Photohigher skyline rsgs

iscorama

Im using iphone for leveling from the day one and still roll is never on level... it has nothing to do with that if you're using electronic or old school leveling bubble...

Tuukkuli

I think so too. Flew three flights today. The roll was way off on every flight. On one flight I landed and booted Skyline. No help.
Another problem is the very rapid movements of tilt and pan. I have maximum minus expo on the transmitter but the movements are nevertheless very rough. Anyone has found a solution to this?

iscorama

Haven't tried it myself but you can try to adjust max acceleration & max speed on skyline software - transmitter tab. Maybe that will help with fast and rapid movements of tilt and pan.

jip

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Blacksails

I had this problem with the Av200 for quite a while. Jittering when coming back to level on the tilt tray. Turned out being the screw that locks the tray to the tilt pulley (not the screw that it rotates on, the one below it) was too tight. Also the axle the single screw on the opposite side. When I loosened these off a bit the jittering vanished

YUP! That was the issue, single screw side was WAYYYYYYYYY over tightened from factory. Backed both sides off issue resolved, thx blacksail!!

Is that issue / that solution concerning the av130 too ?
I don't see "the screw that locks the tray to the tilt pulley (not the screw that it rotates on, the one below it" on my AV130 - would anyone be kind enough to show it to me on a picture ? It feels stupid I guess but I don't get which screw has to be loosened !

Thanks,
JiP

........I'm pretty sure that your Skyline is working..... With 1.7b version and an accurate XYZ level setting, I suppose that almost all skyline unit will do their job...

Don't bet too much on that. Unluckily not all the skylines are the same. I have a rev2 skyline and it's working perfectly with fw 1.7, but i have also a rev1 skyline and there's no way to have it working with anything following 1.25

Did like above. The horizon is still after making xy-z-autotune calibration maybe ten times way off :upset: Brendon and co. NEED THE MANUAL!!!
View attachment 12913

Hi,
When you are doing the autotune process is your radio transmiter on ?
You must have your radio Tx on and all the trim and subtrim set to 0.
If you do the autotune with your Tx off, when you switch it on after process, the receiver signal may be different.

place the spirit level on camera tray
press set X,Y, accept
use a mechanic braket to place the camera tray 90° toward the floor (and turn it FRONT, not back ! place it exactly like if your camera was shooting at floor)
press set Z,accept
click save the parameters
now replace your camera tray horizontal with spirit level
press autotune.

If the roll is going to block ore than 2 or seconds, switch off everything and restart. Sometimes the roll servo goes the wrong way and goes to mechancial blocking: very bad for the servo, it can be fried if this stay to long blocked.

SMP

Just to muddy the water a bit and to continue the every Skyline seems to be different theme... the roll seems to be doing very well, its the TILT giving me issues... Velocity under 100 - Gain at 100 too losw - 200 to slow - 300 to slow -350 to slow.. 400 jitters...

tombrown1

This is easier to watch :) :

400 is way too high. Mine is somewhere lower than 50. Make sure your gimbal moves smoothly. And be sure to fly smoothly. If you are moving forward suddenly then any tilt will have a hard time keeping up.

Last edited by a moderator:

400 is way too high. Mine is somewhere lower than 50. Make sure your gimbal moves smoothly. And be sure to fly smoothly. If you are moving forward suddenly then any tilt will have a hard time keeping up.

I started with a gain of 150, now it's on 80 and it's still there. So you are suggesting to lower it until it goes away (if it goes away) ?

Thanks by the way for thinking along :)

Anybody else who wants to comment this video as well? I really want to sort this out. The tilt bumps / shakes make me crazy and I really don't know where to look further.

tombrown1

In your house do this:

- turn the gimbal on
- gently tilt the multicopter back and forth - if it jitters move your gains down then lower them until jitters are no more. 80 still seems high to me (depending on what type of gimbal/camera you have).

You will not be able to find a gain setting that will smooth out tilt in non-smooth flying. You MUST fly smoothly.

Also, you have to be sure none of your tilt screws or pulleys are too tight - your tilt must be able to move smoothly.

AND - perhaps most importantly your camera must be perfectly balanced on your gimbal.

Good luck.

MikeH

Anybody else who wants to comment this video as well? I really want to sort this out. The tilt bumps / shakes make me crazy and I really don't know where to look further.

It looks like your tilt belt isn't tight enough. Make sure it is tight and that you can't move the camera without the servo turning. Also make sure the screw on which the tilt tray rotates isn't tight (this is the screw on the far side of the gimbal, not the skyline side) If it's to tight the tray will move in a stop start fashion.
Just in case you are unaware.... when balancing the camera you must be able to move it into any position and it will stay there. You can check this by slipping off the tilt belt and moving the camera. If it constantly return to level then it is sitting to low and the tray needs to be raised.

Hope this helps

Mike

Great stuff guys, thanks a bunch. Concerning the tight-belt-screw, if I loosen it a little bit, the servo will rotate immediately without being able to rotate the tray. A minor twist loosens the screw too much, but I will look at it again.

I am more worried about the balancing part. I have the feeling that since the Skyline I messed up the AV130 mechanically. For example, the neutral position of the tray is now slightly some degrees to the right because of the weight of the servo. Should I balance / compensate this with the camera position or should the tray be death level without the camera as well? I think it's loose now because I loosened the roll potentio (which of course is not working / disconnected now).

SMP

Tom, are you talking 40 on your gain or 40 on velocity gain?

MikeH

Great stuff guys, thanks a bunch. Concerning the tight-belt-screw, if I loosen it a little bit, the servo will rotate immediately without being able to rotate the tray. A minor twist loosens the screw too much, but I will look at it again.

I am more worried about the balancing part. I have the feeling that since the Skyline I messed up the AV130 mechanically. For example, the neutral position of the tray is now slightly some degrees to the right because of the weight of the servo. Should I balance / compensate this with the camera position or should the tray be death level without the camera as well? I think it's loose now because I loosened the roll potentio (which of course is not working / disconnected now).

I have never used an Av130 but the AV200 def isn't balanced on the roll axis with the camera removed. It is actually a really good question. I don't believe the roll axis really matters to much. if you are using an SLR then you will never get the roll axis balanced due to the design of the camera, With a vid camera the center of the lens can be the center of the gimbal however i think it would still sit to low to allow the roll axis to balance.

I have never balanced the roll axis and i generally don't have any issues. It certainly won't degrade the performance of the skyline if you did manage to get it balanced on the roll axis.

I would definitely just focus on tilt. That is critical

With regards to the belt-screw. Make sure the belt is tight by adjusting the height of the tilt servo. The screw on the other side of the tilt tray is the one that shouldn't be to tight (it screws into a small bushing that sits in the bearing) There is a big plastic washer that sits between the rolll frame and the tilt tray, if the screw is to tight it locks onto this washer.

I hope that makes sense.

Please clarify.

I go with Mike, with my 24-70 lens on the AV200 and 6 or 60D there is weight like everywhere from the lens and body. I am curious if we can neglect it with a smaller camera and gimbal like the AV130.