I wish I had known.... F550 purchase, build and first flights..

HansAuf

Not wanting to hijack your thread here, but I hope this info helps.

Why a F550 (6 rotors) and not a F450 (4 rotors)? Well, I figured that should I lose a motor for some reason then theoretically I stand a better chance of getting it on the ground, whereas if you lose a motor when you only have four to begin with, then well, it ain't going to be a happy ending.

A flat (all props/motors on same plane) Hexa or Quad will fall out of the sky using all but a few flight controllers, the Naza not being one of them. several savvy folks have already proven that a broken prop will take even those out. A Y6 or X8 (Equal amount of props on two different planes, upper and lower coaxial) can keep flying in most cases. Again, unless it's a broken prop. So while in concept, you are right, in real world application it's not.

For starters I bought the Graupner 10x5" props, there's enough horror stories of props snaping on this forum without me having to go in to why. I decided to go for the larger 10" after reading a thread here which recommended the larger props as being more stable and having greater lift capacity as well as the Graupner props being much stronger.

With 4S on these 10" props, you would be over amp'ing the stock DJI motors and thus shortening their life and drastically increasing the possibility of in-flight motor failure. I'm not saying this as a maybe with the stock DJI motors and 10in props on 4S, I am saying it's definitely over-amping them. I tested this setup for someone in person and it was way over the rating for that motor. My suggestion is to always use a Watts-Up meter and verify the actual current/draw/etc on your setup. If you don't have one, be sure to get one. They're invaluable and very convenient since they just go inline between your battery and power dist/ESC's. Also, check your motor temp the next time you fly.

The choice of props and battery really depends on what you're going to be using your hexa for, I went for the 10" and 4S battery as I'm using the hexa, almost exclusively for camera work. This combo enables me to have a stable platform with good lift and long-ish flight times. The smaller prop will give you greater manoeuvrability and the 3S is a good match for this as you're not carrying too much weight.
Does that make sense?

Actually, it's just the opposite. Larger props on 3S battery and smaller props on 4S battery is correct. Larger prop setups will give you a bit more stability, but when the wind picks up, the disc loading will make it more susceptible to the wind changes, and therefore intorduce more tilting and reaction to gusts. Smaller props will offer a little less stability "feeling" and feel lightly mushy. But, they offer slightly better penetration in fast forward flight. So it's a give and take to whatever you are looking to do with your ship.

Other than that, good info here for some folks that may be just starting out. If you are ok with it, I'd like to add a few based on some of the questions and answers so far.

1. When soldering, use a 60/40 rosin core solder. 0.32" diameter standard. Also, use flux paste on all the solder points. You'll apply it with a small brush. I won't go in depth with the explanation, but use it once and you will never solder anything again without it. :D There are videos on youtube that explain the proper way to use solder flux paste.

2. Search for a user "wdelarme" on RCgroups. He sells a replacment DJI GPS mount that is the best I have seen and completely affordable (pic below). I fly FPV, so I shield mine with copper tape and a ground drain.

3. If you have a shake or wobble, balance your props and make sure there is nothing loose and rattling against the flight control board or the frame that may transfer vibrations. Get a prop balancer. To add weight, some people use tape. I disagree as it slighly interrupts the airfoil of the prop and can still result in wobble causing behavior. Instead, add your prop balance weight by brushing on a very small amount of some Nutra Nail Bullet-Proof Strength Kevlar Fiber Formula. You can find it online or in some drug stores.

4. When using your ship for FPV, always use a seperate battery for your video downlink. Never use a tap to the main flight battery. If you are powering anything additional form the flight battery, use a good voltage regulator set to the proper voltage.

5. GoPro cameras generate a lot of noise. This tends to interfere with the GPS of your flight controller as well as your OSD GPS if you use one. A good solution for this is to first encase or cover your GoPro in something as simple as Aluminum foil. Yes, the same stuff you wrap leftovers in. ;D You can also use Kapton tape, or even better, adhesive backed copper tape. Copper tape that is used in Electric Guitar shielding is ideal and very inexpensive. An additional step you can take is building a homemade "Groundplane shield". These can be made for very low cost and are super effective.

6. Center of Gravity, or CG Location on your Multirotor is more important than you may think. There are many articles online on string balancing and tuning, CG for multirotors, etc. I use some of them depending on the situation. But I have my own way that's proven to be pretty solid and that is via temperature differences in the motors after a test run. Here's a quick overview of a Hexa in "X" config (For Hexa "Plus" mode the comparisons are slightly different, but very obvious). You will need a temperature gun. Start by taking your props off. Draw the same number of circles on a sheet of paper that are on your ship. In this instance, a Hexa, draw 6 circles in the rough shape of a Hexa. Draw a line cutting the circles one at a time in half. Now arm your multirotor and run the motors up to half throttle for about 30 seconds. Disarm your ship and unplug the power. Quickly take the temp of all of your motors one at a time and write them in the corresponding top half of the circle on your sheet of paper as the motor you took the temp from on your actual ship. You may have to do 3 motors, then wait for them to cool, then do 3 more. If you notice a huge variance in the temperatures from one circle/motor to another, repeat the whole process starting with the opposite motors as the first run and see if you get the same temperatures. Ok, all of that will give you a differential to use as your baseline. So, now put your props on, grab your temp gun, make sure you are outside, power up, and arm your ship. Perform a test hover (not flight, it's important that this is just a hover) for about 2 minutes. Land and DISARM the ship. Now record the temperature after run in the bottom half of those same corresponding circles on your sheet of paper. Now compare your after test flight temperatures of say your back half motors against the front half, or your left half motors against your right half motors. Note that there will be slight differences as you noted earlier in your run up without props on the motors. That was the differential I referenced earlier. Ok, so now you have a better picture of the balance of your ship based strictly off of temperature of the motors. So if one half of your motors run several degrees hotter after your test hover, then try moving some of your gear/electronics/etc slightly toward the opposite, or "cool" side and repeat your test hover until you get the temperatures about equal + or - your variances.

7. Heat Shrink! Buy a bunch of it and use it. Example: When configuring a multirotor and you get the motors spinning the right direction, take the bullet connectors loose one at a time and slip another piece of heat shrink over them. Reconnect the bullet and then shrink the heat tube down to hold those connectors in place. They wont come apart, but are still easy to get apart if you need to. By the way, you can probably guess why I started doing this. Also, I have gotten more thank you messages for this tip than any other.

If you get some time you may want to give a post I made a read. I had a lot of folks PM'ing me on several other forums asking questions like these, so I created a "recipe" of sorts with hints and tips. It also includes an equipment list for successful FPV setup. It's posted here http://m.rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t709427p1/ as well as some other forums. You can just google search "Multi-purpose Hexa Recipe".

It looks like you are having a great time with your Hexa though and learning a lot on the way. Glad you're seeing some success and hope you have much, much more!

View attachment 8227

Attachments

• 2012-09-19 22.25.29.jpg
    2012-09-19 22.25.29.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 336
Last edited by a moderator:

So much to learn so little time! LOL

Hey guys more good information, keep it coming.

As I'm looking forward to my next step and practicing my flying with my entry level quad. I keep changing my mind on what direction to go next sometimes hour by hour! Should I buy RTF (Ready to fly)?? Should I buy piece by piece or a kit? and build myself? Should I go quad rotor or hexacopter copter?

I guess my next question is how much do you really save on a F450 or F550 By building yourself from scratch?

I'm also getting ready to order my new transmitter. I haven't spent as much time on researching this, so I am a little confused at what is the best brand for a newbie and something you can grow into too? I really think it would be beneficial to have something that is easy to program and set up with the Wookong and Naza system. I'm thinking of either the Spektrum DX8 or the Futaba T8FG. Any thoughts here??

Thanks Tony.

VINHEX

There is not much in price to get ready to fly but setting up yourself teaches you all about what you need to know. Plus there is plenty of info on this forum to help set you up. I started with mine from scratch and using a DX8 which is perfect for me, plus I've got the telemetry on as well which gives me more piece of mind. Was also thinking of getting the Spektrum GPS so if by Any chance it drops for some reason I've got it's location on my controller, I say build your own and DX8 but others may disagree.

Vin
DJI F550, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Graupner 10x5 e-Props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, Bank balance 0.00
DJI iOSD

mmurfitt

Hey guys more good information, keep it coming.

As I'm looking forward to my next step and practicing my flying with my entry level quad. I keep changing my mind on what direction to go next sometimes hour by hour! Should I buy RTF (Ready to fly)?? Should I buy piece by piece or a kit? and build myself? Should I go quad rotor or hexacopter copter?

I guess my next question is how much do you really save on a F450 or F550 By building yourself from scratch?

I'm also getting ready to order my new transmitter. I haven't spent as much time on researching this, so I am a little confused at what is the best brand for a newbie and something you can grow into too? I really think it would be beneficial to have something that is easy to program and set up with the Wookong and Naza system. I'm thinking of either the Spektrum DX8 or the Futaba T8FG. Any thoughts here??

Thanks Tony.

Hey Tony,
I completely agree with VINF550, definitely build your own. It's a steep learning curve but not insurmountable, and if/when it goes wrong or you need to carry out maintenance or upgrades you'll know what's what and where it is.
However, if you have a big pile of cash then you could pay someone else to do it I suppose, but every time it went wrong or you need to tweak something you'd have to pay someone else to sort it out, which as you can imagine could get rather expensive.
To be honest, half the fun is building the thing, and as scary as that seems at the start it's actually pretty cool and very rewarding.
My advice? Read as much of content on this forum as you can, watch as many video's as you have time for and you'll find before long you'll know stuff.
Regarding transmitter, I went for the DX8 as it seemed to be widely used, but more importantly the manual, and associated help files aren't written in Chinglish (translated from Chinese in to English).
I love my DX8, there's not a feature that it doesn't have that I wish for, don't get me wrong it's fairly scary opening the box for the first time and seeing all those switches and thinking 'what the heck!' but like everything else, you get used to it.

mmurfitt

Not wanting to hijack your thread here, but I hope this info helps.

Goodness me!
That's a lot of info, a lot of great info.
Reading your post just goes to show what a complete noob I am!
If you have time could you dig out a link to the type of heat gun your talking about, maybe on hobbyking if poss?
Getting the CG sorted out by motor temp sounds like a great idea, up to now I've just put a finger underneath two opposite motors and if it doesn't tip forwards or backwards then I've been happy.. :)

It makes sense what you said about the larger prop and motors, I've been thinking of upgrading my motors at some point, so this may be the catalyst to do it.
And, damn it but I wish I'd have seen your tip about the heatshrink on the bullet connectors!! Damn it!
I've soldered all my bullet connectors in place, so now I can't get them out even if I wanted to, damn it, damn it, damn it!
Actually, having said that I thought soldering them in place was to give them a better connection...?
I had a small crash with one of the motors (I think) giving out and plunging my hexa in to the grass. Fortunately I was only however at 10ft so no damage was done, but when I checked over the hexa none of the bullet connectors had come loose, I couldn't see anything. And, since I soldered the bullet connectors together I've not had any further issues.

I think I may have used a sledgehammer to crack a nut with the soldering...hmmmm

HansAuf

Goodness me!
That's a lot of info, a lot of great info.
Reading your post just goes to show what a complete noob I am!
If you have time could you dig out a link to the type of heat gun your talking about, maybe on hobbyking if poss?
Getting the CG sorted out by motor temp sounds like a great idea, up to now I've just put a finger underneath two opposite motors and if it doesn't tip forwards or backwards then I've been happy.. :)

Np a'tall. Glad to help out. As far as the heat gun goes, you can use a hobby heat gun of any kind. I loaned my really nice heat gun that I used for heat shrink for years out and never saw it again. So I had a Hangar 9 Heat gun for use on Monokote and I broke it out. It ended up working great, so I never replaced the other gun. That Hangar 9 gun goes for $19 US in most hobby shops, but any old heat gun used for shrink covering will work. The HobbyKing is only a dollar less US though.

It makes sense what you said about the larger prop and motors, I've been thinking of upgrading my motors at some point, so this may be the catalyst to do it.

The motors I suggest in that thread are fantastic. I've been using them and recommending them for a long time and have heard nothing but success with them. With your frame though, if you rally want to go nuts, there are some frame extenders that will allow you to use Avroto motors. Which are probably my favorite for AP stuff. But the others work just fine too. Also, you can actually use a Graupner 9x5 on your motors without driving them too far over spec. They will go over, but only very slightly.

And, damn it but I wish I'd have seen your tip about the heatshrink on the bullet connectors!! Damn it!
I've soldered all my bullet connectors in place, so now I can't get them out even if I wanted to, damn it, damn it, damn it!
Actually, having said that I thought soldering them in place was to give them a better connection...?
I had a small crash with one of the motors (I think) giving out and plunging my hexa in to the grass. Fortunately I was only however at 10ft so no damage was done, but when I checked over the hexa none of the bullet connectors had come loose, I couldn't see anything. And, since I soldered the bullet connectors together I've not had any further issues.

Your hard soldered connection is truly the most conductive. You really cant go wrong with it, unless you need to change a motor out in the field. Then it adds an additional step of soldering instead of unplug/plug. If you use bullets, you can also use this stuff called Deoxit. It prevents any corrosion buildup and also helps conductivity. I love the stuff.

mmurfitt

Np a'tall. Glad to help out. As far as the heat gun goes, you can use a hobby heat gun of any kind. I loaned my really nice heat gun that I used for heat shrink for years out and never saw it again. So I had a Hangar 9 Heat gun for use on Monokote and I broke it out. It ended up working great, so I never replaced the other gun. That Hangar 9 gun goes for $19 US in most hobby shops, but any old heat gun used for shrink covering will work. The HobbyKing is only a dollar less US though.

Sorry, I got my 'guns' mixed up, I meant to ask you what temp gun you use/would recommend?

Topflight

mmurfitt,
I see your using a least 2 waterbuoys on your bird. Whats the weight your flying at? I was going to purchase some, but it says they only lift 1 pound each. I'm 2 ounces short of 8 pounds and still adding. Lot of my flying is above the shores of Lake Superior
Topflight

mmurfitt

mmurfitt,
I see your using a least 2 waterbuoys on your bird. Whats the weight your flying at? I was going to purchase some, but it says they only lift 1 pound each. I'm 2 ounces short of 8 pounds and still adding. Lot of my flying is above the shores of Lake Superior
Topflight

Hey,
The waterbouys have the capacity to lift 1kg each, so with my hexa being a little under 2kg I should be fine with two of them. Although i'm not actually sure what use the hexa will be after fishing it out the water should I ever need the waterbouys as they only inflate at 1m below the surface meaning all the electronics on board will be properly fried! I'm fact I think the only thing which will be able to be reused will be the frame, and maybe the top and bottom plates, arguably the cheapest parts on the F550! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
As a beginner at soldering, I have been doing a huge amount of research. One thing I'm a bit confused about is what do I use to clean excess flux off the solder pads on the bottom board of the F550?
Suggestions?
Thanks!

What sort of flux, if your using cored solder methylated spirits does a good job of removing flux otherwise with killed spirit of salts water.

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
What sort of flux, if your using cored solder methylated spirits does a good job of removing flux otherwise with killed spirit of salts water.

Thanks. But can you recommend a product that I can purchase either online or at Radio Shack?
Thanks.

tmcmurran

Has anyone come up with a configuration for a DX8 and AR8000 that works?

Nothing I have tried will permit me to just hold in position. This morning the silly thing just dropped from the sky and I broke my landing gear. Lucky I have a roll of Duct Tape near by :)

Attachments

• Broken Landing Gear Legs (1).jpg
    Broken Landing Gear Legs (1).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 386

Nothing I have tried will permit me to just hold in position. This morning the silly thing just dropped from the sky and I broke my landing gear. Lucky I have a roll of Duct Tape near by :)

Wow that's terrible! Sorry if I'm naïve about this, but are you saying this happens to everybody with this set up??

Martyf1

Not sure what you're looking for configuration wise. I do know it was frustrating as hell getting everything working correct so I feel your pain. By hold in position, do mean altitude or is it wandering horizontally. Are you familiar with the altitude hold problem with the NAZA (I'm assuming you have that)? Put some black electrical tape on the sides of your module to block out sunlight. The barometer is apparently very sensitive to changes in sunlight and will jump up and down at random. Mine was going up and down 6'. Tape solved the problem. If horizontal, did you swing the compass and set GPS with the proper magnetic variation? I've got mine up and flying pretty good and I'll be glad to help if I can.

tmcmurran

Not sure what you're looking for configuration wise. I do know it was frustrating as hell getting everything working correct so I feel your pain. By hold in position, do mean altitude or is it wandering horizontally. Are you familiar with the altitude hold problem with the NAZA (I'm assuming you have that)? Put some black electrical tape on the sides of your module to block out sunlight. The barometer is apparently very sensitive to changes in sunlight and will jump up and down at random. Mine was going up and down 6'. Tape solved the problem. If horizontal, did you swing the compass and set GPS with the proper magnetic variation? I've got mine up and flying pretty good and I'll be glad to help if I can.

Well as far as configuration goes, a setup file for the DX8 would be awesome :)
And with the moving, it is more of a wondering issue that at times gets away from me. Gaining altitude is not too much of an issue, nor is holding it within a few feet. After it dropped from about 10' this morning and broke one side of the landing gear (replacements ordered and shipped already) I am a little gun shy. As soon as it wonders away too quickly for me I tend to cut the throttle and have it drop to where I can recover and land.

Martyf1

tmcmurran...

The one video that got me over the hump and into the air is this one from Pacific Coast Hobbies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592EA86i6QU See if it helps. Make sure your connections are the same as theirs. Listen for the part when he talks about them. Sounds to me like your GPS is not working. Are you getting the proper lights before takeoff signaling good gps?

tmcmurran

tmcmurran...

The one video that got me over the hump and into the air is this one from Pacific Coast Hobbies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592EA86i6QU See if it helps. Make sure your connections are the same as theirs. Listen for the part when he talks about them. Sounds to me like your GPS is not working. Are you getting the proper lights before takeoff signaling good gps?

Everything appears to be good to go, but I will review the video in the morning and see what the results are. My last few attempts this afternoon were a bit of a disaster. As soon as I lifted off the hex took a sharp right flight path and would not recover properly unless I used allot of counter stick. After breaking the landing gear this morning I really did not want to take too many chances and brought it down as fast as I could. Duct Tape works wonders till the new parts show up :)

I will keep you updated on my progress after going through the setting video in the morning.