How would the DJI Ronin mount to a Multi Rotor?

Lanzar

Knowing the weight of a Skyjib with Axi 4120-20s, adding a Ronin and then a Red would give you a flight time of about 4 mins tops I reckon. Bear in mind that the weight of the Ronin might be including the handlebars but in airborne mode you will need to add legs/retracts. Not sure if it will fit under Droidworx retracts either at this stage.

By the way I don't think it has auto balance, I think it is auto tune, just like the Movi has.

Just some taughts which i think are important.

Axi 4120 have 3500g trust. SO 1/2 is 1750 g * 8 is = 14kg for okto on 17 inch, if you use smaller propelers than even less, coax is -12% or more with axi motors
Frame with motors and esc and all is 6kg easy
Bateries min 2x 10000 mah = 3kg
Ronin 4kg
Red with normal prime 4kg
Total weight : 17 kg

Current on this load will be 8x30 to 35 amps so 240 to 300 easy. batteries will get warm and will have a hard time to keep the constant 120 to 150 amps ....
And a lot more problems could imerge.

Droidworx frame is not made for this much load. Maybe new frames from DW will support this loads.

Lanzar

It is company policy that we will only sell Hammer frames as RTF since if we go mass production there are a lot off things that come wiht frame production that we do not want to deal with at the moment.
Maybe next year , we still need to discuss where and what will be Kopterworx future role in this bussines.

maxwelltub

Hey Mike, where did you get this info? Definitely spins 360 on the yaw

I've seen the Kopterworx has the Ronin on a copter. I'm interested to see how they mounted it. The downside of the Ronin in the air is that it's only able to rotate 90 degrees so yawing the copter is a must if you are going to get some shots.

Lanzar

Here since it is the same topic.
But i must say movi still outperforms ronin by ulalala.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vincent Boureau

Thank you for the post Lanzar. I already checked your video... very nice! How did you mount the ronin to the copter, and which motor do you use, T-Motor U7?

Lanzar

We took some parts off the gimball and screw it directly. As for the motors we use KW12 which is a modified version off U7.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
We've flown the Ronin on a Cinester-based X8. It's very, very heavy... video was beautiful, but due to the weight we only got about 4:30-5:00 out of it with U7 420s and dual 11000mah 6S. Plus it has horrendous roll drift in anything but static shots.

MoVi will be here Tuesday.

jhardway

MadMonkey - what size props where you all using.

The Kopterworkx guys nailed it. x12, u7, that is a way to go, I think you could also pull it off by making an x8 with a 11oo frame, same motors 17 t0 18 inch props, at that size prop the 8 motors I feel you would get yourself into the 60 to 80 lbs of thrust window, if the copter, gimbal, batteries, and camera weight comes in around 32 to 35lbs then you are still in a good window.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
MadMonkey - what size props where you all using.

The Kopterworkx guys nailed it. x12, u7, that is a way to go, I think you could also pull it off by making an x8 with a 11oo frame, same motors 17 t0 18 inch props, at that size prop the 8 motors I feel you would get yourself into the 60 to 80 lbs of thrust window, if the copter, gimbal, batteries, and camera weight comes in around 32 to 35lbs then you are still in a good window.

I can't remember what we had at the time, either 16" or 18". We're using 18" with a MoVi M10 now and it works perfectly. Our new Skyjib (should be here in a couple of weeks) was built around a Ronin but we've pretty much grounded the Ronin because of the weight and severe horizon drift.

maxwelltub

Again, the weight is not the main problem. Unless I am mistaken ronin m has the same issues making it not suitable for multirotor.