Multi-copter crashes into skyscraper video

Uhhh because he had no RC control!! That's why.

He is probably an OK pilot, just didn't prepare we'll and got unlucky with his gear.

Most of you experienced guys out there should be able to tell this from a quick analysis of the video (blown esc/mainboard) so I don't know why you're asking questions about keeping the throttle up and keep harping on about the bad flying.
Yes stupid to adjust pants (lol) and not to keep the crowd back, and not to demark their flying area, and to fly in built up area with GPS as fail safe. But it was clearly a GPS RTH with not pilot control so I think actually flying the bird had almost nothing to do with the situation once the smoke had started.

Anyone got a link to the Nat Geo Octo fail? I'd like to see what gear they were using.

Cheers

Matt

Even if it was an ESC problem, why did he keep the throttle up? He should've landed immediately..

I've been flying RC stuff for quite some time and have met very ignorant people who should't be allowed to fly these things. One guy I know does AP professionally with HobbyKing 600E helis, he once asked me if it's OK to use superglue to fix a broken tail slider. I told him to buy a new one but he didn't want to believe me. He also said that it really doesn't matter if their heli crashes, because they have so many new ones, and that money isn't a problem! I was about ready to punch him in the face :apathy:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Well... actually the instinct to slam down your copter as soon as something goes wrong is not the best thing to do. I've been trying to work that out of my system, and having more successful test flights because of it. There's this feeling that being on the ground is "safe", so you stick close to the ground. But fact is, the ground is very dangerous for an aircraft. ;) I don't blame him for keeping it in the air and seeing if he could get control back, particularly if he was having control problems and there were people standing around. You can't take the time to have a look around for a safe place to bring it down when you are struggling just to control it. Of course, not know where people were, where was safe, etc. that's an obvious failure of the flight plan right from the start.

JLO

If someone knows the pilot he should try evaluate his willingness to recognize his mistakes and hopefully he could have humbleness and courage and after taking the heat from all the experts that dont crash maybe he could set the record straight on this forum on what really happened so we all can learn something, instead of only gang together, speculate on what happened and condemn the guy, I know this was an extreme delicate spot to fly and he may had overlook something, we all are worried about tougher regulations because of incidents like this but it makes me wonder if many fellow expert pilots have really ONLY flown in 100% safe areas in the middle of nowhere where if you crash no property damage or no one could get hurt come on...

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer

+2

I agree, I think we could all learn something if the pilot was brave enough to speak up. I rejected all the arm-chair quarterbacking as soon as it started... as it always does. Anybody who says "Well this could never happen to me because...." well it reminds me of the saying: "There are two types of rally car drivers. Those who have rolled, and those who have yet to roll."

If you think this could never happen to you, and that you have nothing to learn from it, then you are in for a surprise at some point.

Dewster

+2

I agree, I think we could all learn something if the pilot was brave enough to speak up. I rejected all the arm-chair quarterbacking as soon as it started... as it always does. Anybody who says "Well this could never happen to me because...." well it reminds me of the saying: "There are two types of rally car drivers. Those who have rolled, and those who have yet to roll."

If you think this could never happen to you, and that you have nothing to learn from it, then you are in for a surprise at some point.

Agreed... I experienced a prop failure induced crash. Seeing my reliable craft fall from the sky after installing some new and expensive props was an eye opener for me. That moment made me think of what could have happened on previous flights if I had such a failure. So I began thinking and researching of ways to improve my craft's reliablity. I would hate to have something weighing 1 pound or more falling uncontrolled from the sky unless it was over an open field. This forum has helped tremendously with builds, configuration and safety issues relating to wiring, props, flight systems,the do's and don'ts etc. I think everyone will learn from this video and think about safety during their flights (even the "arm-chair" quarterbacks have benefitted). :) (said with love...).

vispaaja

Besides the one that photohigher sells, does anyone know if there are any other parachute options on the market right now? Starts to seem like a good idea to have one onboard :)

nicwilke

Besides the one that photohigher sells, does anyone know if there are any other parachute options on the market right now? Starts to seem like a good idea to have one onboard :)

ZeroTech are developting one, similar to Photohighers balistics deployed shute. I know of one bloke who's developting a small CO² canister, its less 'explosive' since the whole point it to deploy a shute, not blow the thing up :highly_amused:. I used some CO² canisters to inflate my Vespa's rear tire when I plugged a nail hole out on a ride a month ago. 3 canisters in the repair kit was easy to fill the rear tire to a ride-able pressure, so can see one canister (size of a cocktail frankfurt) having enough to 'pop' out a shute. light, and with a screwed in canister, the valve tap twisted, it empties in less than a second. The tap could easily be turned with a tight torque servo.

+2

+3 - BUT!, There is no way he should have been shooting in the middle of the CBD period! If you look at their rates, US$80 for a still shoot and US$320 for a video shoot - that is enough information to tell you they are (were) a bunch of Cowboys!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The parrot drone was a viral advert which had been done using actors and cost a small fortune to set up. Despite what it looks like its not done outside Buckingham palace.

These guys broke the local laws here and if found out could be prosecuted. So we already have laws in place here for this particular situation. The problem is these guys quite probably have no idea they broke any law.

I am 99% certain I know who this is and its not the first time they have lost a multi in a very dangerous situation.

Im just curious how do you know this was staged?