Multi-copter crashes into skyscraper video

nicwilke

Sorry Nik, these guys have done a bunch of things in the last year that are pretty bad. He didnt learn any lessons when he dumped a multi on to our busiest motorway nearly a year ago, he didnt heed any warnings when he flew 10 feet above a football crowd or when he flew inside a crowded vodafone office space or over workers at our busiest shipping port.

Stacky,
I did not realise they are repeat offenders. I'm wondering if it is the same people who flew over the rugby a year or more ago.

Macsgrafs

Is that the ad where the NZ all blacks shoot it out of the sky with a ball ;)

Certificates/licenses etc will never stop this sort of thing, just like gun licenses dont stop criminals from carrying guns! It only penalises the legit op's.

Ross

Efliernz

Pete
Is that the ad where the NZ all blacks shoot it out of the sky with a ball ;)

Certificates/licenses etc will never stop this sort of thing, just like gun licenses dont stop criminals from carrying guns! It only penalises the legit op's.

Ross
Ummmm no.
That was me flying (like a teenager on purpose... I can fly better!) with Stacky :black_eyed:

That was fully staged, rehearsed, safety briefed in all... with a closed sports arena and cones and observers on the road (next to Stacky's car which was expendable).

Pete

View attachment 7337View attachment 7338View attachment 7339

Attachments

• P1070554.jpg
    P1070554.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 268
  • P1070558.jpg
    P1070558.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 283
  • P1070560.jpg
    P1070560.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 296
Last edited by a moderator:

Helirazor

Ummmm no.
That was me flying (like a teenager on purpose... I can fly better!) with Stacky :black_eyed:

That was fully staged, rehearsed, safety briefed in all... with a closed sports arena and cones and observers on the road (next to Stacky's car which was expendable).

Pete

View attachment 9524View attachment 9525View attachment 9526

That was you guys = Awesome. I'm gutted with this, it's going to put a real damper on the industry. And yeah as earlier quoted "sort the boys out from the men".
We do everything to be saftey conscious and then bam.
We also shot near that location about 2 weeks ago from a roof top, difference was we had a 20 person production crew incl 2 saftey officers and trafic controllers. It was also a no fly until the wind had died.
I have also heard about these guys and even worked next to them a couple of times, pos not any more.

Dewster

It certainly is not pilot error, look at 0:58, there's one smokin' ESC

Yes! I do see smoke coming from something. Loss of a motor/ESC would explain the yaw issue. Good eyes! I guess it was a total failure of the ESC when the craft veered towards the building.

The National Geographic guys had a Mikrokopter go down while filming a show about multi-copters. They said it was loss of a motor (on an Octo no less...). It looked like their ship just fell out of the sky.

Efliernz

Pete
It was funny watching all the "experts" critique it. It looks like fun but we worked our butts off.

Stacky got a bit more info on the MK... there was a nylon-tie pulled to tight causing a short - hence the smoke trail. It was a while ago. U know as much as me now ;)

Macsgrafs

It was funny watching all the "experts" critique it. It looks like fun but we worked our butts off.

Stacky got a bit more info on the MK... there was a nylon-tie pulled to tight causing a short - hence the smoke trail. It was a while ago. U know as much as me now ;)

Watch everyone go check thier cable ties after reading this ;)
right back in 5 mins............

Ross

3dheliguy

Wow... Yeah, this will happen glad it didn't happen in the US. What a shame, I wonder what was going through his mind when that thing took off. You could tell right away there was nothing he could do, well at least no one got hurt, I can only imagine the sh&$t storm that would have in sued if an injury would have occurred.

I can't believe the risks some of these guys take get a shot especially with people around to film you. If your going to do something questionable make sure someone doesn't tape you. Not that I condone any of this, but def would not operated while people could see.

I am sure these guys are reading this, so you might want take a hint, and be more careful.

I cant imagine what the person in the office building was thinking..."damn that bird was BIG"

I would like to see the footage from the guy opposite filming as well. Another great reason for securing the area and crowd control is to get rid of unwanted cameras....

The best thing to happen would be a community check list to come out of this. I feel sorry for the dude in some ways never good to ding your gear but in many other ways I think what a plonker. Wish I could afford to bash gear into buildings!

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
The National Geographic guys had a Mikrokopter go down while filming a show about multi-copters. They said it was loss of a motor (on an Octo no less...). It looked like their ship just fell out of the sky.

I think the problem is, that people are not leaving enough excess power to allow an Octo to remain airborn. Sure, it's a great idea to have 8 motors for redundancy. But fact is, you load it down with 10-20lbs of payload and your hover point is 70% throttle or more, if you lose a motor it cannot remain airborne because there's not enough reserve power to maintain control.

vispaaja

Even if it was an ESC problem, why did he keep the throttle up? He should've landed immediately..

I've been flying RC stuff for quite some time and have met very ignorant people who should't be allowed to fly these things. One guy I know does AP professionally with HobbyKing 600E helis, he once asked me if it's OK to use superglue to fix a broken tail slider. I told him to buy a new one but he didn't want to believe me. He also said that it really doesn't matter if their heli crashes, because they have so many new ones, and that money isn't a problem! I was about ready to punch him in the face :apathy: