Need battery suggestion for a F550

Thanks a lot Will, you just answered all my questions. I will go for the Hyperion and Bella7821s idea with a car power charter.
Claus

N720HP

Hi Will,
Glad I read your post.
I was about to order a battery pack and charger and thought I was done!
I guess not. :(
Now I gotta look for a power supply.

Joe

WillM

Do either of you have local r/c hobby shops? If so, I would go and see what they sell there and talk to the owner(s). I learned a lot by visiting my local hobby shop, and in turn bought most of my equipment there. They are happy to help me with any questions I have about using the products I bought from them, or R/C stuff in general. Another thing is that they are convenient for parts and such. For example, they sell EC3, EC5, and Deans type connectors. I was interested in using XT-type connectors, but decided to stick with EC connectors, because I can get them locally.

Likewise, when I bought my charger & power supply, I knew very little about lipos. The local shop sells a few different brands, including Hyperion and iCharger, which were the two name-brands I was interested in (from reading the rchelicopterfun website a few months ago. I ended up with the Hyperion based on the shop owner's recommendation (it is the charger he uses personally). I bought the charger & power supply from him, and it came with some personal instruction & recommendations, a bit of education, and in general great customer service...all at similar to online prices without shipping (but with sales tax). Totally worth it!

You are totally right. That is the way to shop and I do not mind to pay 10% ekstra for good service, but unfortunately there are no shops here.

N720HP

Great idea. My local Hobby Town caters mostly to cars and buggies. Not much stuff there for those who fly.
They are very knowledgeable and vehicles but not as much for planes and heli.
Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Joe

Billzilla

*bump*
Hi I'm new here. I just bought a DJI F550 to be mainly used to aerial photography and am also pretty new to the RC scene ..... so along with this question I'll most likely be needing help with other things a bit further down the line. ;)

My question for this thread, after reading it, is to confirm that for the maximum flight time I'd be wanting a 3S battery with the biggest mah I can get?
I'm thinking something like this (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._TRA2878_Slash_VXL_Slash_4x4_compatible_.html) or maybe this (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...lightmax_8000mAh_3S1P_30C_AUS_Warehouse_.html) ?

The F550 will have a single-axis stabilised camera mount with a Gopro sitting in it. Plain Naza FC as well, nothing else fitted to save weight.

Kinda on-topic for this thread, is there a better combination of props & batteries that will give a longer flight time? Something like a Graupner prop that I've seen mentioned around a few times?

Wau, looks like monster lipos 80$ for 8500 40-80C that is way more than those Hyperion 5000 3S 25C I bought at RClipos (good service) for arround the same price. I am also interested to hear what people think about the Nano Tech batteries you referre to.

Billzilla

So a 4S battery with as high a mah as I can get would be better?
Obviously there has to be a balance between weight and capacity though.

Bella7821

I'm still a beginner but I don't think 11" props will fit on the F550. I don't have mine with me but if I remember correctly my 10" props are only about an inch or so apart. So the'd be pretty close to touching.
I just bought what I was told would be good so I got the 4500 4s Nano Tech batteries. with no payload I get about 11 minutes of only hovering with the stock props.
When I at 2388 grams with the camera gimbal and landing gear and camera I was getting about 8-9 minutes.

Billzilla

I'm still a beginner but I don't think 11" props will fit on the F550. I don't have mine with me but if I remember correctly my 10" props are only about an inch or so apart. So the'd be pretty close to touching.
I just bought what I was told would be good so I got the 4500 4s Nano Tech batteries. with no payload I get about 11 minutes of only hovering with the stock props.
When I at 2388 grams with the camera gimbal and landing gear and camera I was getting about 8-9 minutes.

Interesting, thanks.

Bella7821

Just measured the gap on the f550 WITH MY 10" Graupners and the gap is 1 1/8" so the 11" props will fit but I don't know if the blade tips being only 1/8" apart from each other would cause some weird buffeting.

Tahoe Ed

I test fit a pair of 11" graupners and there was a 1/8 inch overlap on my F550. I would not try them. Your craft, your choice.

gencode

Justin,

Is this the one you like
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-5300-4s1p.html

Also how much flight time do you get, I have a 5000 and its not much time at all :(

Joe,

I used the first several flights on my F550 to test out different battery configurations before deciding how I wanted to go. I'm running 3S just for the record, but you can easily do the calculation to determine what an equivalent 4S size would be if you're running that instead.

In short, I've decided to go with the Gens Ace 3S 5300mah 30C packs, as they weigh in at only 390g (~13mah/g!!! :D), cost only $40, and give me tons of flight time. I won't waste time with giving you all of the configurations I tested, so here's a quick summary of the notable findings from my testing with regard to the above-mentioned battery:

Stock DJI F550 ARF kit with Naza and DJI 10x5's (batteries run until unloaded voltage is 3.75V/cell)

1. 2x 3S 5300's for an AUW of 1950g - 21.5m flight time
2. 2x 3S 5300's with 800g of dummy weight for an AUW of 2750g - 11.3m flight time
3. 1x 3S 5300 for an AUW of 1550g - 13.5m flight time

I'm doing mostly all FPV and aerial video, so more flight time is better and that's why #1 and #2 will be my baselines. #1 (or a similar weight) will be great for an FPV+GoPro setup, while #2 represents 10+ minutes of flight time with 800-1000g of additional payload such as a gimbal and moderately-sized camera (i.e. Sony NEX, etc). For the record, I flew these flights as a combination of slow AP-type flying/hovering and some sport flying, so your mileage may vary, but this should give you a good feel for where to head on the battery front. :) Good luck and let us know what you end up choosing!

Cheers,
-->Justin

T

trevlan

hi , i am new here.

love my f550. crashed it and damadge the gimbal but a little gorrila glue fixed it...lol
it flipped upside down, the stock blades did not break or show wear just some dirt that was cleaned off. everything still ticking fine.
my fault on the crash nothing to fo with the f550 at all. stupid rookie mistake.

battery as an fyi.

i use 2 - 4s 3200
gopro gimbal mount
8" stock blades
2 servos
total weight of it is just over 5lbs or 2.3kg

i get avg 10min flight , thats working the servos, some hard flying as in going hard forward and back, speeding up to alltitude. etc.
i am going to pick up a 4s - 5000 this week and see what i get with one and go from there

looking forward to getting help from the forums and ideas on led mods and fpv flying. :)

T

trevlan

so todays run, i actually got about 14min with the above set up.

but after 9 min i landed then took off again and the auto shut down worked on that landing but the next land it wouldn't shut down, no matter what i did. i didnt know what to do, i took off again landed and nothing, tried changing from gps-att-man and so on, even put it in fail safe and nothing. it sat there with engines on.
so i took off hovered just above my head and dangerously held it and pulled each batter connector.
got home with the same batteries what charge they had left, i turned it on took off and landed and it shut down did this 4 times without an issue.

anyone have any ideas why this would of happend? short on something or what?