Multi-copter crashes into skyscraper video

Efliernz

Pete
Stacky might know who it is... they are in the same city and he knows everyone ;) He never appeared to have it under control.

Stacky

Thats right in downtown Auckland, they shouldnt be flying that in there. Surrounded by high rise buildings.

Just the sort of thing to get the NZ CAA to clamp down hard. No safety zone, no marked landing area, the general public in close proximity. Pete (EflierNZ) uses High Vis jackets when he works, lays out a marked safety zone and briefs everyone around on the safety side of things. Clowns like these two will have an impact on petes work.

As it is the location is one I wouldnt even contemplate flying in, its about 100 meters away from one of Aucklands busiest shopping streets. Utterly ridiculous.

Stacky

Stacky might know who it is... they are in the same city and he knows everyone ;) He never appeared to have it under control.

I have never had any control at all....

I have no idea who it is, I suspect the High Spy guys. Utterly ridiculous. These guys are going to screw things for us.

Wow, the feeling you get in your stomach when your multi goes AWOL is unforgettable. Not a very good idea to keep that video on youtube. Only takes an official with a bad day to ruin it for everyone.

Efliernz

Pete
Definitely not a safe place to be.

I shoot in my much smaller city but I would never fly in a cramped area like that. Just nuts.

Pete

Dewster

Definitely right about videos like this...surfacing. Unfortunately there are many out there. One showed a near miss between a a multi rotor and a commercial airline. The wake of the plane caused the multi rotor to crash, but the video of it was crazy.

This is actually the second time that I've seen a video posted of a multi copter crashing into a tall building. I don't know what was going on with the pilot. I wonder if his spotter had yaw control of his craft thinking that he was controlling the gimbal. I don't know... Maybe the GPS signal wasn't good in the middle of the city. Either way.. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Yeah... AWOL craft puts knots in your stomach and leaves a nasty taste in your mouth. You can learn a lot from other's mishaps, mistakes and stupid maneuvers such as: props that don't disintegrate; proper solder connections between motors, esc, and batteries, proper control mode for flying environment (GPS vs. Altitude stabilization etc.).

Macsgrafs

I'm wondering why he didn't test his controls BEFORE climbing up? I always fly a low level slow circuit before climbing up....purely because of accidents like this video!

When I first started flying RC aircraft many years ago, an old guy said to me...practice landings ALL the time & now I laugh at people whose aircraft goes dead stick & they panic...I land all my aircraft dead stick except for my MR's, with no panic at all.

Glad no one was hurt with that crash, hope the pilot learned a valuable experience..."If you fly like a C**T expect C**ISH results"

Ross

Aviator

Blatent lack of experience.. You could see as soon as he took off, like everyone else mentions it is a miracle he didn`t land on a person or a car windscreen... The road should have been closed off for a stunt like that, at least it would have to be here in UK? I have flown in very built up areas with skyscrapers around but only within the area I have permission to fly in, there is a slight GPS problem sometimes, but it will never cause the machine to lose control? just not hold position, but if you cannot fly without GPS and self levelling then it`s my opinion that you shouldn`t be flying anywhere that would pose danger to the public, just in case there is a failure, you need to have the skills to bring it in safely. Learn to fly with a KK board first. This type of incident will sort the men from the boys, but also make people more reluctant to employ a UAV operator, and the authorities to make regs much harder. A Multicopter constructed for the right purpose is, in the right hands extremely safe.. Hexa`s and Octos are safer than full size in my opinion if a proper method is applied to carry out a safe flight.

Stacky

Aviator if it is who I think it is they have been at this for about a year, not sure what other RC experience though. With respect to closing off the street etc, here in Auckland they simply broke the law and probably have no idea they did. Auckland City council prohibits the flying of any RC in any public spaces except for RC designated parks or if they obtain a permit. if they had obtained a permit they would have had to have a far more professional safety system in place. Sadly these types of operators will cause other more professional operators to suffer via more restrictions. It pisses me off no end.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
It's all been said already but come on, he must have noticed straight away, why didn't he stop climbing or hit throttle hold?

Awesome video though! Even smoke!

I heard Team Black Sheep are in London, anyone confirm this?

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
looking at the video a couple of times

just lucky someone didnt get hit

looks like the pilot just casualy makes a call on his mobile while the cam operator goes to rescue the remains then just kicks the lipos in to the gutter

imagine if it landed on a parked car and then fell to the floor and lipos puffed and exploded and shot off under a car and set fuel lines on fire etc

just one possible senario

makes ya sick just watching it

rotary65

Just because you can buy it, doesn't mean you can fly it. No safeguards such as containment and safety staff. The whole situation was uncontrolled. Simply irresponsible.

hexa

That pilot needs a kick
You can see he was nervous as hell.
Not a confident pilot to be flying in such a location.
He lift off, copter spinning but was too drunk and a shamed to land the thing.

Imagine if the thing hit a car passing parked by with windows open young kids in the back seat. Lipo fell through window, car caught fire. Kids and adult got burned

I have noticed ever since mutirotor has become cheAp where by any **** Tom and Harry can afford one. There is more and more reckless flying.

This won't last very long.
Remember when cars was offered to the public who could afford it.
Men could buy a car and drive it with out insurance and driving
Licence. Not anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk