My first FPV experience... I am SO stupid and ashamed

aWanderer

I would prefer, personally, if it WAS delayed, just like the real thing. Does your real quad have a delay? I guess they all do.

kloner

Aerial DP
if you had a sim that had a delay feel, that a low frame rate cause the pc can't do it. You at least want an nvidia type ACP card with a gig of memory or better for full screen, otherwise make the screen smaller.

This is looking out mine on a 22" widescreen lcd, looks just like a pc sim i look at on my 22" widescreen pc screen
View attachment 3776

Attachments

• 010 (1024x768).jpg
    010 (1024x768).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 338

kloner

Aerial DP
I would prefer, personally, if it WAS delayed, just like the real thing. Does your real quad have a delay? I guess they all do.

i have zero delay......... immersion duo 5.8

did have a crappy chineese rx that was a half second behind, horrible mess. if i hadn't had fatsharks with a built in rx would have never known. That'd be hard to learn to fly to a delay

aWanderer

Very nice video!

No delay at all. Damn. I have a bit of delay. I thought I bought all good stuff. My vRx and vTx is 900Mhz. This is my setup here:
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_50&products_id=366

I am using Fat Shark goggles. I am going to build an LED TV configuration and try that. Can you show a pic of how you powered the monitor and a bit of desc. ? Or is it as simple as red to red and black to black from the battery? Are you using anything to convert the power before it hits the monitor? (Ahh... I see now the monitor is AC/DC)

Also, what if your signal gets weak, will it blue screen? What are you using for an FPV camera (the one you're using to fly by, not the HD camera)?

kloner

Aerial DP
dunno, mines this one
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=265

The osd tends to pop up a little, but the screen was holding it's shot. i turned the blue screen off, but that just makes it go black like when i shut it down. 2200 feet and my spektrum signal was breaking up way before any junk on the diversity/tracking setup

View attachment 3779

my monitor thread is here
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3049-video-monitor
only thing different was i bailed the rx on the tv and hard lined it. When i mentioned fat shark, it's because the 5.8 with built in tuner is immersion receivers, there different, high quality, fast rates

Attachments

• 007 (1024x768).jpg
    007 (1024x768).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 282

kloner

Aerial DP
forgot to mention, am using the live feed out of the hero2 for the fpv feed, it also records the vid you saw...... my feed is exaclty like the video posted, you mentioned not seeing the ground, the hero2 in 960 mode shows straight under it. i tried using 760 or 1080 in various FOV but the 960 fills my view with everything i need, helps with fff too, can see forward when 45 degrees tilted forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

aWanderer

That is an AWESOME tip man.. I was gonna use the GoPro2 (which is what I have) but read that it was not recommended. This will cut the weight down to cause I can remove the OSD camera. Definitely going this route now after talking here. Thanks for the info and tips.

aWanderer

Wow.. that is soo impressive. Thank you for showing me that. I am definitely using the GoPro2 and a monitor from here on out. Once I get use to it, I'll try the goggles again. Now I have a very nice $100 OSD camera as a spare - lol That is one nice setup you got there. I think I'm gonna need a truck too :)

Tahoe Ed

Very nice! I did my first real FPV flight on Sunday. I also use Eagle Tree Systems OSD Pro and Eagle Eye. I did not use the Eagle Eye this time as I was not planning to fly far. I did the ski goggle mod to my Vuzix 920's and I am really enjoying the outcome. Very clear, dark and comfortable. I still need a lot more practice. But it is really fun!

Efliernz

Pete
I was as fpv newbee in the weekend too.
I have put some 3yo 320x240 glasses (I cant remember the brand) in my 20yo ski goggles and I have a 1/3" Sony SuperHAD camera and a 2yo V1.2 gps CE-OSD (with voltage + current measurement) on a basic CC 1.2Kg quad. I am recording with a capture card on a netbook... which isn't working well but you get the idea.
I finished the day flying in my park fpv'ing my Hoverfly quad in the wind and I broke it... twice :(

Take it slowly in a wide area first where dropping it won't matter - like my first video below (my 3rd fpv attempt)

Pete

RCNut

Hi aWanderer

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. You seem to have discovered many of the limitations/tricks of FPV flight in your first attempt. I've only been flying FPV for a few months so my first experiences are still fresh. Some of the things I discovered when I first started FPV pretty much match your experiences. Heres what I found:

Make sure you have plenty of open space around you. Its tempting to try FPV in a small local park or even a back yard but as you found you can get out of shape very quickly and the lack of space just adds to the pressure.

Stand near something obvious so you can find yourself in the camera. It not only helps when you want to land but its much safer knowing where NOT to fly.

Try not to get too high over your landing area (especially if its small). The downwards view is generally poor so you'll loose sight of yourself or the landing area (or both) at altitude and may become disoriented. Personally I dont recommend aiming the camera too far down (just a few degrees) otherwise you'll loose the horizon when you pitch forward. Its better (for me) to have good forward view and approach my landing area from further out rather than try to look downwards but it will depend on the camera and its settings. A preview of your flying location from google earth can help with orientation too.

When I first started, I found that forward flight was easier than hovering. Once youre moving forward you'll feel more stable (another reason why you need space) which will give you more time to look around. Each time you turn, always look for yourself in the view so you know where home is. If its a big area its Ok to gain height but avoid flying directly overhead until your orienation has improved. Every now and then reduce speed and practice some hovering while youre still well away from yourself. It'll feel strange. If you get too unstable just transition back to forward flight for a while. In my first FPV flights I took off and landed every few minutes to give myself a break.

I usually start my FPV flights with the quad facing away from me and I lift off and transition to forward flight almost immediately. Apart from the stability, it just feels safer to start by flying away from myself. When the time comes to land I usually just descend (with forward flight) towards myself and hover nearby keeping myself in the view while landing. I usually try to land into the wind so any drift pushes the quad away from myself (for safety).

If youre flying the NAZA, make use of the altitude hold. It'll ease some of the load.

Im using a combination of GoPro and Sony 1/3" CCD for cameras with a video switch so I can switch between the two (the Sony is better in low light). My video system and goggles is all Foxtech running at 5.8 GHz and I dont notice any lag at all. Everything seems to behave in real time. I prefer the view from the GoPro in sunlight but the Sony is clearer in shade (I can almost fly in the dark).

Heres a video I did last Friday.

The premature descent a few seconds before landing was the NAZA autoland kicking in. I had to increase the throttle to keep it flying for a few more seconds.

Bowley

I hate the feeling of being lost, its happened to me a few times and its easy to panic, I'm just starting to learn to relax just stop the MR and then once its still have a look about on a few headings and reorientate. Once I can see the way home the fear goes away. You gave some sound advice there rcnut I try to position myself by a prominent landmark and get familiar with the view home.
Did a bit of FPV last night, still at the low and slow stage. I pressed record on the gopro for the first time on an FPV flight because there was a deer darting about the field but it was too quick for me.

aWanderer

Nice videos people... helps to get back on the horse. All great advice. RCNut, I believe that you are correct about FF being easier than hovering. I've not stopped thinking about the experience and I keep telling myself "if you had only gone into FF, this would not have happened". I remember back learning to fly helis... my third heli was a .30-size Hawk Pro. There was a lot to learn there, but this is a WHOLE new learning curve :)

Thanks all for the advice and tips. I know it will contribute to the success once I get up in the air again. What a great forum!