Inspire 1 Owner's Thread

rbendjebar

OK, here is a link to a site to download a draft version of the inspire 1 manual: http://www.eoshd.com/uploads/dji-ins...nual-draft.pdf

A couple of things I picked up from a quick reading:

1. Flight controller is named Ncor and is based on an improved version of the A2

2. There is a function called POI that allows rotation around a selected point, with craft pointed at POI while rotating around that point.

3. There is an ability to playback both video and stills with a button on either the controller or the app.

4. Pitch control only with single controller, pan can only be controlled with dual controllers.

5. Flight modes are GPS, ATTI, and F, with F allowing IOC: i.e., Course Lock, Home Lock, or POI.

6. Flight restrictions are baked in. Worldwide airport restrictions and max altitudes are absolute limits, with the app allowing user limits to be further restricted.

7. As already mentioned, Dynamic Home Point is only usable with a GPS-enabled tablet.

8. Gimbal control modes are Follow, Free, FPV, and Realignment, controlled and selected through the app (no dedicated switch on controller).

9. Camera comes with 4GB card, can take up to 2TB (!) card, with UHS-1 recommended. Controller firmware update is through Camera microSD card (huh?).

10. Battery has a whole slew of new protection functions, like auto-discharge after 10 days of no use if charge is above 75%, to prevent swelling. Many other protection features (I just hope they last a while :roll eyes
smile.gif

No mention of Ground Station capabilities or Follow Me mode. My understanding is that those will follow with future updates to Ncor controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

alexoki

Anyone know if it will be possible to map pan/yaw control to a single transmitter without having to operate with two transmitters?

rilot

At 0:46 in that video. The camera is really shaking quite violently when the craft is transforming. Doesn't look too good.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
At 0:46 in that video. The camera is really shaking quite violently when the craft is transforming. Doesn't look too good.

it looks like he camera shaking stops once the arms are in the up position. it's been suggested to me that some of the demo stuff your'e seeing is being done with high-time hell's that may or may not conform with the production units.

Tahoe Ed

it looks like he camera shaking stops once the arms are in the up position. it's been suggested to me that some of the demo stuff your'e seeing is being done with high-time hell's that may or may not conform with the production units.

Bart you are correct and the dampeners have been changed.

deluge2

Apparently not, based upon current documentation. With typical clarity, the draft manual has the following statements in an alert box:

"The pitch movement of the gimbal can be controlled by the remote controller by default. While the pan movement of the camera can only be controlled through the “Slave” remote controller under Master-and-Slave mode."

This seems like a major limitation. Perhaps the text is incorrect in some aspect, or future firmware will alter the base, single-transmitter feature set.

Steve

Anyone know if it will be possible to map pan/yaw control to a single transmitter without having to operate with two transmitters?

Bartman

Apparently not, based upon current documentation. With typical clarity, the draft manual has the following statements in an alert box:

"The pitch movement of the gimbal can be controlled by the remote controller by default. While the pan movement of the camera can only be controlled through the “Slave” remote controller under Master-and-Slave mode."

This seems like a major limitation. Perhaps the text is incorrect in some aspect, or future firmware will alter the base, single-transmitter feature set.

Steve

steve, fwiw i've never seen a helicopter where a pilot has attempted to control both hell yaw and camera mount pan simultaneously. i've built hell's where i could hand over yaw to a second operator thus simulating camera pan but i've never seen what it is you're asking about where one person tries to positively control both.

snurre

steve, fwiw i've never seen a helicopter where a pilot has attempted to control both hell yaw and camera mount pan simultaneously. i've built hell's where i could hand over yaw to a second operator thus simulating camera pan but i've never seen what it is you're asking about where one person tries to positively control both.

One scenario where it would be really useful would be during single pilot waypoint missions. While the copter proceeds on the mission route the pilot points the camera (tilt + pan).

Bartman

One scenario where it would be really useful would be during single pilot waypoint missions. While the copter proceeds on the mission route the pilot points the camera (tilt + pan).

i see what you're saying, and that's a great example, but wouldn't you be free to pan the camera using yaw during waypoint flight?

snurre

Well technically, yes. If the flight controller supports pilot yaw inputs during mission flying. Though I am pretty sure this was not supported in previous mission execution implementations (WKM and A2). At least not like a year ago...

Furthermore, from a flight dynamics point of view, panning the camera would be preferrable over yawing the forward flight optimized frame of the Inspire.

deluge2

Upon reflection, I agree this is not a major limitation, but it is a minor limitation.

A dual operator configuration provides maximum control, but there is not always a 2nd operator. I would love to be able to throw a switch (physical or via the gimbal app) to change the function of the transmitter's upper-left corner 'wheel' control (the 'Gimbal Dial") from controlling camera pitch to controlling camera pan. This would provide an alternative to yawing the whole platform just to pan the camera FOV and could be useful in single-operator setups, as well as in the use-case snurre mentioned above.

I do wonder why the panning dof are described in the videos as being 360 degrees, but the written specs all say panning is limited to 330 degrees. There does not appear to be any mechanical reason preventing unlimited panning.

Steve

Bartman

Well technically, yes. If the flight controller supports pilot yaw inputs during mission flying. Though I am pretty sure this was not supported in previous mission execution implementations (WKM and A2). At least not like a year ago...

Furthermore, from a flight dynamics point of view, panning the camera would be preferrable over yawing the forward flight optimized frame of the Inspire.

Maybe after a few of these hit the hands of users some of these questions will be resolved or workarounds will be developed.

I keep telling DJI that it is in their best interest to get one of these ASAP to someone who spends a lot of time at MultiRotorForums.com and who would be able to engage our membership in getting everything figure out. No response so far. :tennis:

Bartman

Upon reflection, I agree this is not a major limitation, but it is a minor limitation.

A dual operator configuration provides maximum control, but there is not always a 2nd operator. I would love to be able to throw a switch (physical or via the gimbal app) to change the function of the transmitter's upper-left corner 'wheel' control (the 'Gimbal Dial") from controlling camera pitch to controlling camera pan. This would provide an alternative to yawing the whole platform just to pan the camera FOV and could be useful in single-operator setups, as well as in the use-case snurre mentioned above.

I do wonder why the panning dof are described in the videos as being 360 degrees, but the written specs all say panning is limited to 330 degrees. There does not appear to be any mechanical reason preventing unlimited panning.

Steve

i have no idea why panning would be limited to 330 degrees, seems weird.

Maybe after a few of these hit the hands of users some of these questions will be resolved or workarounds will be developed.

I keep telling DJI that it is in their best interest to get one of these ASAP to someone who spends a lot of time at MultiRotorForums.com and who would be able to engage our membership in getting everything figure out. No response so far. :tennis:

I suspect thats what @Tahoe Ed job is. never hurts to have more hands on though :friendly_wink:

Tahoe Ed

Ok guys, guess what showed up on my doorstep today, my very own Inspire 1. I do not have to share any more. Yea. Now I can get down to real testing. The App and firmware are not set in stone yet. I am looking forward to that but I am happy just to have one.

Attachments

• 20141118_135257.jpg
    20141118_135257.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 278

Tahoe Ed

Mine came with an ND filter. I am not sure what value it is. There are no markings on it. Looking at it, it seems to be a .9 but I don't know.

deluge2

Looking forward to your hands-on reporting, and some pics of things 'under the hood' would be nice when you have a chance. Don't think I've seen pics of FC or IMU for example.

Steve

Ok guys, guess what showed up on my doorstep today, my very own Inspire 1. I do not have to share any more. Yea. Now I can get down to real testing. The App and firmware are not set in stone yet. I am looking forward to that but I am happy just to have one.

rilot

Mine came with an ND filter. I am not sure what value it is. There are no markings on it. Looking at it, it seems to be a .9 but I don't know.

That's good to know. I guess the gimbal can cope with a little extra weight up front then. I like to use circular polarisers and graduated filters a fair bit and so knowing that it's OK to take a filter is good news.