Naza altitude hold

aWanderer

Hi all,

Doesn't the Naza have altitude hold? If so, how do you use it? If I let go of the stick, it does not hold altitude... or is it? This is in attitude mode, not manual mode.

mailman35

you may have to make sure that when your stick is centered your throttle shows the same with in the assistant software.

Tahoe Ed

The Naza will hold altitude with the throttle at mid stick. If it is above that it will rise, below it will fall. Make sure that the MU is not covered by anything and has access to the atmosphere. There is a Baro sensor built into the MU.

aWanderer

I'm sorry, I don't understand... if my cyclic stick is centred, the throttle should centre as well? In the assistant, the throttle stick is wherever I put it.

Edit: I didn't see Tahoe Ed's post before I posted mine.

aWanderer

The Naza will hold altitude with the throttle at mid stick. If it is above that it will rise, below it will fall. Make sure that the MU is not covered by anything and has access to the atmosphere. There is a Baro sensor built into the MU.

Ahh... okay. I mounted the MU inside, between the bottom and upper plates. Should I move it you think?

Also, what colour should the light be flashing while you are flying?

TAPPEDOUT

Flashing yellow correct mode. Had no problem with mine, mid stick HOLD, above mid Climb, etc. As long as oriented correctly does not have to be in open air, just not inside air tight sealed box.

aWanderer

Thank you for clarifying this for me all. I appreciate it. I am going to try this again today. Maybe it is working, I didn't pay much attention the first couple flights. This will be my third flight (hovering) today. I have a 900Mhz 1500Mah Tx/Rx and camera on the way as well. I need to figure out how everything will mount eventually. Someone was making curved leg extensions for the F450 (trying to find that now) and selling them for $20. I think I will add those if I can still get them and another platform on the bottom. Anyway, now I am babbling off topic... I will try the altitude hold today.

aWanderer

Just can't get it to work. I have the MU mounted on one of the ledges on the side and the FC is centered between the plates as well. In the assistant software, it was very difficult to get the slider to turn green at 50% throttle, very sensitive. So what I did was mix the Rudder switch in so that when I flip the switch, the throttle locks in at 50%. I tried it yesterday and it doesn't seem to hold altitude well at all. Not sure what else to look at.

kloner

Aerial DP
When you calibrate, your not so much looking for the green bar to be green, you want your throttle stick at exactly 50%, like you made that switch. You hit "start", move all the sticks around moving the throttle to exactly 50% and hit finish. That makes naza see mid stick.........

you have to make sure there are no trims like idle trim at mid point or disable it all together and you want all your subtrims to read 0

So it doesn't hold an altitude as in put it where you want, hit 50% and there it sits, can be 53%, 48% and more so than just hold a height, it holds a height with cyclic input. in otherwords, once you got it not climbing or sinking, stop touching the throttle and move forward or to the side. it shouldn't drop like it would in manual. it can have a slight drop or rise when you go till you get a feel for not messing with the throttle at all. it's hard when your touching the rudder to fly around........

aWanderer

When you calibrate, your not so much looking for the green bar to be green, you want your throttle stick at exactly 50%, like you made that switch. You hit "start", move all the sticks around moving the throttle to exactly 50% and hit finish. That makes naza see mid stick.

Hmm.. I was dropping the throttle to zero and then clicking on finish. I'll recalibrate again and try this as soon as my battery is finished charging. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

TAPPEDOUT

Yes if setup properly and it works great.
Light slow flash in Alti Mode. Climb to desired height and move throttle to about 50% to lock altitude.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

aWanderer

13 Minutes off the 3600 MaH pack (almost exactly). hovering around the back yard. 3-4 punch-outs. Most of all, altitude hold is rock solid. I flipped the RUD switch and 50% throttle was locked in. Then I was able to fly some small circuits around the yard without any worry about the altitude.

There were some gusts of wind that came over the garage, pushed it up/down, but it immediately corrected the altitude. Yup, works perfect. Thanks for the help everyone. This tiny success feels good, as yesterday, I just found out that after my crash 2-3 weeks back, my brand new GoPro Hero HD 2 (or whatever they call it) is wrecked. So, that crash cost me about $400, not $100 as previously thought.

kloner

Aerial DP
hero2 has only been out less than a year and has a year warranty, unconditional no questions asked i believe. straight replacement, no fixing anything

good to hear. i just make a alarm beep tone at mid stick so i know when im at midstick......... that way when you do get blown down or up and it doesn't correct, you can quickly without remembering the switch.

aWanderer

Yup. I contacted support there yesterday. Waiting to hear if they will give me an RMA or not (praying). I enabled a constant 3-beep alarm when the RUD switch is on so I won't forget. Seems to work well for me. I like it a lot because I can fly around without worrying about alt.