My brushless gimbal result

Fredrik R

Like this
gymamypy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Macsgrafs

Frerik,

That's EXCELLENT results you have obatined, very impressive. I have 2 questions that I hope you don't mind answering?

1)Where does one get the controller board?
2)The nex7 is about 330g in weight, do you think your motors could handle 800 - 1000g in weight?

Keep up the great work, this is so impressive my friend.

Ross

Fredrik R

Frerik,

That's EXCELLENT results you have obatined, very impressive. I have 2 questions that I hope you don't mind answering?

2)The nex7 is about 330g in weight, do you think your motors could handle 800 - 1000g in weight?

Ross

Ross,

You can preorder them at viacopter, flydruino and csgshop.

Well my Nex 7 with the 18-55 lens close to 600 gram i think. Will test it with a 7D when my friend gets here ;)

Thanks, really appreciate those words!

Fredrik

nicwilke

Frerik,

Ross

Ross, the gimbal revolution is about to start. Theres a CX760 (and similar models) gimbal being developed now using the Alexmos controller board etc, with brushless motors. I believe its going to be a few months off, but it is coming and dont expect to pay through the teeth for it, as it'll be way cheaper than the ZenMuse and similar gimbals. If you are looking at building yourself, learn to rewire brushless motors and do the setups yourself, but I'd only suggest that if you have 10 times more time than you have wasted on your current system (that'd be quite a bit eh?).

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
It's one of the great things I like about this business/hobby, it advances with new innovations all the time.

nicwilke

It's one of the great things I like about this business/hobby, it advances with new innovations all the time.

Yes, I agree. one think that is good is that we'll all have access to great stabilization gimbals for a lot less cost than the current market provides.
I feel that what ZenMuse provides will be minimum standard soon.

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Update

Ok, so after a few weeks struggling, this is what I come up with.

Gimbal come out to be 395 grams ready to go (with out camera of course). It's on the heavy side, but this is the only way, it have to be ultra stiff.

Video shoot at 1080/60fps (Mode A, Flexible Focus option) Kloner told me to use this, so far this is the best I can get it to focus.

We have controller board on ordered, gimbal part on ordered. But probably 1-2 weeks out. We will be offering a FULL ready to go gimbal to fit a Nex5 directly, also it can be use to carry 2 GoPro. :D We will also be offer 3506 and 4006 motor both wounded and unwounded.

HOWEVER! there's a issue I could not fix or figure out, the horizon, as you can see in the video when I give it rudder, it seem to go off. I am not sure why. I have heard that this is a known issue for SimpleBCG board, plugging the output of the aircraft FC gimbal into the SimpleBCG board might have, but I have yet to try.

Here's pictures and videos. I don't think either my editing software/youtube like the 60fps, seem to make it jumpy. Raw file play fine. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQGetLNXwpw
https://vimeo.com/60614661

Attachments

• VX4.jpg
    VX4.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 409
  • VX401.jpg
    VX401.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 451
  • VX402.jpg
    VX402.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 459
Last edited by a moderator:

GotHeliRC

Quad using 2814 motor on 5s, home made frame, ZeroUav YSX6 controller.

Aside, what bit rate do you guys set to upload to youtube and video? for 720p and 1080p? frame rate as well?

jcmonty

Looks really good! Can you post the dimensions of that gimbal? You mentioned that you will be selling a FULL gimbal.. will you also be selling sans controller? I have a controller on the way that I don't have a gimbal dedicated for yet

GotHeliRC

Looks really good! Can you post the dimensions of that gimbal? You mentioned that you will be selling a FULL gimbal.. will you also be selling sans controller? I have a controller on the way that I don't have a gimbal dedicated for yet

Really? when I watched it on youtube and vimeo back, it jerk like crazy when it pan. Not sure why? it's smooth for everyone else?

Gimbal is 134mm wide on the inside. I don't know if we will have enough controller to sell it alone, maybe.

vip

Ok, so after a few weeks struggling, this is what I come up with.

Gimbal come out to be 395 grams ready to go (with out camera of course). It's on the heavy side, but this is the only way, it have to be ultra stiff.

Video shoot at 1080/60fps (Mode A, Flexible Focus option) Kloner told me to use this, so far this is the best I can get it to focus.

We have controller board on ordered, gimbal part on ordered. But probably 1-2 weeks out. We will be offering a FULL ready to go gimbal to fit a Nex5 directly, also it can be use to carry 2 GoPro. :D We will also be offer 3506 and 4006 motor both wounded and unwounded.

HOWEVER! there's a issue I could not fix or figure out, the horizon, as you can see in the video when I give it rudder, it seem to go off. I am not sure why. I have heard that this is a known issue for SimpleBCG board, plugging the output of the aircraft FC gimbal into the SimpleBCG board might have, but I have yet to try.

Here's pictures and videos. I don't think either my editing software/youtube like the 60fps, seem to make it jumpy. Raw file play fine. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQGetLNXwpw
https://vimeo.com/60614661

very nice, what battery do you use to power the gimbal?
2s, 3s, 4s??? is it your flight battery?
do you have two pre-wound motors to sell now for a nex5?

jcmonty

Really? when I watched it on youtube and vimeo back, it jerk like crazy when it pan. Not sure why? it's smooth for everyone else?

Gimbal is 134mm wide on the inside. I don't know if we will have enough controller to sell it alone, maybe.

Hmm.. it's didn't seem to jerk like crazy to me. A bit of fast panning, but nothing terrible.

sorry, I meant will you be selling the gimbal hardware - with no controller. I have a alexmos controller on the way right now. thanks

DennyR

The problem when you watch on Vimeo and Youtube is that the footage is highly compressed which results in some frame losses and color artifacts. When you add to that the connection speed of your provider and the time of day, you get a less than a smooth picture. It is not the fault of the original footage. It is ok for talking heads where the fames don't need a fast refresh rate across the whole screen. FWIW -The trick is to keep all of your camera movements very slow, especially in pan.

SMP

Wow.. so close... Can't wait for the larger 5d/RED gimbals to start arriving! Have 2 AV200/360s that are going to become car gimbals if this keeps up (grrrr)!! Looking forward to placing the order and thanks for the fast shipping on the other various parts orders recently!!

GotHeliRC

very nice, what battery do you use to power the gimbal?
2s, 3s, 4s??? is it your flight battery?
do you have two pre-wound motors to sell now for a nex5?

It drain quite a bit battery, I use a 3s 900mah 30C pack and it's only good maybe 3-4 flight. I think the best thing is to use a RX pack, low C and high mah like a 3s 2500mah 3C pack.

Hmm.. it's didn't seem to jerk like crazy to me. A bit of fast panning, but nothing terrible.

sorry, I meant will you be selling the gimbal hardware - with no controller. I have a alexmos controller on the way right now. thanks

Shouldn't be a problem with this, just deduct out the board difference.

The problem when you watch on Vimeo and Youtube is that the footage is highly compressed which results in some frame losses and color artifacts. When you add to that the connection speed of your provider and the time of day, you get a less than a smooth picture. It is not the fault of the original footage. It is ok for talking heads where the fames don't need a fast refresh rate across the whole screen. FWIW -The trick is to keep all of your camera movements very slow, especially in pan.

Thanks, I think I got it now. The higher the resolution, the higher the bit rate need to be. No wonder all my video look great on the computer, but when I export it I set the resolution high but the bit rate low and the quality go bad. I just now realize with Vimeo Plus you get to upload 1080p at 26000kps, no wonder some people video look like blu ray...

Wow.. so close... Can't wait for the larger 5d/RED gimbals to start arriving! Have 2 AV200/360s that are going to become car gimbals if this keeps up (grrrr)!! Looking forward to placing the order and thanks for the fast shipping on the other various parts orders recently!!

I was thinking about this, making a handheld gimbal. :D

good job dude, set one aside for me

Alright.

GotHeliRC

For those who have question about the HDMI output.

Here's a picture with the Hyper Thin HDMI cable that I am using. If you're using the 18-55mm lens where it sit back like this picture, you can get away with it. But if you're using the pancake lens where it sit forward then you must use a 90degree hdmi adapter.

I like the Hyper Thin cable, it's small and flexible just like a apple head phone cable. The converter I am using is a HDMI2AV Mini Converter got from Amazon for 35.00, strip it, weight only 17 grams. Cable is from Hyperthin for 14.50.

Attachments

• hdmi.jpg
    hdmi.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 403