. To add to this we had put a job off waiting for the skyline to come out and now we will have to do it without the skyline. In my opinion it's a piece of sh#t. I think there should be a total re-call & refund Photohire should also replace the striped gear for free as well!!!!!!

That's my rant over with.

cheers Dom:livid:

Hi dominic,

I have moved your thread here in order to maintain a coherence in this vendor board. You speak about skyline so I moved it in the skyline thread.

Dear customers,

We would like to apologise for the problems you have been having with the Skyline.

This is the first electronic product that Photo Higher has released and we have learnt a lot about how to go about it (and what not to do). As many have pointed out, the firmware and software has several bugs in it. We are working to iron out the flaws to get a stable and intuitive product to you.

The next firmware update will go through more stringent testing. This will mean that we will spend several weeks on it before we can release it to you. We are listening to your feedback on the forums and each comment is noted and will be addressed. The Skyline will have all the features on it that we have promised you.

For the meantime, please use firmware 1.1.3. Only roll input is disabled. You may have to restart the gyro several times until it is level however it will work fine once that is achieved.

Photo Higher