Need battery suggestion for a F550

N720HP

Thanks guys for your wonderful advice.
I came back the well again today with another question......
What's the best battery for the F550.
Any pros and cons you can share?

Thanks!
Joe

Justin Pucci

Joe,

I used the first several flights on my F550 to test out different battery configurations before deciding how I wanted to go. I'm running 3S just for the record, but you can easily do the calculation to determine what an equivalent 4S size would be if you're running that instead.

In short, I've decided to go with the Gens Ace 3S 5300mah 30C packs, as they weigh in at only 390g (~13mah/g!!! :D), cost only $40, and give me tons of flight time. I won't waste time with giving you all of the configurations I tested, so here's a quick summary of the notable findings from my testing with regard to the above-mentioned battery:

Stock DJI F550 ARF kit with Naza and DJI 10x5's (batteries run until unloaded voltage is 3.75V/cell)

1. 2x 3S 5300's for an AUW of 1950g - 21.5m flight time
2. 2x 3S 5300's with 800g of dummy weight for an AUW of 2750g - 11.3m flight time
3. 1x 3S 5300 for an AUW of 1550g - 13.5m flight time

I'm doing mostly all FPV and aerial video, so more flight time is better and that's why #1 and #2 will be my baselines. #1 (or a similar weight) will be great for an FPV+GoPro setup, while #2 represents 10+ minutes of flight time with 800-1000g of additional payload such as a gimbal and moderately-sized camera (i.e. Sony NEX, etc). For the record, I flew these flights as a combination of slow AP-type flying/hovering and some sport flying, so your mileage may vary, but this should give you a good feel for where to head on the battery front. :) Good luck and let us know what you end up choosing!

Cheers,
-->Justin

powerplay

I have to decide same, if i will get next week my F550. I have wookong M and a 450 g gimbal with a 350 g camera.
First i will try the f550 without gimbal with my S3 2700. Later with payload i bought 4S, 4000. I think this should be a good battery configuration.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
4s 5000mah on F550 with camera (payload) and 10" props.

Higher voltage = lower amp draw = longer flight = cooler running.

For fun flying 4s and 8" props is my favorite.

powerplay

Hi Robert,

some guys said to me, flying with S4 4000 with 10´props and my payload could destroy the DJI motors or esc´s??
What do you think about this?

Or should i take S3 5000? What are the flight times, you think?

thx

Guys, could someone shed some light for me on a 3s parallel setup. Do my batts have to be smae brand? Same mah, i have a 5000 and 5400... Might grab another 5000 of same c if need be are they wired with a y adapter

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

yoadrian

Hey Justin, would you care to give any advice on the F550? Is it a good frame, did you use the power distribution board? What motor / esc combo are you using? All I have so far is an APM 2.0 pilot board on order from DIY Drones and have a few months to put everything else together. I want to know what your thoughts on the F550 frame are and would you have done something different? I am deciding between that and the next level frame but like the built in power distribution board on the F550. It would keep wires more organized and reduce the weight used by a wire harness. Am I connecting the dots or am I missing something? Also what do you think the max payload is that you could carry?

jamienz

I bought some 4S 5000MAH 35C Zippy batteries from Hobbyking for my F550. So far performance has been really good. With a payload of 520 Grams (simulating what my camera mount will weigh when it arrives), I get about 8 minutes of "filming flying" - meaning mostly slow moving hovers and climb outs. Without payload I am getting 11 minutes usable sport flying (cruising around and doing punch outs).

All of these times leave the usual 30% in the packs so not to damage them.

We measured the amps the F550 draws with just the 5000MAH flight battery and no payload at a hover, and it was only 18.6 amps TOTAL. Thats only 3.1amps per motor!

Justin Pucci

Hey Justin, would you care to give any advice on the F550? Is it a good frame, did you use the power distribution board? What motor / esc combo are you using? All I have so far is an APM 2.0 pilot board on order from DIY Drones and have a few months to put everything else together. I want to know what your thoughts on the F550 frame are and would you have done something different? I am deciding between that and the next level frame but like the built in power distribution board on the F550. It would keep wires more organized and reduce the weight used by a wire harness. Am I connecting the dots or am I missing something? Also what do you think the max payload is that you could carry?

yoadrian,

I've got both the F450 and the F550 right now and I must say that, as much as I like the F450, the 550 is better in every way from my perspective. First off, the frame layout provides much more space for components and wiring...so much so, in fact, that mine feels naked and empty compared to the identically equipped F450. I use these guys for FPV and aerial video purposes, so having more room to pile on all the equipment is a definite plus. Second of all, the F550 is much more stable than the F450 in pretty much all situations in which I've flown so far. I've tuned the Naza on both of them as finely as I'm able to and I still find the F550 to beat the F450 hands-down.

I am using the power distribution board on both models and they both work great. I would suggest adding some of your own strain relief on the wires near to the solder joints (hot glue, zip ties, or something similar), but other than that the connections are solid and the setup is very clean and easy to modify rapidly.

I'm flying both models as stock ARF kits with all the DJI components in them as well as the Naza FC and they work great. I'm not familiar with the NextLevel frame, so I can't comment as to the comparison, but I can say that I'm pleased with my purchases from DJI so far.

Right now, I'm up to an all-up-weight (AUW) of 3kg on the F550 with two 3S 5300 packs in parallel and I get about 10 minute of flight time with that configuration. I don't have a gimbal on it yet, but I've been doing the duration versus weight testing to get a feel for what it'll handle. As I mentioned in my original post, this will give you over 1000g of gimbal/camera/FPV payload and still 10+ minutes of flying time.

There are only a few complaints that I have so far...

1. The DJI motor/esc combos seem to be hit or miss (caveat: in my experience only), as three out of the ten (F450 + F550) power systems that I've got have motors that start out slow and twitchy and then eventually spool up to full speed after pumping the throttle a few times. On the F450, I think I've traced this down to the ESC as opposed to the motors (others have found it to be due to the motors), but I haven't figured it out yet on the F550. To be honest, I've been having so much fun with it, I haven't wanted to tear it apart, but I know I'm going to have to figure something out prior to putting expensive camera equipment on it.

2. The DJI props are ok, but I suspect that this thing will come alive with Graupners or the like...now to find a place that has Graupners in stock! ;)

At the end of the day, I enjoy playing around on the F450, but had I known what I know now, I suspect that I would have just gone straight to the F550. That having been said, I'm holding onto the little guy since it has it's own perks...

Let me know if you've got any other questions. Thanks and apologies to the rest of the group for going off topic a bit... :(

Cheers,
-->J

yoadrian

That is awesome info Justin, thanks so much. I would also be interested in what fpv equipment you are using, but I need to walk before I run. I was considering going with the 450 to start and then up to the 550 once I got comfortable but I think I may just go for the 550 up front. I've seen in some other forums where peopl are running higher voltage and getting better performance. Can anyone speak to that? They are running 4S set ups, something about the motors running better on lower current?

Bella7821

I was in the exact same boat. i bought a $300 HPQ-1 with a nice metal case and radio. it worked great for what it is.
I only ran about 3 batteries through it and had it a week before I wanted the Flame Wheel F450.
I lost about $50 in the week of having it from selling it on Ebay less than I paid and paying all the fees.
I wish I would have gotten the F450 first and spent the extra $150.

After I sold it, I said what the hell and went for the F550. I had never seen either one in person.
This thing totally rocks, and I don't even have it dialed in yet. I'm so glad I spent the extra $150 for the F550.

I can't wait to get all my FPV stuff mounted and batteries in the mail.
I'm cruising it around right now with a 2200 3S but ordered some 4500 4S batteries.
I have my motorcycle helmet camera I'll be using to record video (Contour GPS, awesome camera)
5.8 200mw TX and range Video KX191 camera.
DX8 and AR8000 with the TM 100 telemetry module.

So my advise would be to spend the extra cash and get the F550 and be done with it.

Also, I read a bunch of places that if you run a 3S battery then use 10" props, and use 8" props if you run a 4S
The place I bought mine said to use the 10" with the 4S. I'm too new to quads so I'm just sticking with the 10" anyways.
I'll see if it flies differently when the 4S comes in the mail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Justin that was one of my questions before I will put my order on a 550. I have two more concerns. Which charger and which gimbal should I go for .
Best
Claus.

Thanks Bella7821. In the manual it says that 306B has an Input voltage range: 4.50 – 38.0VD. Maybe stupid question, but will it work in Europe with 240 V.

I have been looking at a

HYPERION EOS 0720i NET3-AD Charger
and in another shop at
Hyperion EOS 0720i DUO3​

There is a 100$ difference in price, but the names are quite similar. Not easy stuff for a newbe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bella7821

Don't know about the 240V thing. It doesn't come with an AC adapter.
I use a portable car battery station that I've had for a few years and it works great. similar to this. I bought mine from Costco for $59.00. You use it to jump start you car battery if the battery is dead in your car. it will charge tons of batteries on one charge, then when it's low just plug it in and charge it overnight.
http://www.peakauto.com/electronics-jump-starters_and_portable_power_systems.shtml
I
was going to do the computer power supply thing but this portable power station works great.

I have the eos 720inet, great charger/blanacer however i had to buy an hp hotswap power supply to get nice charge rates on my 6s, however a deep cycle battery will do the same.... The duo is the same charger with the ability to charge two batteries at once, know also that too do so at a good amperage you will need 24volt power supply

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

WillM

Thanks Bella7821. In the manual it says that 306B has an Input voltage range: 4.50 – 38.0VD. Maybe stupid question, but will it work in Europe with 240 V.

I have been looking at a

HYPERION EOS 0720i NET3-AD Charger
and in another shop at
Hyperion EOS 0720i DUO3​

There is a 100$ difference in price, but the names are quite similar. Not easy stuff for a newbe.

I have a Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo 3. It is a great charger. The biggest difference between the two Hyperion chargers you mentioned, is that the Super Duo 3 has 2 charge ports and 2 displays, so it can balance charge 2 batteries at once. The two batteries can be totally different from one another. For example, sometimes I simultaneously charge a 4S 5000mAh battery on one side and a 1S 250mAh battery on the other.

None of these chargers have a power supply, they all input and output DC current.

In order to charge your batteries from a wall plug at home (AC current), you need a power supply. The power supply converts AC power into DC power. You plug the power supply into the wall (AC), then plug the charger into the power supply (DC), then attach your battery to the charger (DC).

Get a good charger and a good power supply. The charger is only as good as the power supply. A great (expensive) charger is a waste of money if you use it with a poor power supply. That said, if you are just starting out, get a good charger that you think you'll want to have and use for years. Get a good quality power supply, but not necessarily the best you can afford. You should be able to get a good 12-15v power supply for about $100USD. A GREAT 24v power supply can be over $400USD. You probably don't need a great power supply now (or maybe even ever), but you may want one later. So, if it is in the budget, spend a little more and get a charger that could make good use of a more powerful power supply.

When you shop online or at your local hobby store, you'll notice that there is always a section for 'chargers' and a section for 'power supplies'. This is why. You need both if you want to charge from a wall socket. That said, there are a few chargers that have built-in A/C power supplies. From what I've seen, they are a compromise and are better suited to slower charge rates on smaller batteries.

Having to buy a power supply separately sounds crazy, but it makes sense. Power supplies are as big or bigger than most chargers. If the charger had the power supply built it, the charger would be less portable. As others have already said, since the charger works from DC power, you can attach it to a car battery or similar. If that is the case, you do not need to bring the big & heavy power supply to the flying field with you.

I have a Hyperion EOS 720i Super Duo 3 charger ($280) and Progressive RC 15V / 33A power supply ($100). This works for me now, but I will eventually get a 24 volt power supply.

Hope this helps,

Will