Hoverfly Hobbyking Blue Series ESC with HFP - Can't use set-up client and other issues

I figured I would try some Hobbyking Blue Series esc's. I built an X8 with HK blueseries 50 amp esc. When hooking up to the set-up client, I am able to connect to the General Tab, but when I hook up the battery to use the Radio to set gains and test function, it doesn't work. Also, the esc's don't send signal to the motors to beep. Almost like they need a signal from the Rx to get power and function.

I also tried to arm the X8, but there is no consistency in getting all of the motors armed. I am guessing there is a compatibility issue and will move back to the old Plush standby, but thought I would ask around.

Stacky

I figured I would try some Hobbyking Blue Series esc's. I built an X8 with HK blueseries 50 amp esc. When hooking up to the set-up client, I am able to connect to the General Tab, but when I hook up the battery to use the Radio to set gains and test function, it doesn't work. Also, the esc's don't send signal to the motors to beep. Almost like they need a signal from the Rx to get power and function.

I also tried to arm the X8, but there is no consistency in getting all of the motors armed. I am guessing there is a compatibility issue and will move back to the old Plush standby, but thought I would ask around.

A long shot here but have you tried doing the radio calibration in the setup software?. Thats the one where you set the top and bottom of the throttle range using the throttle trims with respect to the setup software throttle slider.
https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21447258-throttle-range-setup-for-hoverflypro

https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21607447-ESC-compatibility-issues

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
do those ESC's have BEC's? i have had ESC's where I have to unplug the #1 and 2 ESC's from the PRO in order for the PRO to enter setup mode, something to do with OPTO ESC's I think.

Thanks guys. I was able to connect to the software and set all of the necessary end points by disconnecting all of the ESC's except the one with the red wire. (these esc have bec built in).
I still get weird behavior in two of the motors. I have programmed the ESCs both by radio (holy PITA, these esc can only be set one setting at a time!) and with a programming card which does not cover all of the programming options. There is no middle timing option with these, which is what I fly on other set-ups (auto, high or low only) and there is a Switching frequency option I am not familiar with. 8hz or 16hz. I am guessing 16hz is what I want.

Bartman

Thanks guys. I was able to connect to the software and set all of the necessary end points by disconnecting all of the ESC's except the one with the red wire. (these esc have bec built in).
I still get weird behavior in two of the motors. I have programmed the ESCs both by radio (holy PITA, these esc can only be set one setting at a time!) and with a programming card which does not cover all of the programming options. There is no middle timing option with these, which is what I fly on other set-ups (auto, high or low only) and there is a Switching frequency option I am not familiar with. 8hz or 16hz. I am guessing 16hz is what I want.

with the hoverfly PRO, all ESC setting can be accomplished simultaneously. leave the throttle full up when you power up the helicopter and the ESC's will enter programming mode. program what you want to program (with the radio sticks as you would when you do them one at a time) and then cycle the power when you're done.

i'm actually using a spare PRO with an orange receiver as an ESC programmer!

Yeah, that would be great, but when run through the HFP these esc's are not all playing nice at the same time, so that won't work. Going though the long process one more time to make sure they are all on 16hz

Bartman

Yeah, that would be great, but when run through the HFP these esc's are not all playing nice at the same time, so that won't work. Going though the long process one more time to make sure they are all on 16hz

are you powering the receiver via the ESC's and PRO? If so, you should be able to pull the red wires from the servo plugs, power the receiver with a spare battery temporarily, and then go through the ESC programming with the PRO. If your ESC's still behave differently from each other you might want to try restoring them all to factory settings and then try again with the PRO.