Hoverfly Hoverfly *** New firmware, ver .802

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
just flew APC 12x3.8 on top and 14x4.7 on bottom....dead solid stable like with my Xoar's, maybe better but it's only one flight. new firmware is really tight flying wise. :) nicely done Hover-dudes.

Bartman

i don't know. i just redid the temp calibration and flew again. four minutes into the flight it gets wobbly and loses power. i land, disarm/rearm, get flying again and it's fine for a couple of minutes then it does it again.

it flies unbelievable and I was just flying in attitude mode and it's the most stable thing i've ever flown i think. kudos HoverFly!

Bartman

I heard back from HF and they think I've got a motor that is bad. The motor is not responding as quickly as the FC wants it to and as a result the FC is reducing power to the other motors as the one begins to fade out.

It's plausible I suppose so I have to fly again and try to identify the weak motor, maybe by seeing if one is particularly hot midway through the flight. If it isn't a motor then I have to try to identify a bad speed controller. They're going to see if the firmware might have a zit in it but right now it is being identified as likely being hardware related.

More in the morning.
Bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
So that means there is NO chance of redundancy on my X8 using Hoverfly? I doubt it is your config as I have the same thing and it flies great. The motor being bad is unlikely but like you said, not worth eliminating from the check list. The best test would be to roll back to .800 and see if it still happens. clearly if that works it is a firmware issue. I am too scared to test mine now so i will wait for a response. I am not fortunate enough to have a soft lawn to test fly on. I got good old californian regulated concrete!

StormRU

Yesterday I tested AH and during 1 flight experinced something very similar to what you are describing.
It became very unstable and started to lose power.
I thought it could be:

1. Bettery voltage dropped very low. But later my charger filled the battery with only 4230 out of 4500, so it was not the reason.
2. AH gains were to low and it caused it to behave like that. But that is strange as well...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Storm,

If the battery took 4250 of 4500 then you flew too long. Did you check the volts of the packs when you were done? Going below 3.3 volts per cell is not recommended and I'd guess you were very close if not past that mark.

I'm not having problems in AH mode. AH can be a little flaky if you're not familiar with it. Sometimes it can wander up or down and you've got to turn it off then turn it back on again to reset the hold point. My problem is consistently around 4 minutes into a flight with Normal or AL mode selected.

The plan for this morning is to go back to ver .800 and see if the problem is still there. I also have to check the motors and esc's to see if one or more are going bad.

Bart

Bartman

just had the same problem with Firmware ver .800. motors are all normal temp but ESC's are very hot.

Is anyone else running Tiger 2814-10 motors with Turnigy Plush 30A ESC's? I'm using high timing, going to try medium. Also going back to .802 firmware.

Bart

Bartman

Reset ESC's to middle timing, heli flew just as well and flew longer before losing power and coming down. so it appears I have an ESC that is getting hot and failing. I never realized how hot these 30A ESC's can get. if i ever thought to feel them i doubt i'd still be using 30A ESC's!

so now the question is, do i buy the HF recommended Castle 50A Ice ESC's or more Turnigy stuff? Turnigy 40A is 1/5 the cost of Castle Ice 50A!!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I know ben and myself are using the plush 40's and havent had much problem. Though I dont have much flying time on mine at all as i havent built enough confidence to go out and shoot with it yet. i have certainly hovered a full batteries worth without issues though. You also mentioned it is pretty hot where you are at right? I wonder if something happens when the board itself reaches a certain temp?

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Bart, I'm using the Turnigy Plush 40a and haven't had any issue. As a rule, I feel the motors and esc for temperature and they only get warm. If it's over 100 here I could say they get hot and I usually don't fly.

Stacky

Bart Im using the turnigy plush 40a on my hexa and X8. The Hexa weighs 3.5kg and the x8 weighs 4.5 kg. On both machines the esc's only get very slightly warm although its the middle of winter here. I have been using various turnigy plush esc's for about a year now without any problems.

Bartman

just ordered 12 40A ESC's. just when I thought I was mostly done with big purchase for a little while.......:upset:

Stacky

I know how you feel Bart, I am trying to put the brakes on spending myself. I have done enough building, experimenting and learning for now. The next purchases I intend making will be on a high end gimbal and frame but thats not going to be for a while.
The bit I hate the most is how much wiring I have to do with these builds. I have lost count of the number of machines I have built whilst I try and learn what i need to know and Im kind of over the wiring thing...

StormRU

I am running Tigermotors MT4008 600kv motors and newest tigermotors 30A ESCs 400hz. They are out for a couple of weeks i think. I couldnt find a single picture of them on the internrt. They are black with white labels and integrated motor connections. They dont get even warm.
Will try them with APC 14x4,7 tomorrow

I am running Tigermotors MT4008 600kv motors and newest tigermotors 30A ESCs 400hz. They are out for a couple of weeks i think. I couldnt find a single picture of them on the internrt. They are black with white labels and integrated motor connections. They dont get even warm.
Will try them with APC 14x4,7 tomorrow

Do those make the high pitched noise that the Turnigy ESCs make? The Castle ESCs don't scream, and that's one thing that makes me lean towards trying them on my next build.