Freefly Movi M5 Brushless Gimbal, Official Users' Thread

Quinton

HI,

anyone can write me diameters and pitch between the holes of the toad in the hole quick release and male adapter. the best would if you have some blueprint.

Regards

Peter

Just gave it a quick check with a vernier and seems to be 32mm PCD, there are 2 holes one tapped the other just a drilled hole at 3.1mm

update *Sorry my mistake, the PCD seems to be around 45.2mm the distance between each hole seems to be 32mm

Last edited by a moderator:

PMaughan

Little update on my "bricked" M5, seems my Mac must have interrupted the update process somehow with power saver, screen did dip it's brightness during update so that must have been it. This results in needing a jumper cable to allow the process to restart. So worth making sure any power saving or screen saver is disabled.

Freefly support has surpassed my expectations, getting back to me on a Sunday. That's worth a lot.

Pete

peterd

Just gave it a quick check with a vernier and seems to be 32mm PCD, there are 2 holes one tapped the other just a drilled hole at 3.1mm

update *Sorry my mistake, the PCD seems to be around 45.2mm the distance between each hole seems to be 32mm

Hi

Thank you, I just came consignment with Toad In The Hole .... I attach some photos ....

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116792922052207517586/albums/6039011196818792081

the distance between each hole seems to be 32mm compatible with standart arm clamp 25 mm ..(Tarot ect.) 4 hole M3 or 4 hole 3,1 mm

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116792922052207517586/albums/6039370938645469473

Peter

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Just went through the new firmware upgrade and I'm attempting to utilize the autotune feature but it isn't progressing through the process after a few minutes.

Has anyone else been using it? How long should it take a Movi to Autotune? Does it have to be in ground or airborne mode?

Thanks,
Bart

Quinton

Just went through the new firmware upgrade and I'm attempting to utilize the autotune feature but it isn't progressing through the process after a few minutes.

Has anyone else been using it? How long should it take a Movi to Autotune? Does it have to be in ground or airborne mode?

Thanks,
Bart

Did you actually select "autotune" in the dropdown menu top right, that confused me the first time I did it.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Did you actually select "autotune" in the dropdown menu top right, that confused me the first time I did it.

I'm not sure what I did Quinton. It eventually worked but when I uploaded my settings it did a bit of a freak-out and the wire going to the tilt motor was damaged. It shouldn't be too hard to fix but it does look like I missed the autotune menu item in the upper right hand dropdown menu.

Bart

nowsay

We are having issues with the gear rail assembly. Getting serious movement causing our shots to look very shaky (not vibration but large movements). The whole system seems to be shifting around on the grommets. Any suggestions? Since the photo we have tried flipping the grommets upside down as well as the black ones.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DJS15621.jpg
    DJS15621.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 328

econfly

We are having issues with the gear rail assembly. Getting serious movement causing our shots to look very shaky (not vibration but large movements). The whole system seems to be shifting around on the grommets. Any suggestions? Since the photo we have tried flipping the grommets upside down as well as the black ones.

That's a lot of mass up against those rubber grommets. If it's sliding you could use a pipe clamp or similar to stop it. If the M5 is setup correctly the center of mass will always be directly under the toad-in-the-hole mount so another approach would be to re-work the mount and remove the sliders (you don't need them apart from any vibration reduction coming from the grommets).

Quinton

Sorry I should have been more specific. Its the red grommets that are bending and moving around.

A couple of things, what have you go the toad in the hole connected to, it looks like a 3rd party holder, and not directly to the Skyjib plate.
Also what legs are you using, is it the longest legs, as I and a couple of others are having serious problems yawing when flying fast forward.

Also I see that your Pan bar is the normal length, does this mean you DO NOT have 360 degrees with the legs down, and have to ensure you flick the switch to be straight forward when landing/taking off?

nowsay

A couple of things, what have you go the toad in the hole connected to, it looks like a 3rd party holder, and not directly to the Skyjib plate.
Also what legs are you using, is it the longest legs, as I and a couple of others are having serious problems yawing when flying fast forward.

Also I see that your Pan bar is the normal length, does this mean you DO NOT have 360 degrees with the legs down, and have to ensure you flick the switch to be straight forward when landing/taking off?

Im connected to the Ninja plate from Freefly. There were no holes for the toad in the hole to screw into so I thought the plate would give me better mounting.
The legs are longest ones from aeronavics.. hate them, can't seem to handle the weight well at all.

You are correct... gotta have the movi back centered for landing.

Quinton

Im connected to the Ninja plate from Freefly. There were no holes for the toad in the hole to screw into so I thought the plate would give me better mounting.
The legs are longest ones from aeronavics.. hate them, can't seem to handle the weight well at all.

You are correct... gotta have the movi back centered for landing.

Ok, interesting.
I actually bought the freefly MR legs, but I hated the way they would spin if you had the slightest bit of wind during take-off.
I was really worried about not having 360 with my legs down, so I cut the extra Pan tube that came with the Freefly MR legs to allow 360, as it would be very dangerous if something happened during flight and you could not get the retracts down as you didn't point directly forward.
Not sure how long you have had it, but try yawing when flying fast forward and see if you struggle with the yaw.
I just drilled 4 holes directly to the skyjib plate and mounted the toad to that, and it seems ok, so maybe your extra plate is maybe moving?

Landing with the extended legs is a bit hairy, I think that the skids are very small for the height of the legs..personally.
The Freefly MR legs were great for landing take off, very stable but I just could not get used to the constant having to kill the gimble to make sure it didn't start into a wild spin.

nowsay

Here is a video of what we are experiencing. Huge movement from the vibration dampeners

Quinton

Here is a video of what we are experiencing. Huge movement from the vibration dampeners

TBH it looks normal to me.
I don't really like the toad in the hole on the Skyjib plate, as it is almost 3kg which is attached to a very small surface area of about 30mm.
I always said there is a lot of tugging and pulling going on for such a connection.

On the likes of the Freefly MR, you have quite a large 3mm CF attachment plate, that connects to the MR directly, which would be much better.

I dont think the TITH (toad in the hole) is well suited for the Skyjib vibration plate as the weight is not spread very well.
What is your actual video like, is it causing problems, as your Movi should be able to handle it pretty easily.

It's just a socket and insert combination that allows quick mounting. For maximum flexibility you put the female/socket part (the $299 quick release) on the gimbal. Just take off the handles and screw it on. Then mount the male adapters -- one to the handles, and another to your copter. That's it. On the copter you still have to deal with isolation, etc., but just mount the adapter where you would otherwise mount the gimbal directly.

This quick release system is a very nice product apart from the M5. You could use it for a variety of things. The male adapters click into the receptacle and can be release by pushing in two opposing buttons (very easy and natural). At that point you have capture and 360 rotation so you can position the gimbal where you want it. Then there is a tension lever (adjustable) that locks the rotation.

I don't know if it mounts well to the adapter plate, but it is easy enough to drill a few holes to make it work. All you need is a mount point for the male adapter. I'm making what I need from carbon fiber sheet (the plan is to fly the M5 with my S1000 which works on paper anyway). I may need to extend the gear a bit to get enough clearance however.

The $299 item comes with a single male adapter. You will want to add another one to do what I described above.

Hey there -did you get your MOVI configured with the s1000? I have both myself and I'm working towards that goal. Clearly need landing gear extensions (just find some carbon fiber tubes?) - then there's the mounting plate. Did you go with the quick release and the carbon fiber plate like you were planning?

econfly

Hey there -did you get your MOVI configured with the s1000? I have both myself and I'm working towards that goal. Clearly need landing gear extensions (just find some carbon fiber tubes?) - then there's the mounting plate. Did you go with the quick release and the carbon fiber plate like you were planning?

No, I ended up going with a Zenmuse BMPCC on my S1000. I've been busy on other things, but still plan to get the MOVI in the air.

No, I ended up going with a Zenmuse BMPCC on my S1000. I've been busy on other things, but still plan to get the MOVI in the air.

Ah ok - well I'll post some notes when I get mine rigged up. Looking for gear extensions and some type of mounting plate to hang on the rails.

PMaughan

Old news to some probably but yesterday I took off the toad and bolted direct to Skyjib plate which gave me much higher stiffness settings and nicer video.

So it'll be staying off!

Pete