Hoverfly Hoverfly *** New firmware, ver .802

Stacky

Ben, they do make the high pitched whine. This is a short hop in the backyard to test firmware from a few weeks ago, I left the motor/esc sound in on this so you can hear them. I had them on the medium timing setting. 40amp esc plush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_jRLNc0x5Q&feature=g-upl

Do those make the high pitched noise that the Turnigy ESCs make? The Castle ESCs don't scream, and that's one thing that makes me lean towards trying them on my next build.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have a hard time believing any esc would get rid of the whine. Isn't most of that just the sound of a prop spinning through air?

So hows the new firmware treating everyone? I am not flying until I hear something good. I am selling my Hoverfly and I need it to work without a hitch when test flying it for the guy.

Stacky

So far I havent had any problems on my Hexa or X8. I have had maybe 10 flights with it but nothing apart from backyard hops while I test a gimbal. The new AL for me has been really good and Im still working out what percentage of AL I want to use. I havent had a fly in any winds yet, its been mostly calm where i am and I get to have a fly between rain breaks and work breaks. The built in gimbal controls from what i can tell are the best they have ever been, 6 months ago I couldnt get them to be as smooth as they are now and Im very happy. There were some reported issues with AL on v4.3.800 but HF have said they have solved those problems with v 4.3.802. I see on the HF forum on RCG that some of those who had threads where they reported problems have now mentioned they think those problems are fixed.

So at my end I havent yet had a chance to do any serious test in any sort of winds. All my recent flights have been in calm conditions.

One of the users on rcg just posted this video 5 minutes ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En1XWHJ8LpE

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
But you are on .802 right? bart just got me worried when he said he crashed over and over. I'm testing on concrete floors.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont see why one heli would crash though just because it was a little different. I am flying the XY8 like bart has and I know it flies great on the Hoverfly Pro, regardless of what Hoverfly says about it not being ideal. So if something goes wrong it is not because of the config. it is due to some firmware change. I would think if your X8 works, my XY8 would work similarly. I am curious to know if Hoverfly has any redundancy built in now that Bart's crash was potentially due to a bad motor/esc.

Stacky

I have had a prop break in flight with my X8 and was able to land it and then another time not able to land. There are a ton of variables when it comes to redundancy and I dont believe any FC is truly able to handle all the different scenarios of various failures. Flying conditions, flying ability, external factors on concentration etc all have an impact.

The difference in flying rigs will cause different reactions to problems in flight. A couple of local guys here are flying their big Octo at about 75% hover when carrying a red epic camera. When they land their motors and esc's are all hot. they seem to think the FC can handle any problems. There are a long list of things that could cause problems where one users setup the FC can handle when things go wrong and another users FC cant handle it. Also for all the FC manufacturers the variations in builds make it close to impossible to test everything. Barts setup might be a little different to mine but something in his setup might not have been something HF considered in their firmware.

I fly with the expectation that at some point my machines will come down, be it a FC problem or a build problem. So many variables mean a high chance at some point we will have a problem. I can go months and hundreds of flights without an issue and then all of a sudden I will have problems.

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
I fly with the expectation that at some point my machines will come down, be it a FC problem or a build problem. So many variables mean a high chance at some point we will have a problem. I can go months and hundreds of flights without an issue and then all of a sudden I will have problems.

Well put Stacky. A healthy dose of reality is not a bad thing. If it flies it is resisting gravity. Gravity ALWAYS wins!

Have extra parts in hand. Have a preflight check list. Fly smart. Fly safe. Have insurance. Read lots of forums. Have a good attitude. Keep your fingers crossed.

Efliernz

Pete
I'm flying a diy 3.2Kg octo and I flashed 4.3.802 last weekend (from V3). My machine hovers at 50% and is quite light for its size (850mm motor-motor).
I test-flew it in 10-15mph wind including "leeward of the tree" turbulence - I could hear the "wooshing / churning" noise from the turbulence while it hovered smoothly on the one spot.
I did quick decents within its downwash as well forward flight. This test was done in manual and AL modes. It flew the best I'd experienced in 50 flights.

Testing also involved fast and slow 90, 180 and 360 piros in AL and manual. One observation which may impact newer modellers - if I move the yaw stick from centre quickly (fly eratically or roughly) - or release the stick where it goes "twang" to the centre, I get a small climb surge up to 2'. If I move my sticks smoothly (with -35% expo), I get no surging at all.

My octo flies similar to my quad. If I fly smoothly, I am rewarded with smooth flying. If I am rough with the controller, I see some small climb spikes during yawing.

All up, .802 rocks for me at this stage.

Pete

JZSlenker

Wow! I finally got outside with a camera op to try .802. It is amazing. The manual mode is just incredible. I know I say "smooth as silk" a lot, but we now literally can fly smooth as silk! I don't use AL and AH much but I tested them anyway. Wow, I love the softer AL. I will play with the percentage more but im pretty happy at 30%. AH works well and PH and RTH are rock solid. Yaw burst is gone. Perfect.

Thank you, thank you, thank you HoverFly.

PaNt

Wow! I finally got outside with a camera op to try .802. It is amazing. The manual mode is just incredible. I know I say "smooth as silk" a lot, but we now literally can fly smooth as silk! I don't use AL and AH much but I tested them anyway. Wow, I love the softer AL. I will play with the percentage more but im pretty happy at 30%. AH works well and PH and RTH are rock solid. Yaw burst is gone. Perfect.

Thank you, thank you, thank you HoverFly.

I think that i am lucky that my first flight of the HFP will be with the 802 :) :) :)

Photronix

Pilot
You guys really should try AutoLevel Smoothing on 10%. Give it a shot and let me know what you think. This is what I fly with.

JZSlenker

Was on a shoot in Hershey this morning in windy conditions. Manual was awesome. Descents in wind are much improved too. Didn't use AH or AL.

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Make sure you load 802. It has fixes for autoleveling. If you have never flown with autoleveling before, it makes sense to start with the smoothing setting set to 100% until you get the feel of it. After that, decrease to something below 30% for a VERY smooth control.
Last firmware i tried 25% and it was almost uncontrollable. Was this fixed? Sounds great, i cant wait to try it.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Tried it out today. You guys got it! Dont do ANYTHING! Just keep it this way please. It's a night and day difference with the slider and how it effects the sluggishness. Great work! I'll try and post some video later.

StormRU

Tried it out today. You guys got it! Dont do ANYTHING! Just keep it this way please. It's a night and day difference with the slider and how it effects the sluggishness. Great work! I'll try and post some video later.

Does this slider give the same functionality as EPA adjustments of AL gain?

Aerovideo

I put .802 on my HFPro+GPS quad last night and was very impressed with manual mode. I can't believe how well behaved it is. It was pretty windy so I didn't get a chance to setup AL yet but once I get that setup I look forward to trying the different mixes of AL.

Interestingly, my AH sensor kept failing the tests in the latest setup client, doah.