GoPro wireless option linked to NAZA flyaways

photobobga

I've been chasing an odd flight problem lately that resulted in my MC switching into Fail Safe just after takeoff. After contacting the DJI distributor my suspicions have been confirmed. When using the built-in wireless feature in the HERO GoPro during flight it will conflict with the DJI NAZA and or Rx and cause difficult flying conditions including flyaways.

**** if you use a GoPro do not use the wireless feature during flight *****

Tahoe Ed

DJI has stated from the beginning that users should not have the wifi turned on with the GoPro. This is not new news.

CrashMaster

The Gopro uses standard 2.4GHz WiFi (IEEE 802.11n) and I use a 2.4GHz RC TX for flight control so would never ever consider using both during flight. Although the different technology are restricted to specific spectrum within the 2.4GHz band the accuracy and stability of each unit can not be guarantee by either the GoPro nor the Hitec TX I use. Also when located so close together there is always going to be a danger that one or the other will leak so interfere with the other by pushing white noise into other sub-frequencies around it causing at the least annoyance and the worst loss control.
I use a 5.8GHz AV Tx to get the signal to Terra Firma but in the UK are restricted to 25Mw TX so the distance is also restricted to about 500-800 metres LOS. This arrangement is not perfect but being so far separated in frequency the likelihood of white noise or leak across the spectrum is greatly reduced.

Another thing to consider is Bluetooth this operates again within the 2.4GHz spectrum but restricted to 2.45GHz. However, the more there is on this frequency the greater danger your TX (if using 2.4GHz as I do) has of receiving interference. Although this, in theory can not cause a fly-away because the RX will bin signals received outside the established handshake the TX and RX make before frequency hopping. However, this can either slow down or damage solid communications and cause problems and even disaster.

The next danger there is that Mobile Broadband 4G uses 2.5GHz fequency so the amount of radio traffic passing through the atmosphere is getting very crowded.

All these devices can co-habit the same air space but it only takes one to malfunction and transmit off key or emit white noise in the wrong spectrum or frequency or at the wrong power and those of us throwing thousands of pounds worth of multi-copters, cameras, gimbals etc... etc... into the air do so with that danger always being possible.

photobobga

Tahoe Ed.... Another possible issue.. Several of the cameras attached to MC's for video and photography have wifi built into them. My Sony Nex 5r has this option. Any thoughts on this being a problem child for interference?

-Bob

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Yeah, I mentioned this before about possible conflicts on the 2.4 Ghz range, I did get shot down for the comment.... 2.4 Ghz channel hoping BS, if a stronger signal interferes with your reception, your receiver will not receive your radio TX anymore due to interference.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]2.485 Ghz is very close to channel 14 on Wi-Fi which is 2.484 Ghz, if your receiver happens to lock onto this frequency.... well you can imagine what might happen. Maybe it will not lock on, but you can bet your butt, the stronger signal will knock out anything around it being that close. CB and Amateur radio years, channel bleed-over was a common occurrence with radio stations. Maybe the term channel overlap would sound better?[/FONT]

CrashMaster

I know this would cost us all but there is a case to take the flight control frequency well away from the publicly available 2.4Ghz spectrum completely. The difficulty is that the airwaves are so cluttered where would it go and if there is an option to move could every country be persuaded to comply?

As machines become more and more sophisticated and rely heavily on mission critical communications between various ground station and airborne technology requiring faster and broader bandwidths there has to be a serious case to take these and move them to safer specturm. Also limit output power. The 600mw 5.8Ghz AV system sold by ImmersionRC is ludicrously over powered anywhere in the world and in it's self can cause leakage therefore interference for many miles and even on-board your own or neighbouring craft.

kloner

Aerial DP
There's only 2410 and 2430 even for use by the public. Hoping or not, yea be careful. I hope your not all flying FPV through a wifi live preview. This is no different than running 2 2.4 systems of any kind together. Same reason you don't run 2.4 analog like lawmate with a 2.4 radio. You switch up to 433 control

photobobga

What I find interesting is that DJI has an optional Bluetooth feature on their flight controllers. Wanting to eliminate all possible interference with the flight controller is this also a risk?

dazzab

Most mobile phones have wireless capability built in as well. I'm not sure how much of a risk they would be when not actively connected to a data link but I assume they are constantly searching for networks. So I wonder, are they an issue as well?

jrlederer

Darn it, wish I had thought about this before losing a (thank god) relatively cheap and small member of my fleet two nights ago around 3am, or that I would have been lucky enough to tread through this thread before installing this brain-fart oversight of a setup onto my baby-sized TBS frame .(relative to its 10+ older and much larger siblings) ! ;(

live and learn(ed)...****, another one bites the dust. Boooooooo.....

CrashMaster

Until someone with the knowledge, resources and time to do some proper research on this issue I think that DJI's advice and everyone elses here is to make sure the wifi is off on your gopro and your mobile if anywhere near your TX or machine.

Come on some Uni must be able to pick this up and do some proper research into the issue..... We may all then have an informed opinion instead of our own speculation and suspicions about the issues.

Anyone know someone at a Uni who could use this for their Doctorate?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Interesting, blue tooth is also in the 2.4 Ghz band if I am not mistaken... but has a lot less power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk