What do you think of this for my first quad?

kuyawil

A good friend of mine wants to sell his quad to fund his next project. I expressed my interest and the fact that I'm in the market for one. The quad is ready-to-fly and does come with a radio but I may just get the quad alone. I'm possibly looking at the Futaba 10J because of the S.Bus programming functionality and telemetry. Also, with the 3 extra channels, I'll have room to do more things. Without mentioning his selling price, here is a list of what his quad comes with.

- DJI Naza-M V1 Autopilot+GPS Flight Controller
- DJI ESC 30A Opto
- DJI Phantom Vision Motor - CW
- DJI Phantom Vision Motor - CCW
- (Original) DJI 1038 10" Propeller - 1CW/1CCW
- (Original) DJI Flamewheel 450/550 Arm - White
- (Original) DJI Flamewheel 450/550 Arm - Black
- X-Mode Alien 550 Quadcopter Frame
- GPS Antenna Folding Stand
- TBS Discovery LED Light Kit
- Align T-Rex 600N Pro Landing Skid Kit
- Spektrum DX7S w/AR8000 Receiver

So, would this be a good start? Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance... Cheers!

kuyawil

I haven't done the eCalc yet but I have decided to skip on the 10j. I decided to go with the 14SG from Tower because they dropped the price. Then, with the additional coupon code to drop it another $75, it was a total of $125 off and free shipping. So, I just couldn't pass it up. If you have any opinions on my decision to go with the 14SG, please let me know, bad or good. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I haven't done the eCalc yet but I have decided to skip on the 10j. I decided to go with the 14SG from Tower because they dropped the price. Then, with the additional coupon code to drop it another $75, it was a total of $125 off and free shipping. So, I just couldn't pass it up. If you have any opinions on my decision to go with the 14SG, please let me know, bad or good. Thanks in advance!

I have a 14sg and it's probably more radio than I'll ever know what to do with. For that price - seems like a good investment. And honestly, you'll figure out things to do with all those switches.

The problem with trying to figure out your eCalc is that DJI motors are not in there, and I was not able to find any real data on a quick search for another build. What did your friend have to say about the flight times, etc?

kuyawil

My 14SG arrived from Tower. What a beautiful radio! Looking through the manual and YouTube videos to setup for my F450.

***** Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk *****

Attachments

• WP_20140413_21_27_24_Pro20140413220902.jpg
    WP_20140413_21_27_24_Pro20140413220902.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 293

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
My 14SG arrived from Tower. What a beautiful radio! Looking through the manual and YouTube videos to setup for my F450.

***** Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk *****

If you're anything like me you'll tuck that manual in a corner and then find the real info online. Then after realizing again how bad the manual was - for a $500 product , you'll want to take it back out and burn it! :)

kuyawil

If you're anything like me you'll tuck that manual in a corner and then find the real info online. Then after realizing again how bad the manual was - for a $500 product , you'll want to take it back out and burn it! :)

I've already put the manual away. Videos and other guides online are certainly much more helpful. Kindling seems to be a better use for the included manual. Sorry Futaba.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

EtheAv8r

And if you have forked out for an 18MZ you want to cry when you discover the very poor manual it comes with........ Quite how they can build such great kit - with zillions of programability - and then not provide adequate instructions for how to use/configur tham is mind-boggling!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
And if you have forked out for an 18MZ you want to cry when you discover the very poor manual it comes with........ Quite how they can build such great kit - with zillions of programability - and then not provide adequate instructions for how to use/configur tham is mind-boggling!

Agreed. Mind boggling and OFFENSIVE quite honestly. If they took the profit from a few sales, they could pay someone to write a killer manual with all the info needed.