Hoverfly Big X8 Observations.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
No on board video yet. Stupid me bought a gimbal and have yet to figure a good way to mount it. This damn thing called work seems to get in the way as well. I have time scheduled tomorrow and this weekend to finish it up and hopefully will have something to show for it. I'm sure the wife-unit would appreciate if I could start making something productive. She says enough testing! :)

PaNt

guys here is a good question.. You put the props as per the manual or as per this pic???

Attachments

• X8Configuration.jpg
    X8Configuration.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 340

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
FINALLY!

A good day to fly and a GoPro. This has no post stabilization by FCP X and I told Youtube not to as well. I think it's a good start. I do see a twitch here and there and I thnk the gimbal could be adjusted better. I just eye-balled it as I did the settings. Now I have something completely different to learn. Maybe I have to increase the acceleration? I'm just using the HFP tilt and roll outputs. There is no dampening whatsoever on the gimbal and no stabilizer bar. I thnk I may add both and see if there is any difference. Sorry I'm not any better with FCP as the video is pretty boring... Bring on the comments. Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/PsLx0uXsJKM

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

Fred, thats about the same performance I get out of the Rustic Wave gimbal. If you add in the "pug" bar it will help a little too. The little bounces you see get worse on windy days and the pug bar definately helps then. What servos are you using on the roll and tilt?

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Stacky, I'm using the HS-7940 and HS-7945. I think the 7945 is on the roll modified for 360. Playing poker and can't look at the x8 to be sure. I have a "pug" bar in the works.

Stacky

On the Rustic wave a method to reduce the amount of movement of the gimbal due to its design is to put a bar from the down shaft of the gimbal across to the landing gear. The guy who tried it first uses the nick pug. Its not ideal but it does help.

You can find it somewhere in the huge rustic wave gimbal thread on rcgroups.

Whats a pug bar?

FINALLY!

A good day to fly and a GoPro. This has no post stabilization by FCP X and I told Youtube not to as well. I think it's a good start. I do see a twitch here and there and I thnk the gimbal could be adjusted better. I just eye-balled it as I did the settings. Now I have something completely different to learn. Maybe I have to increase the acceleration? I'm just using the HFP tilt and roll outputs. There is no dampening whatsoever on the gimbal and no stabilizer bar. I thnk I may add both and see if there is any difference. Sorry I'm not any better with FCP as the video is pretty boring... Bring on the comments. Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/PsLx0uXsJKM

Looking good. Is the X8 as good in the wind as they say it is?

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
It's really good in the wind. I think the longer arms are more stable as well. I've flown the x8 with slightly larger props on the bottom and it brings back the efficiency loss over the two same size props. I'm on 11x47 top and bottom right now because its the sweet spot for my rig. I have some 12x38's I'm gonna try as well. I still need to get the new firmware on and give her a go. This damn thing called work and the wife-unit honey-do list gets in the way of my passion... Oh well... Gotta keep 'em happy. ;)