Hoverfly Hoverfly *** New firmware, ver .802

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Haven't tried it yet but comments reflect better GPS position hold and cleaner yaw control without surging.

Bart

Bartman

Ben,
Is it necessary to redo all the calibrations after the firmware upgrade?
Thanks,
Bart

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
If you're not running .800, then recalibration is required. I upgraded from .800 to .802 and didn't. It flew perfectly. If you have the GPS attached, there is a new computer-free calibration method which is easier and more accurate.

Bartman

If you're not running .800, then recalibration is required. I upgraded from .800 to .802 and didn't. It flew perfectly. If you have the GPS attached, there is a new computer-free calibration method which is easier and more accurate.

thanks. i'm going to give it a try.
bart

StormRU

I am new to Hovefly and have HFP+GPS.
Yesterday I tested it for the first time in the air.

I can confirm that position hold works. Sometimes it works better and sometimes it works worse in the same weather conditions and place.
When it worked well it was pretty close to my naza+gps performance. Not as good yet, but it moved within 1.5 meter.

AH performance is much worse then naza. The ship (cinestar 6) jumps up and down +/- 1.5m aggressively. Tried changing AH gain but it didn't help much.

AL is good. But throttle response is a little bit strange around 50%. It may not react to 1bit of throttle movement up but then it starts to climb fast as if i pushed throttle a lot. Feels uncomfortable a little

.802 software.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormRU

Sounds like I need to install a GPS board on my Cinestar.

Just be advised that once installed over HFP it will cover dip-switch making it unaccessible and you will have to remove GPS board each time you want to update firmware or change parameters as it requires this switch to be moved several times during a session.

Bartman

Storm,
I haven't found the GPS to interfere with being able to move the dipswitch. granted, it's covered and you have to reach in to get to it but it's long the edge so not very hard to get to. it helps to know that in towards the middle is position 1 and out towards the edge is position 2
Bart

StormRU

Storm,
I haven't found the GPS to interfere with being able to move the dipswitch. granted, it's covered and you have to reach in to get to it but it's long the edge so not very hard to get to. it helps to know that in towards the middle is position 1 and out towards the edge is position 2
Bart

It is a matter of preference. I find it very inconvenient. Glad it is not a problem for you. As for Performance - it is ok. Tried RTH from 10 meters away and it came to lunch position holding permanent altitude.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
I agree Bart, it's covered but by no means inaccessible. I use a small plastic screwdriver used in RF adjustments to flip the switch. My Y6 is so smooth, it brings tears to my eyes!:tennis:

Bartman

just tried it with 13" props, same pitch top and bottom, and it wasn't any different from .800. put my Xoar 12" PJA's on (x5 pitch on top, x7 on bottom) and it's dead solid stable. I'm tweaking the gimbal settings and will post something in a little while.

Bart

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Yeah Bart, I'm turning 12x38 on top and 13x47 on bottom for stability. I've had 11x47 on top and 13x65 on bottom and it seemed really smooth and I actually got about 90 seconds more time. It didn't hit the sweet spot on vibration with that large pitch on bottom. I have some 14x38's I believe and may try them..Actually, I may try rebalancing them. I'm using apc's and did the Thin electric on bottom. It was really stable. I have 13x6 SF as well. Maybe I'll give it another try on the balancer.

Bartman

just dumped my heli onto the driveway, broke 6 of 8 wood props!!!!! Argh!!!!! I'm not even a pirate and I'm sayin' argggghhhhhhh.

it got wobbly at around 4 minutes into the flight then I started losing power. I landed, disarmed the motors, rearmed them and flew away for a few more minutes then it did it again and I came down hard, rolled onto my head and props started coming apart.

emailed Al. doubt it's a bug but who knows. new props are on a boat from China so who knows when they'll get here.......so I wait, and think.

Bart :)

Bartman

Yeah Bart, I'm turning 12x38 on top and 13x47 on bottom for stability. I've had 11x47 on top and 13x65 on bottom and it seemed really smooth and I actually got about 90 seconds more time. It didn't hit the sweet spot on vibration with that large pitch on bottom. I have some 14x38's I believe and may try them..Actually, I may try rebalancing them. I'm using apc's and did the Thin electric on bottom. It was really stable. I have 13x6 SF as well. Maybe I'll give it another try on the balancer.

i've been kicking that around in my head actually, using larger diameter and higher pitch on the bottoms...i guess i'll have to give it a try. for now i'm going to be using whatever i can scrounge up from my spares box. :(

bart

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
i've been kicking that around in my head actually, using larger diameter and higher pitch on the bottoms...i guess i'll have to give it a try. for now i'm going to be using whatever i can scrounge up from my spares box.

I got my head around it about in March. Now I'm no expert, but since the disturbed (or accelerated) air from the top props interfere with the lower props, the larger diameter and steeper bite will allow the lower props to produce the same power. I thought on it kinda like the moving walkways in airports. If you walk against them, you need to walk faster to move across the ground at normal velocity. With the props, since the air is already moving down, the props have to spin faster or bite more air with pitch, diameter or both. I have and do use same top and bottom for testing and such but always go back to bigger and bore pitch on bottom.

So we're talking apples and apples, I'm using BC3536-11 750 motors and a 4s battery. My Y6 is probably 2.3kg and I have the battery's mounted low, thinking the low CG would be more stable.

Sorry about your crash, I could send you a few props if you need them in a hurry...

Last edited by a moderator:

Photronix

Pilot
BTW we do have a beta for X8 that uses alternating CW CCW top and bottom rather than all CW on top and all CCW on bottom. In addition it increases the RPM of the bottom propellers by 7%. This supposedly improves the X8 efficiency and stability quite a bit. It should also work on the XY but we really need to add that geometry to the firmware to be safe.

I can make the beta available for you Bart.

BTW we do have a beta for X8 that uses alternating CW CCW top and bottom rather than all CW on top and all CCW on bottom. In addition it increases the RPM of the bottom propellers by 7%. This supposedly improves the X8 efficiency and stability quite a bit. It should also work on the XY but we really need to add that geometry to the firmware to be safe.

I can make the beta available for you Bart.

Given that 7% increase, would you then use the same size props top and bottom?