Group Build 2015, FPV Racing Quad

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Don’t forget you can print a frame and race and then print tons of spare parts!

View attachment 22766

I have attached a GoPro and 5.8 system.. works GREAT!

Attachments

• 10523141_10205261601769871_1465585656088936752_n.jpg
    10523141_10205261601769871_1465585656088936752_n.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 567

tstrike

pendejo grande
Don’t forget you can print a frame and race and then print tons of spare parts!

View attachment 22766

I have attached a GoPro and 5.8 system.. works GREAT!

That's cool! So is the battery inside the body under the naze? Looks like you have hollow arms too, makes cabling clean.
Mine's finished, kept it super light, bare minimum, and I'm kind of liking this kk board, keeps you way more busy than a
naza with it's oh so clever alt hold.

Attachments

• woohoo.JPG
    woohoo.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 553

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I finally had some time to work on this this week. Overall, it's a pretty simple build, there's a lot of room for the components and since there are only four motors and no gimbal it shouldn't take much time to have it up and running.

To refresh your memory, I bought the kit from GotHeliRC.com which included the frame, motors, ESC's, an OpenPilot CC3D flight controller, and props.
View attachment 23039

If you look at a lot of the racing videos out there, making it around the course isn't so much about optimizing the equipment as it is optimizing your control of the heli and learning to get around the course without wasting a lot of time. So, with that in mind, I didn't shop around for parts that would make the fastest heli, I just wanted to get this thread moving and have something I could fly and learn with. If I'm flying this thing a lot then I'll make it fast by being a better pilot and I'd recommend this approach to anyone getting started. Don't sweat every little detail, build something that will be reliable and allow you to go rip around your practice pylons. It's a spec class after all, piloting skills will get you a lot farther than any one detail in the build.

Having said that here are a few close ups of the parts being used. The flight control board is something I've got a little bit of experience with having flown a CopterControl board that came from the very first batch back when OpenPilot was just getting started. They've come a long way and the GCS looks great!
View attachment 23042

If you've built other helicopters then you'll probably find the motors impossibly small like I did when I opened the boxes. These are the iFlight 1806-2300kv, a pretty safe bet for the 250mm spec class leagues that are out there. Here is the motor lined up against a tape measure alongside a common Tiger MT2814 brushless motor.
View attachment 23040

The ESC's are 10 Amp and you'll see a lot of builders using 12 amp ESC's but 10A should be fine.
View attachment 23043

So far I think the kit is pretty complete but I've added 2.5 mm washers to the motor mounting screws (2 per motor). The screws that came with the motors were plenty long for the material that the motors are mounting to so the washers won't keep the screws from reaching up into the motor bases. I used a very small amount of Loctite on the threads by putting a small drop on one end of one screw and then spread the excess onto the end of the other screw while also working it into the threads of both screws.

Loctite will corrode some plastics and composite materials so do everything you can to keep it from getting it on those types of parts.
View attachment 23044
View attachment 23050
View attachment 23045

Here are a few pictures of the frame coming together. There is a little bit of planning involved so that you won't have to backtrack and take things apart after the fact to install things like the flight control mounting posts. The two bottom plates of the frame are identical and the top frame plate has a front/back. Put all of the pieces together loosely at first to make sure the holes will all line up and then go around tightening things up a little at a time.

View attachment 23051 View attachment 23052 View attachment 23048 View attachment 23049 View attachment 23047 View attachment 23046

I've got to shoot a quick video to discuss a few details and then we'll be finishing the build and getting the CC3D board all set up and ready for its maiden flight.

Thanks for reading!
Bart

Attachments

• 01-IMG_9259.JPG
    01-IMG_9259.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 727
  • 02-IMG_9264.JPG
    02-IMG_9264.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 756
  • 03-IMG_9267.JPG
    03-IMG_9267.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 547
  • 04-IMG_9271.JPG
    04-IMG_9271.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 647
  • 05-IMG_9358.JPG
    05-IMG_9358.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 610
  • 06-IMG_9360.JPG
    06-IMG_9360.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 579
  • 07-IMG_9361.JPG
    07-IMG_9361.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 593
  • 08-IMG_9362.JPG
    08-IMG_9362.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 705
  • 09-IMG_9363.JPG
    09-IMG_9363.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 829
  • 10-IMG_9364.JPG
    10-IMG_9364.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 759
  • 11-IMG_9365.JPG
    11-IMG_9365.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 603
  • 12-IMG_9367.JPG
    12-IMG_9367.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 591
  • 13-IMG_9273.JPG
    13-IMG_9273.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 590
  • 14-IMG_9274.JPG
    14-IMG_9274.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 675

Bartman

This video summarizes the build so far

Next up is the power distribution harness, final wiring and set-up and then we'll be flying!

Bartman

Also added the Dronekraft Mach300GT to the list of frames.

At some point I'll consolidate the bulk of the build information into the first post to make it easier to follow along.

Bart

tstrike

pendejo grande
You're going to have to start breaking them down in to classes. That one's big enough to turn 7"'s!

About your vtx placement, good luck with that. Every crash I've had finishes with a sunny sky down landing. I would think you'd put it in the front bay with the ant sticking out the side. That top plate is more of a mobius platform I figure.
Are you going to explore a servo to fc for cam stab or tilt? I thought about it but after seeing how much these things bob up and down, I think I'd puke trying to watch it.

On my DRQ it uses that bottom level of the frame to house the esc's, it gets real tight. Putting them on the arms doesn't look real clean but with these tiny component's, I gotta believe heat's a factor.

Nice vid, I always thought you were taller:rolleyes:

Bartman

I was standing on a milk crate!

This build is meant to show the steps and to get people out flying, there are so many different ways to do things and to explain things, sometimes it's hard for me to just make a decision and go with it. So I preach sometimes to not overthink things and to just get out there and get flying.

I'm actually surprised nobody has made a simple gravity powered tilt-only camera mount that will keep the camera somewhat level as the helicopter pitches forward. some foam to rub against would keep it from swaying and maybe a nylon washer on each side could be tightened or loosened to get it just right. I don't know to what degree my camera/vtx installation is going to be successful but I'm sure there will be something to protect it when it does land upside down.

we'll see! i've been flying FPVish from day one but haven't really gone full-on into the goggles yet. every time I go to work I'm FPV'ing all over the world but flying the real airplane and flying a multi-rotor heli via goggles probably isn't quite an apples-to-apples relationship!

alexstjo

Bartman so glad you are doing this. I am building one of these.

anyone in the murrieta, CA area on this forum? need some racing buddies!

Last edited by a moderator:

HeliBarney

Hi everyone

Thanks for the great info - especially the vids Bartman. I'm new to the forum , FPV and building multis, but not flying multi rotors. I was planning to join the build but unfortunately the iFlight is sold out. Any suggestions on other kits? I'm in North NJ as well so hopefully, I can join the NY/NJ races! Look forward to learning from all!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

How's this coming Bart? Especially interested in the camera/vtx. Are you getting the range you want?

not quite there yet but close! we know it works because we've tested it in the basement but not on the heli out in the atmosphere

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Immersion RC's Vortex racing quad. (It's a 285) You needed a few inspirational videos to get your morning going, right?

Was this video sped up post processing? Astonishing sped...

I got a little airsick watching this one. I'm a wimp.

matwelli

heres some inspiration to get you guys racing

from our fourth round this year - very well marked track on private property

tstrike

pendejo grande
Now that is a proper track! That last hit in the vid is my story, I could be in the middle of the Bonneville salt flats and hit a road cone.
Very motivating, thank you for posting that!