My brushless gimbal result

AerialVid

Currently on the bench with the new 2.4 firmware I am here... These are different number than i was using with the previous firmware. I am sure these numbers will change after my first test flight on 2.4 Alexmos later this week...
Sounds like you might need to increase your I value, maybe?

Roll: 15 - .20 - 18 / 200
Pitch: 6 - .10 - 15 / 100
Yaw: 8 - .18 - 20 /150

Thanks for all the info, I add the 3rd axis as well and I get jerks on the yaw, any ideas? Have you found any good settings?

AerialVid

Thanks for all the info, I add the 3rd axis as well and I get jerks on the yaw, any ideas? Have you found any good settings?

I am back to version 2.3 on Alexmos... Most people are having issues with 2.4 for Aerial Work on other forums also. My PIDs are still way off for aerial work. Lots of bouncing... If anyone gets 2.4 working with some good settings please share.

2.3 settings below for me with the 18-55 lens.... These are working very well for me. Hope they can help someone....
Roll: 17 - .20 - 18 / 220
Pitch: 16 - .20 - 15 / 120
Yaw: 10 - .15 - 10 /200

yeehaanow

Thanks for those PID's.

I have a general question that somebody might know-
I'm using the original 2-axis alexmos board with the 3rd axis add-on, and even when I set the power to full, the motors don't even get warm, but the chips on the 2-axis board get very hot even with heatsinks on them. I was using the 70a high voltage board with the same setup and was in danger of cooking the motors if I brought the power up too high, even just over 200, yet the controller was only warm.
Since I've had problems getting the RC system to work with the high-power board, I'm wondering if anyone might know why it seems I can't get anywhere near the same power to the motors?

Cameraj

I am back to version 2.3 on Alexmos... Most people are having issues with 2.4 for Aerial Work on other forums also. My PIDs are still way off for aerial work. Lots of bouncing... If anyone gets 2.4 working with some good settings please share.

2.3 settings below for me with the 18-55 lens.... These are working very well for me. Hope they can help someone....
Roll: 17 - .20 - 18 / 220
Pitch: 16 - .20 - 15 / 120
Yaw: 10 - .15 - 10 /200

Did you get the gimbal working?

Cameraj

Checking in with you Boltzman, I still can't get the small bumps out of my gimbal, I think I will have to go zenmuse z15 ? Is there any other gimbal you recommend?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Wow. Finally got through the full thread over the past several days. Great read about a job well done. It's amazing to read about the development of alexmos firmware along with this gimbal - how far it's come and then look back at the start date of the thread. All this happened in less than 2 years!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
gets old quick don't it

Anyone have any luck installing a 3rd party 3rd-axis mechanism to this gimbal? Gotheli mentions an option to add-on on the site - but they are out of stock and apparently won't be getting them back in.

Thanks

jfro

Aerial Fun
Anyone have any luck installing a 3rd party 3rd-axis mechanism to this gimbal? Gotheli mentions an option to add-on on the site - but they are out of stock and apparently won't be getting them back in.

Thanks

I updated my Gotheli gimbal to his version 2 and got decent results flying a gh2 and black magic pocket cam (little on heavy side for the gimbal). Took the 32 bit board off my larger gimbal and did the auto tune. From autotune, I cut back just a tad and am fairly happy with the results. It certainly is a lot quicker to tune and IMO, getting better more consistent results off the32 bit board.

I am entertaining either selling it or putting a 5108 motor on the pan. Have a new 5d size gimbal coming in and will see how they mount and fit the extra shaft/bearing on the pan. I found a chinese pan motor cage for $80 dollars that I may go for but think it might be a bit overkill for the gotheli, which in my case is probably OK as I am flying on a quad with 3520 KDE motors for added flight time. Otherwise, I will just put something together myself when I see the logistics of how they support the pan axis.

It will probably be at least 3-5 weeks before I can try the pan axis though as new gimbal here this week and then new Phobotic controller card will be here in 14 days or so which will take all my time for a bit. All 3 of my MR's are flying pretty good and excited for some gimbal testing and aerial filming as the leaves start turning around here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I updated my Gotheli gimbal to his version 2 and got so so results flying a gh2 and black magic bmpc. Took the 32 bit board off my larger glimbal and did the auto tune. From autotune, I cut back just a tad and am fairly happy with the results. It certainly is a lot quicker.

Turns out he had them back on stock. Miscommunication. Have it ordered. We will see how it goes.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Turns out he had them back on stock. Miscommunication. Have it ordered. We will see how it goes.

I think for lighter cameras, you can't go wrong. It's really up to controller and holding powers of the motors at this point.

What camera are you going to flying?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think for lighter cameras, you can't go wrong. It's really up to controller and holding powers of the motors at this point.

What camera are you going to flying?

Going to be testing the phobotic with the sony nex5. Right now it's the AM 8 bit.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Going to be testing the phobotic with the sony nex5. Right now it's the AM 8 bit.

From the developers perspective and a couple of the testers, they think/are sure that the Phobotic controller will give a noticeable increase in holding power with a given motor compared to the Alexmos.

I'm counting on that being correct for my gh4/5d gimbal. It will be a weight saver for sure, especially if you can come down from the 8017 size motors.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
From the developers perspective and a couple of the testers, they think/are sure that the Phobotic controller will give a noticeable increase in holding power with a given motor compared to the Alexmos.

I'm counting on that being correct for my gh4/5d gimbal. It will be a weight saver for sure, especially if you can come down from the 8017 size motors.

Im not running anything that heavy - so my focus has been on the auto tune , which seems to be getting rave reviews from the Beta testers. Time will tell...