Group Build 2015, FPV Racing Quad

Federico Ferreri

FPV racer outside of Philly
frederico, i'm just across the river in NJ, there's a bunch of us trying to get something going this spring, look at the groups section and join the North Jersey group. it's just a name, we're trying to get people in from all over.
Bart
I'm totally in! I just did my first full FPV weekend and I'm hooked. I hope I van meet up with you guys soon and get something going.

Bobkeenan

Another stupid question from a newbie. Is that all of the build you are going to show? I just bought the iflight 250 so your posts here are going to be very helpful. Hopefully you are just very busy and the rest of the build is later? Or should I look at the 2014 build and use that as a guide?

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Along the 'Checking In' theme, Bart inspired me; again.
It's not a racer, but it's a 250 frame. Danaus:
attachment.php

But I wanted to fly longer and carry more weight.
attachment.php

That's a 5200mah 4S lipo in the middle. And a Pixhawk on top. 50cm standoffs were used instead of the 35cm standoffs provided. That makes room for all sorts of bigger batteries.
attachment.php

I built it upside down to maximize the organized airflow down. That put the rotor plane right in the middle of the battery mass, so it's nicely balanced.
T-Motor 20A ESCs were tricky to get under the Lumenier PDB. I still need to reroute the power module along the side instead of underneath. It's making contact with the ground and will abrade on concrete.
attachment.php

KDE 2350 motors handle the 4S.
No holes were in the top-plate for landing gear, So I used squares of foam rubber for feet on all sides to catch my landing attempts.
No GPS or cameras yet. I wanted to be sure that eCalc was telling the truth about getting 14 minutes flight time before I went all in.
FPV cam, Mobius, and NEO M8N are going on next. Then I'll do an endurance test.
Maiden flew for 13 minutes and had 15.4 left. AltHold was rock solid using the Pixhawk default Quad parameters. I may never tune this beastie.

Playing:
attachment.php

But eCalc says 8400 Mah is only good for 16 minutes.
I'll stick with 14 minutes on 5200 Mah.

heres some inspiration to get you guys racing

from our fourth round this year - very well marked track on private property

I apologize for bringing up a slightly older thread (well maybe not so old).... But is all the footage in this video from the Iflight XBIRD 250mm Mini Quadrocopter ARF combo (motors, esc, CC3D controller)? With a GoPro?

I'm fairly new to multi rotors (well... I've had 1SQ for a couple years, now a QX180) I'm getting closer to needing something that I can FPV without loosing all my lift....

matwelli

I dont believe that particular brand of quad was raced ?

All onboard footage was more than likely from a mobius, not many risk a gopro

Our latest event, July 19th 2015 , listed teh tickets two weeks ago, have sold 48 out of 50 , will be a busy day :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I dont believe that particular brand of quad was raced ?

All onboard footage was more than likely from a mobius, not many risk a gopro

Our latest event, July 19th 2015 , listed teh tickets two weeks ago, have sold 48 out of 50 , will be a busy day :)

really nice to hear you guys are getting such a good response Mat! Maybe we should make you the MultiRotorForums.com Racemaster General and you can get the rest of us off our duffs and turning a few gates on the weekends!

Bartman

Along the 'Checking In' theme, Bart inspired me; again.
It's not a racer, but it's a 250 frame. Danaus:
attachment.php

But I wanted to fly longer and carry more weight.
attachment.php

That's a 5200mah 4S lipo in the middle. And a Pixhawk on top. 50cm standoffs were used instead of the 35cm standoffs provided. That makes room for all sorts of bigger batteries.
attachment.php

I built it upside down to maximize the organized airflow down. That put the rotor plane right in the middle of the battery mass, so it's nicely balanced.
T-Motor 20A ESCs were tricky to get under the Lumenier PDB. I still need to reroute the power module along the side instead of underneath. It's making contact with the ground and will abrade on concrete.
attachment.php

KDE 2350 motors handle the 4S.
No holes were in the top-plate for landing gear, So I used squares of foam rubber for feet on all sides to catch my landing attempts.
No GPS or cameras yet. I wanted to be sure that eCalc was telling the truth about getting 14 minutes flight time before I went all in.
FPV cam, Mobius, and NEO M8N are going on next. Then I'll do an endurance test.
Maiden flew for 13 minutes and had 15.4 left. AltHold was rock solid using the Pixhawk default Quad parameters. I may never tune this beastie.

Playing:
attachment.php

But eCalc says 8400 Mah is only good for 16 minutes.
I'll stick with 14 minutes on 5200 Mah.

Great build JoeBob, very nice design! who cuts your carbon fiber?

matwelli

maybe you should :) our facebook group just hit 500+ members, 62 actual registered pilots and about 20 more "in build" , just riding the wave :)

nismo

Really interesting thread! Great stuff, Bartman, when are we going to see the beastie in action?

Pumpkinguy

As many of you know the Immersion Vortex has become extremely popular. I believe it is a 285 sized frame. Does this mean it is not allowed in most races? Being over the 250 spec, that is. They have sold thousands of them. it would be strange to me if they didn't meet the requirements.

Bartman

you'd have to check with the race programs that you will be participating in. it's possible it will fit into one of their classes of racing but with so many different leagues forming it's impossible to say with any certainty what will fit where

matwelli

As many of you know the Immersion Vortex has become extremely popular. I believe it is a 285 sized frame. Does this mean it is not allowed in most races? Being over the 250 spec, that is. They have sold thousands of them. it would be strange to me if they didn't meet the requirements.
250 is nominal, its usual to allow 220 to 300 size to race in 250 class
The problem with vortex is the VTX frequency range actualy makes it illegal in several places, check your local rules

Dezy

I purchased a ZMR 250 and loving the build, until I got to the Naze 32 Afro Rev 6:eek:

I've only flown a Naza Lite - anybody see any problems using it instead???

Not much room on these little 250's - will I have problems with 'noise" from the video tx affecting the Naza Lite? With the Naze32, people don't seem to have a problem. Not sure if the Naza Lite is more sensitive in this regard.

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
I purchased a ZMR 250 and loving the build, until I got to the Naze 32 Afro Rev 6:eek:

I've only flown a Naza Lite - anybody see any problems using it instead???

Not much room on these little 250's - will I have problems with 'noise" from the video tx affecting the Naza Lite? With the Naze32, people don't seem to have a problem. Not sure if the Naza Lite is more sensitive in this regard.

It will depend how you want to fly your 250, if you want it to be agile, fast, flip, roll... you need that Naze. It isn't easy to set up like the Naza, but with some research and patience you can do it.

Dezy

It will depend how you want to fly your 250, if you want it to be agile, fast, flip, roll... you need that Naze. It isn't easy to set up like the Naza, but with some research and patience you can do it.

OK - thanks for your reply. Since I do want to race it, sounds like I should go with the Naze.

But I would much rather just fly the dang thing then learn how to program it - does not seem to be much documentation / software for the new rev 6, yet.