Photohigher skyline rsgs

lanzo

Hyperion Atlas DS16-FMD burned

Today I have installed the skyline following instructions and flashed with latest fw 1.1.3.

I found the center of the two servos but, even with gain zero, they don't stop moving, they try to center but moves in the two directions with jerky movements, the minimum gain speed is also too high, after a little tweaking the tilt servo came hot and got dead.

Maybe they don't tolerate the skyline refresh rate?

Please suggest me a servo that works flawlessy, I have a custom made gimbal similar to AV200.

Thank you.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Has anyone heard of any updates from PH? I thought the gimbal would be ok from ground tests but now that I actually flew it, i can see mroe problems. the roll drifts and the jitters everyone is speaking of are prevalent in the video. As lanzo just said, even if you tirn the gains all the way down, they still jitter too much to be usable. So how is it that some are able to get that rock solid performance and others are not? Very curious to learn what's behind this.

DennyR

Yes I have the latest direct from the factory - at this moment in time the word Cagada springs to mind. It aint no Zen. OK for stills.:tennis:

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Looks like with a bit of post stab it will be acceptable.....Roll axis is moving quite a lot. I can post some raw from the S800/Zen for comparison if you want. It is so stable it looks like a still image. Worlds apart IMHO.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was told by Kim that they have a beta for the solution. I volunteered to be a guinea pig for the test firmware. They are going to make sure it is well tested before saying anything this time around, and i dont blame them.

Aviator

I was told by Kim that they have a beta for the solution. I volunteered to be a guinea pig for the test firmware. They are going to make sure it is well tested before saying anything this time around, and i dont blame them.
I hope it doesn`t take too long? I am losing time and money on the filming side of business..

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It's hard to do, but imagine you are in their shoes. You have made amazing physical products and have a strong reputation. Then you dive into the software realm and things dont go perfectly the first time around. You can be sure they are going to test the ever loving hell out of this next release before announcing it. And that testing involves world wide testers which will take time. Just in case New Zealand's toilets arent the only thing that runs backward, a little waiting is ok.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Looks like with a bit of post stab it will be acceptable.....Roll axis is moving quite a lot. I can post some raw from the S800/Zen for comparison if you want. It is so stable it looks like a still image. Worlds apart IMHO.

Aye Up Denny. So whats your solution for production companies that won't except footage from a Nex5 or GH2.

From what I see the Zen/S800 may be the most stable platform on the market but if no one wants the footage from those cameras is absolutely useless.

I just wish PH had waited and listened to us beta testers and ironed out all the problems then released it. Anyhow whats done is done and I am sure they will get it sorted. Personally I think its horses for courses but all I know is the companies we have worked for only want 550d as a bare minimum.

I am sure you will have something to say about that but that may be for a different thread. Maybe I should start one for 'So where are we with MR AV pal forms and cameras'.

Please all lets let Cedric run this thread helping them's that have gone down the £250 route rather than the £2500 one.

Dave

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
will the zenmuse even accomodate the GH2? I thought it was nex5n with the pancake lens ONLY? So even with the Nex you are confined to not using anything but a super wide angle lens. Agreed what I have seen is amazing but..... I guess everything has it's strengths.

Hi guys,

I'm turning back from a long week end without testing (but with wonderfull food tested :p).

About the zenmuse and the comparison of the product: it's clear that the zenmuse is a step above all other available gimbals for GH2 and NEX5 camera. The technology involved is completly different from those on other gimbals.
When Photohigher will propose the market the HERO 1000/2000/3000, we will compare the product side by side :)

To make comprison, it's important to compare the same thing.

Skyline is a dedicated solution to stabilization, Zenmuse is a full solution: gimbal and stab equiped with new technology.

I confirm you that Photohohigher is close to a solution for the Jitters problem. The tests are already started.

Best regards,
Cédric

DennyR

Aye Up Denny. So whats your solution for production companies that won't except footage from a Nex5 or GH2.

From what I see the Zen/S800 may be the most stable platform on the market but if no one wants the footage from those cameras is absolutely useless.

I just wish PH had waited and listened to us beta testers and ironed out all the problems then released it. Anyhow whats done is done and I am sure they will get it sorted. Personally I think its horses for courses but all I know is the companies we have worked for only want 550d as a bare minimum.

I am sure you will have something to say about that but that may be for a different thread. Maybe I should start one for 'So where are we with MR AV pal forms and cameras'.

Please all lets let Cedric run this thread helping them's that have gone down the £250 route rather than the £2500 one.

Dave

Dave

The solution Dave is simple, I don't tell them that it's from that camera. When I have finished with it they would not know the difference anyway. I only deliver what I know is of broadcast quality. What you have to understand is that the Nex-7 is like a lot of prosumer cameras. They are good for talking heads only. They do not refresh the screen fast enough for any kind of fast movement. When I teach my students to shoot aerial video I have a special rule regarding how fast you move the camera. With the Zen you can see an immediate improvement in quality when you stop the stick movements to the Gimbal. Most top line pros. using Cineflex and Ultramedia gimbals only use the stick for a fast position on the camera heading or following fast action where background blur is required. Once a heading has been set only very slow movements are done with the pots. (like your digital trims.) The major movement is done by the helicopter. This technique is the way to get a more natural view point and one that does not produce artifacts. Any camera that is panned too fast will start to strobe. Especially if you try to upload it to Vimeo where frames are constantly being dropped as a part of the compression artifacts. Forward motions are the best or rotationals. Even the fwd motion has to be limited as it will start to strobe around the edges of the image if you move too fast.
Most aerial footage shot with models is currently a good example of what's called hose piping. Too many unnecessary camera movements and not enough natural eye movements.
The subject matter should always enter and leave the stage without the camera trying to follow it. One can learn more about camera techniques by studying blocking and staging and another useful thing to know about is called crossing the line. This helps keep the audience aware of where he/she is with regard to orientation.
What the Zen brings to the table is the chance to use proper techniques that work autonomously. Probably a bit more to aerial filming/video than you ever thought mate!!!

FWIW I used 60% expo on the Zen. Tip.. Never shoot towards the outside of a turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

meme

Hello all,

this is for subscribing to this Thread, got mine today, but it will stay there in the Box until you've made positive comments.
View attachment 5217
Wanted to say thanks to you out there, testing and sharing your skills with it

best, meme

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-07-17 um 21.05.47.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-07-17 um 21.05.47.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 150

Lanzar

We tried the 4cell nimh bateries and the jitter is 80% better if not more. SO WE got rid of jitter with removing the bec and installing normal 4 cell nimh batery. So this is the temp fix until they fix it.
We tried it on av200, av130 and cs gimball and perfect results on all.