Latest vid with new Sunex lens on GoPro

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I just modded my GoPro with the Sunex Lens [FONT=arial, sans-serif]DSL355A-650-F2.8.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Well, I like the lack of fish-eye, but now it really seems to be susceptible to any movement.

My problems my be:
The new lens.
Making the earplug vid dampeners too long.
Gains too high in the gimbal.

Not sure; but here's the vid, enjoy.
[/FONT]<font face="arial, sans-serif" size="2"><span style="line-height: 16px;">

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
man, people say i fly in the middle of nowhere, thats a little further than that

when i look at it, it reminds me of when i take my hero2 from 720 to 1080 med or narrow. because of the tighter shot it shows more.

do you or can you get a polarized filter on there? it looks like alot of light

do you use earplugs for dampening? if so, show me what you got

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Notice that I'm not going real far. The area is called the Mer Blue Bog, translation = Blue Sea Swamp. (Nowhere near the ocean, go figure; crazy French). It's one of the largest bogs in this Canada, so having it go down would be a hell of hike through neck deep muck and shrubs, plus a $100. fine for going off trail in a protected area.

I think there is a polarized filter out there but I haven't found it yet. I think it would really help bring out the colours though.
Yes I'm using the earplugs as dampeners but I think they were too tall, They were about 10mm - 12mm in hight. So I cut them down to about 5mm. I took your advice from before and mounted the camera plate separately from the gimbal View attachment 6082 separated by the earplugs. I hope the shorter bits of earplugs will help.
I have updated my Firmware and selected 100Hz for the gimbal servos, seems a little smoother (yet to test it though). The Savox HS-255MG are 70Hz but 100Hz seems fine, I'm hoping this will help to.
I think I'm going to put some expo in my cyclics to make the movement a little softer, and lower the gain on the gimbal servos. If this doesn't help then I'll have to get a new GoPro lens, I got the Sunex to replace the original lens I scratched, it was about $50. cheeper.

Attachments

• Photo on 2012-09-04 at 14.05.jpg
    Photo on 2012-09-04 at 14.05.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 323

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have a Sunex lens that I used for quite a while on one of my GoPro. What I found was similar to what you're seeing, it makes the slighest bit of motion visible in the video and is really only suitable for use on a proper 2 axis gimbal. I used mine on Photohigher AV130 mounts and usually it was the first camera I flew with after doing setup or making changes to the mount or compensation settings because if anything was the slightest bit off it would show in the video. Even on mounts where the video looked nice and stable with other cameras the Sunex would tell another tale if the gimbal wasn't spot on. I eventually removed the Sunex and reverted back to the standard GoPro lens, if I want video without the fisheye look I have a bigger multi that can carry a "real" camera for that. IMO the Sunex is really only suited to high end stabilized mounts or use where the GoPro remains stationary, otherwise get yourself a really good stabilization program to use with NLE video software to get the bumps and wiggles out after the fact, that was the only way I could get stable usable video from the Sunex/GoPro combo on anything less than my Cinestar 6 with AV130.

Ken

P.S. if you're going to fly a GoPro sans the case you may want to invest in one of these, much less expensive than lens replacement... http://www.getfpv.com/accessories-25/layerlens/layerlens.html

kloner

Aerial DP
there you go

So on your mount, try different amounts of earplugs, different lengths, somethings gotta be better than that. looks like mine did right before i got it

man that cam is old, no display. is it lipo or regular battery?

on mine what i've found is it like the earplugs on there side, helps to make a support for the cam and it really really likes a loose rubber band. soft, loose, not very tight, almost not squishing the plugs at all seems best. That's why trappy is always looking for gopros, runs em so loose they fall off, but i got mine just a hair tighter so it barely wants to squish a foam plug.

What keeps the plate with the band attached to the foam plugs?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
The cam is not that old, it's just not turned on. The lens is the sunex and I put tape around the lens because there is a space between the lens hole in the camera and the lens' outer diameter. The tape is a kind of dust skirt.

I was thinking about turning the earplugs inverted, but thought most of the vibs would be absorbed in the thicker end of the earplugs, that's why they are turned that way. (Will try your suggestion next.)
ShoeGoo is holding the plate onto the earplugs and double sided outdoor tape is holding the earplugs to the base of the gimbal.

From top to bottom
1.Camera
2.Plastic camera plate
3.ShoeGoo
4.Earplugs
5.Double Sided outdoor tape
6.Camera gimbal

Bowley

I have completely eliminated my remaining vibration issues on F450 and F330 by using heavy duty velcro. Completely accidentally...a EUREKA moment:highly_amused:.

kloner

Aerial DP
awesome bowley, it's agood feeling to get past that,,,,,,,

ok, use shoe goo as little as possible but enough to hold the plug, i'd bail any tape, light on the glue, and put it like this
1.Camera
2.Plastic camera plate
3.ShoeGoo
4.Earplugs
5.ShoeGoo
6.Camera gimbal

orientate the plugs like this
i.php

I've had so many varrying results on end and alot more consistency on there sides

kloner

Aerial DP
gimble

013 (1024x768)_795.jpg

except i lengthend the bottom plate and put a bed of them plugs like that. Went from zero to hero for a gopro

kloner

Aerial DP
you know that band on there,,, is there a way to make it either a wide one really loose so it just barely compacts a earplug or a super thin soft one a bout the same. you don't want the plug smashed, super important, then if it's too loose, it jiggles. Theres a just right and the less it is the better. Guys that get away with velcro is usualy why. something about having tension and any harmonics across the front of these things drives em nutts. tight bands and hard bands are bad, even if there on the isolated side

This one worked flawlessly, still does. The kid that bought it crashed it, changed arms and props and flew it again with no jello in 1080p. That frame is the one to have,,,,,,,, crazy i fell on the layout so good..
002d (1024x768)_795.jpg

that rubber band barely touched and i believe by the end of that trip the band wasn't being used. that's camera velcroed to like what your base is ditching the band you use now

a really big part was the length of them plugs and how not being compacted but the camera floating on them is what made it work

this was hours after that picture

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
@Kloner,

Very nice setup. I noticed that you are using the top jack on your GoPro for FPV. I thought that was for only HD-TV, I've only ever tried the bottom plug. I'll have to try that top jack at some point.

Presently I have the GoProp HD (same one I'm have lens troubles with). I'm debating between spending the $100.+Shipping for a new original lens or getting a whole new GoPro Hero 2. I've heard and seen videos that suggest the GoPro is 2 is a big improvement from the GoPro HD 1080. I've heard that it will record 1080p at 60fps and 120fps for slow-motion.

I guess the debate is; get a new GoPro 2 or wait and use the cash for a better gimbal/camera down the road.

kloner

Aerial DP
i have that rear plug too. there analog outputs, transmits in whatever mode you got it in. flying with it, i use 960 mode 48 frames a sec

The 1080 mode also has three field of views, wish all the modes had it. when you go from wide to narrow, you get the exact problem you have with the sunex. med 1080 makes some nice movies if you can get the jello out. wide is super fisheye looking like your old lens in this cam

there like $50 off now. there should be a new one released soon

mines back at gopro on an rma, i can't seem to keep a gopro working more than 6 months at a time

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Cool,

Thanks for the advice, I might be going to the States next week when if I go to the Neat Fair. If I end up going I'll look for a GoPro 2.

kloner

Aerial DP
the cheapest brick and mortar on the net is showing best buy. alot of the sale places are just web based looking from searching real quick. That'll at least help cover the tax and get you dinner. $300 is really steep for what it is...... I'm in limbo as to what to do next for a cam. probably sit tight and see what all comes out this winter and pick the next victim

Sanderx

Kloner, have you seen the new Sony action cam. Seems like good competition for the gopro. 120 fps and lighter than the gopro. Downside I can see so far is that the connections are on the bottom of the cam....

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, we had a thread on it last week. it's a video camera format too. all my stuff is setup for a gopro camera type layout.

if the camera is gonna take over, readymade will have a way to get the feed outta the thing in no time

Price is right, but i'm gonna head the other way with a nex5