DJI Zenmuse gimbal and S800 Spreading Wings preorder

tstrike

pendejo grande
Hi Rob, it was great meeting you at nab. How's the shipped model compare to the ones they had on display? Do you have the gimbal?
tom

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Hi Rob, it was great meeting you at nab. How's the shipped model compare to the ones they had on display? Do you have the gimbal?
tom

Hey Tom,

Its pretty much the same that I can tell so far.
I do not have the gimbal yet.

Its pouring rain right now.

Tahoe Ed

I am starting my build and have run into an issue with the instructions. The sheet of paper in the case says: "Attention, The screws in the bottom board have been installed with screw glue, which is slightly different from that in the manual. To avoid any damages, please do not unscrew the installed screws with screw glue in the bottom board." Ok, but I cannot disassemble the top and bottom plates unscrewing the top plate alone. Really "screwy" if you ask me. The quality of the parts are top notch. The case is good enough to trust with airline baggage handlers and it is lockable. Two keys are included.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ah s..t not cool probably something happened to my S800 on the way ;(

TNT tracking message:

01 May 2012 06:01:50 Liege Euro Hub Held Hub-spec. Forwarding Need

Tahoe Ed

Bummer man. Hope you get yours soon. New software should be out in a few days. It is another Chinese holiday right now. Soon it will be the most American of holidays, Cinco de Mayo. It's almost as good as St. Patrick's Day. LOL

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
10min flight this morning in the Rain.
6s, 10000mah packs.
10 mins only burned 43% of each pack. That is what the charger says, I'll figure out exact mah put back in when they are charged.

My poor S800 is very wet from the rain, oh well, testing continues.

The dihedral I can feel. Movements (slow) keep the Hexa more level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eoin

Hi Rob.
Can I ask about your poor wet S800. Did you actually fly in the rain and if so, how did it behave ?
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive and, as I live in a perpetually wet Country, one of my interests was how it will handle a little moisture.
I presume the ESC's in the arms are not waterproof ? Is their much danger of a short if things get too wet ?
Thanks
Eoin

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Charger put back 3476 mah for 10 min flight.
So the math at that payload would give 23 mins of flight time with still saving 20% in the packs (using 8000mah).

I really need the rain to stop. :(

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
It was pretty wet. It was more a drizzle then a down pour.

It would be pretty hard for the sec's to get wet under the motors. They are very well protected.

I seem to be the guy that tests everything to its max. I'm hard on everything. I usually can find the breaking point of things. :)

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Awesome Robert, good to know it can get a little wet. Thanks for posting your findings. Can't wait for mine!

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Awesome Robert, good to know it can get a little wet. Thanks for posting your findings. Can't wait for mine!

It really wouldn't need much of a dome and all the electronics would be protected (besides the motors). The 15" props keep most of the spray away. Maybe after I get a few "extra" in stock I'll start messing with domes or covers. Or maybe DJI is ahead of the curve. I'm thinking something like the Droidworx CX4 canopy would be neat.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Quick iPhone pics.

I was trying to get the LED at the end of the arms but not sure how well you can see with an iPhone .

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 449
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 393
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 366
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 357

Eoin

Thanks Rob,
This is good to know. If one can fly the S800 in a little drizzle then I'll be very happy !
Water and electronics always concern me. I presume there is a certain amount of custom waterproofing that can be done without going down the dome route, but I have never tried any of it.
Perhaps we could start a waterproofing techniques thread !

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
You could always use clear wrap from the kitchen. :)

Thanks Rob,
This is good to know. If one can fly the S800 in a little drizzle then I'll be very happy !
Water and electronics always concern me. I presume there is a certain amount of custom waterproofing that can be done without going down the dome route, but I have never tried any of it.
Perhaps we could start a waterproofing techniques thread !

I am trying to understand an issue with this set up. I am thinking the GH2 is the best for video, can I get a live video feed out of the camera for shot compositon. As far as I understand the display shuts off during record. How using teh zenmuse is live video supposed to be transmitted?. sorry if this a newb question, I am just haveing a problem try to undertsnad how to get FPV from the s800 and zenmuse
thanks
FB

tppeng

I am trying to understand an issue with this set up. I am thinking the GH2 is the best for video, can I get a live video feed out of the camera for shot compositon. As far as I understand the display shuts off during record. How using teh zenmuse is live video supposed to be transmitted?. sorry if this a newb question, I am just haveing a problem try to undertsnad how to get FPV from the s800 and zenmuse
thanks
FB

I have no clue as to whether the Live-output problem is solved on the GH2 yet. but just to get FPV going, it is not hard. And by the way, GH2 is not the best for video anymore, as far as I know.
Take a look at Sony's HDR-PJ710v, PJ760v or CX760v next time you drop by Sony store closer to you, the stabilization unit they have is phenomenal!

thanks
FB

Since DJI is try to keep the hardware proprietary and all dependent on each other I would guess that to use the hdmi to analogue output of the Zenmise you would need the Ruiling TX.

One of the reasons I went in the OSRC and Sony CX730 direction. Only waiting Photohigher to get their act together fix their website and offer the AV200 stepper motor upgrade. Hopefully under one million euro...