Photohigher skyline rsgs

... this is good only for a hobbyist level. ;)

I am just a hobbyist, but I appreciate that you might have issues if using professionally. (thinks... Wonder if I can straighten the horizon in post)
In the past whenever I have tried to turn a hobby into a profession, it has been spoilt for me.

Thomb

Can someone tell me if my skyline is broken when the tilt and roll just go wicked at auto tune or is this a shared problem and i am not the only one?

Kari

Can someone tell me if my skyline is broken when the tilt and roll just go wicked at auto tune or is this a shared problem and i am not the only one?

Same here but only with roll, it turns immediately to endpoint and starts jittering there until i turn it off. If i take roll gear up, tilt servo seems to do autotunig correctly, and it actually works suprisingly well atfer that. Also swapped dummy potis around but no difference, roll is totally uncontrollable, no matter what i do. What i don't get here?

nicwilke

Same here but only with roll, it turns immediately to endpoint and starts jittering there until i turn it off. If i take roll gear up, tilt servo seems to do autotunig correctly, and it actually works suprisingly well atfer that. Also swapped dummy potis around but no difference, roll is totally uncontrollable, no matter what i do. What i don't get here?

reversed in software yes and saved it.

Have you both removed the tilt belt and roll gear so servo cam move freely?
Then sit the tray flat and use the center values to slow down and stop the servos. I find this way slower but less severe on the gimbal. Once the servos stop, tilt and roll the tray with your hand and you can start and stop the servos. Once you have done it, connect up the belt and drive gear.
It should take only 20 minutes.

Thomb

1.2.0 is beta. For the FW, have roll servo connected to pan output on the Skyline cable.

i had the belt and gear loose. when auto tuning they kept turning i could change the numbers or slides nothing happened. Will try the roll in pan input? what logic is behind that?

nicwilke

i had the belt and gear loose. when auto tuning they kept turning i could change the numbers or slides nothing happened. Will try the roll in pan input? what logic is behind that?

There is no logic. It's just is. Don't auto tune. Manual tune only.

nicwilke

Just remember that the belt and roll gear correct the position of the Skyline when connected. That's why you cannot auto tune, it won't move the Skyline.

I quote Nickville about the autotune, so far i have been far happier with the manual (advanced) tuning too

The values of the center you may try vary from varios thousands negative to various thousands positive, i find the right values by trial:
After disconnecting mechanically the servos i set the menu to servos ON and then, in the "center" box enter 0, then 5000, then -5000, then 10.000, then -10.000 etc, at a certain point the servo will slow, maybe just a litte bit, it's a sign youre getting near to the center (or, if the servo reverses its rotation, you have passed the center value and must come back a little bit). Once near i set it precisely withe the arrows until the servo stops. Then....i better make an example.
If i see that the servo slows down when i set -1000 i start to use the arrows to make fine tuning. If, proceding with the arrows, i see that the servo stops to turn when i am at -1300 i go ahead until the servo starts again to turn in the opposite direction. In my example let's say this happens at -1500. The value i'll need to set is 1400 (1300+1500/2). Hope it is understandable, i am not a native english. Once te center servos are ok i set the servos to ON (EDIT: i set them to OFF!! Sorry about that) and proceed to save the just found values
My servos (two different brands, no savox) have both the center around - 1900)
Today i flew with the 1.2.0 and i believe the people in PH have found the way to make the skyline an amazing product. It was windy but the skyline managed the situation very well. Was it perfect? NO, but it was the best i have seen so far and i have tried many things, all the ones i know of except Hoverfly,radian and DJI (which has a horizon roll issue as well).
Was it enough for professional use? YES, we got paid, received many compliments and an appointment for a second race and i know a part of this is thanks to the little red disc i bought from Sue at PH.
But "professional use" has many meanings: what i always remind to our customers is that these are not 10 kg tripods sitting on steady ground, these are 5 kg machines floating on nervous air, if the shortcomings are not acceptable then maybe they better back off to another solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomb

I quote Nickville about the autotune, so far i have been far happier with the manual (advanced) tuning too

The values of the center you may try vary from varios thousands negative to various thousands positive, i find the right values by trial:
After disconnecting mechanically the servos i set the menu to servos ON and then, in the "center" box enter 0, then 5000, then -5000, then 10.000, then -10.000 etc, at a certain point the servo will slow, maybe just a litte bit, it's a sign youre getting near to the center (or, if the servo reverses its rotation, you have passed the center value and must come back a little bit). Once near i set it precisely withe the arrows until the servo stops. Then....i better make an example.
If i see that the servo slows down when i set -1000 i start to use the arrows to make fine tuning. If, proceding with the arrows, i see that the servo stops to turn when i am at -1300 i go ahead until the servo starts again to turn in the opposite direction. In my example let's say this happens at -1500. The value i'll need to set is 1400 (1300+1500/2). Hope it is understandable, i am not a native english. Once te center servos are ok i set the servos to ON and proceed to save the just found values
Today i flew with the 1.2.0 and i believe the people in PH have found the way to make the skyline an amazing product. It was windy but the skyline managed the situation very well. Was it perfect? NO, but it was the best i have seen so far and i have tried many things, all the ones i know of except Hoverfly,radian and DJI (which has a horizon roll issue as well).
Was it enough for professional use? YES, we got paid, received many compliments and an appointment for a second race and i know a part of this is thanks to the little red disc i bought from Sue at PH.
But "professional use" has many meanings: what i always remind to our customers is that these are not 10 kg tripods sitting on steady ground, these are 5 kg machines floating on nervous air, if the shortcomings are not acceptable then maybe they better back off to another solution.

thanks thats is more clear, i have the servos on and all on 0 and starting to enter diffrent numbers in the tilt. do i only press enter or change enter and safe it?

nicwilke

I quote Nickville and add just a couple tips:
i set the servos ON and then, in the "center" box enter 0, then 5000, then -5000, then 10.000, then -10.000 etc, at a certain point the servo will slow, maybe just a litte bit, it's a sign youre getting near to the center (or, if the servo reverses its rotation, you have passed the center value and must come back a little bit). Once near i set it precisely withe the arrows until the servo stops. Then....i better make an example.
If i see that the servo slows down when i set -1000 i start to use the arrows to make fine tuning. If, proceding with the arrows, i see that the servo stops to turn when i am at -1300 i go ahead until the servo starts again to turn in the opposite direction. In my example let's say this happens at -1500. The value i'll need to set is 1400 (1300+1500/2). Hope it is understandable, i am not a native english.

Well done. My servos are savox stock
I tend to agree with you were reaching pro level here. I don't need to justify a little post stabilization if required (if) to get that classic shot that may have a little twitch or wobble. We're talking about many seperate factors, including flight controllers, props, motors, AUW and COG. I'm really advocating this skyline because I've had a heap of other stuff that was just rubbish till I got my Av130 and skyline.

Thomb

I tried with manual tuning, in 1.2 software it wasnt working, tried it on 1.1.7 and i got the tilt servo at the point where it stopped tuning. The roll however is still having the time of his life turning tried all possible numbers still no luck there.

Thom

nicwilke

Are you using different cable connections? 1.1.7 needs tilt to tilt, 1.2.0 needs tilt to tilt, roll to pan. You're now confusing me... LOL.
Can you be more specific as to what isn't working?
I'd suggest just sticking to 1.1.7 till they release step by step instructions, this is beta, and may not suit you.

bordhead

Apologies for being slightly off topic but I lost faith and patience with Photohigher & bought a Hoverfly Gimbal stabiliser board.

Within an hour I had perfectly stable images. It just works. No resistors, felt washers, H looms, one power supply and great software to set it up. The loom is nice and tidy too.
From what I gather the customer services is top notch too.

Sorry PH you have p***ed off one customer here with deep enough pockets to make a difference to your competitors profits. I'll steer clear of your toys from now on.

Im not a pro just a hobbyist and reading these last few pages are confusing me on what has to be done with this thing to get it to work and now I may need to just go get the hoverfly. It sounds like a more user friendly unit with good results. really wanted the skyline but not sure this is for me..