Need some information on NAZA and non-DJI ESC's

Rick~K

Free Bird
I have always used DJI esc's with my NAZA, I need smaller esc's for a tight fit. The DJI's are pretty much plug and play like everyone knows. I'm a noob when it comes to quads/Hex and other brands of esc's. I see some that has to cut all but control one wire but not sure what or how with a NAZA???? I've only programed through the Tx sticks like the Align ESC's. so I need some basic's. :shame:
Thanks!

kloner

Aerial DP
esc's with a built in bec need the red wire removed form the servo plug, heat shrink it back so it's shielded but you can get to it if you ever need to use a programer with it...... some of the esc's out there are incompatible, i think plush is one. What are you looking to use?

kloner

Aerial DP
you want something you can program simonk firmware to. hk has a new cable that makes that easy. i'd get an esc thats compaitible and working with that or get another MR dedicated esc that does the fixed throttle range, 400hz, etc. look at gothelirc.com and altitudehobbies.com for ideas on turn key ones,,,,, The hardcore guy gets hobbywing esc's, programs em right off the pads with simonk and rolls with it. Do you have to have simonk, no, do you want it when you fly it, you bet

kloner

Aerial DP
altitude just posted there ipeaka multirotor esc's in here,,, that's a plug and play option like dji to the best of my knowledge

skipper1

kloner,
I was just at altitudehobbies looking at the 10a ipeaka and wondering about their performance.

I've been working on a Flydumini and have done some things wrong and want new esc's. Would the iPeaka be a good one to use? Oh, I'm using a Naza on it with MT1306-10 3100kv T-Motors.

One other question about that. Instead of clipping the red wire on the servo cable, wouldn't disconnecting the black & red wire on the esc from power distribution board have the same result. I think this qualifies for a dumb question but I'd rather ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
I've never used em so can't give you specifics. there suppose to just be hobbywing esc's so they should work fine. the price sure seems right. I beleive there not a fixed end point like i thought they were, just relabled HW's which are known as the good ones.

no, disconecting that side just shuts off the esc. only removing the red wire from the plug and folding it back, piece of heat shrink so it can't short is best, if your a honey badger, whack the end off and call it a day, but that end can short out and if it did, it'll at least brown out that esc. If you take a razor blade and slide it under the little plastic tab on the connector, the metal end slides out..... it litteraly takes 2 seconds to remove it....

skipper1

Thanks for getting back, kloner. You're a tremendous help.

I liked the price of the iPeaka also and they had the specifications you had mentioned earlier.

Pulling that red wire should be no problem since I usually make my own servo cables, at least shorten them.

I've also started looking at motor replacements for my F450 & 330. I know you really like the Suppo and I'm beginning to like them more and more from watching your Discovery's performance. In a different thread, you had mentioned the iPower motors and that was about it. 2 things I like about them, the price and they just look cool. What do you know about them and which ones would be the DJI replacement I would want?

kloner

Aerial DP
the suppo have a better bearing but they require getting a different set of prop adapters. if your interested in the suppo, i'll find you the adapters at tower that are like the graupner ones, but not the shipping costs..... the place is out of controll at v-east. i use a set screw type instead of the friction type,,,,,, there $3 ea at graupner, but they get $22+ in shipping no matter if you get one or 50

I'm really liking there 2810 on 4s,,, that's what the video was on the tracks,,,,

skipper1

You know what, I am interested in the Suppo. You have proven to me how good they are so I just need to go with what's proven. This might not be the proper place to ask, but where do you purchase your Suppos. If not, could you send a pm with a name & website? I would want to purchase 10 so I could have some extras.

I have 9" Graupners for the 450 and will get 8" for the 330. I remember you putting 9" on that 330 you had. That looked pretty scary with only a quarter inch between blade tips. You're braver than I am.

I've had it up to my eyeballs with high shipping costs. It's just not necessary. Yes, I would need to get some prop adapters and would need to know where to get those also.

After I get the Suppos, you know I'll be asking how you go about painting them without getting paint inside the motor. The obvious would be to take it apart but I don't think you go to that much trouble.
Thanks again for your help, kloner.

kloner

Aerial DP
i get them at Altitudehobbies.com,,, these are the 2810 version
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...ess-motor-peak-450-35-28-1000kv-suppo-2810-12
that red line about using 4s is me,,,,,

these will hover all day long and lift alot of weight on 9", but there a 1000kv motor,,,,,, the 9" on 3s might be better than on 4s,, i know the 10" on 3s were great, just didn't do the wind as well. if your still light like 1500g, the 3s and 9's are probably spot on, your looking for a hover at mid throttle in manual mode,,, that's how you see what you got and where your at....

The 330's are fun, never tried a suppo on them, but i'd probably step down to the 2212 size, 8" prop on 3s should be fantastic. There so light it doesn't take much to fly one... i'd do these
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...ess-motor-peak-400-28-30-1000kv-suppo-2212-13

honestly, i've painted 12 of these now, all i do is mask off the wires, scotchbrite the chrome off so it's dull, scratch the gold annodize and hit it with this
http://www.tooltopia.com/sem-paints...=cse&utm_term=SEM39673&utm_campaign=nextag_r1

it is black so then your done. i got the green version and it takes a color coat over it... just spray it even so it doesn't get out of balance

I'm not stumbling on a suitable prop adapter, sit tight, let me sort this out.... Do you need graupner props too? or running something else? i found 4mm that fits teh motor, but 1/4" shaft... apc fine, graupner, not so fine
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMSF4&P=7

skipper1

Here's what I have so far. 450, 9" Graupners, 4S 4A Spyders, Naza and 30A OPTO.

330 frame and 3S 2.2A Spyder. I planned on getting the 8" Graupners but if there's something that works I could settle for that. I'm just nervous about DJI props. I will probably either go OPTO or iPeaka, still just shopping and reading a lot to avoid any costly mistakes. That's what's killing me.

BTW, I recently did business with Altitudehobbies.com and was impressed with their promptness and shipping charges, very nice on the phone too.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
if this was me, i'd order the prop adapters and props form v-east.... there a straight drop on for graupner or any other prop for that matter.... no special adapters to add to the thing....

http://www.v-eastonline.com/products/Air-screw-coupling-.html that fits the 4mm shaft motor

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMSF2&P=7 these would fit the 2212 motors, 1/8" shaft ie 3.175mm

and you really would want the 8" with the 4s power and 1000kv motor,,,,, 9's are gonna hover 1/3rd stick in manual, not teh end of the world, but it doesn't deal with wind like that near as welll. i say wind, i'm talking 5-20mph

skipper1

Thank you for all that info. Especially since I have to work all day. Since I already have the Graupner 9" and 4S 4A battery, do you think I'll be ok using the 2810's?

kloner

Aerial DP
yes but when you get to flying and trying to fine tune videos, especially the naza gains and oscillation, fff gets hard to tune..... if you don't hold the stick forward as far as it can go for minutes on end, it'll last with 9's forever and you'll most likely never change the prop size, but if you switch between man and atti, you'll get a small drop/rise between modes, not too aggressive

skipper1

Ya know, some of this I'm not understanding but will once I see and hear what you're talking about. Please remember that I'm not a very experienced pilot but need to get something in the air so I can be. What little I have flown I have just loved it and can't figure out why I didn't get into this years ago.
I think it's time to order some stuff. I think I'll concentrate on the 450 first and worry about the 330 a little later.

skipper1

Thanks kloner, I have 5 Suppos and 5 ESC's already shipped. The only glitch was the Air Screw Coupling from V-eastonline, they're out of stock. The other one is more expensive but won't break the bank, would you get that one or just be patient.

kloner

Aerial DP
they are in stock,,,,i just talked to him. You might try calling them tomorrow or wait it out them putting the inventory back in the server.

kloner

Aerial DP
do me a favor and complain about the shipping cost. i complained and told him all my friends were whining.... it'll help make a point