DJI acknowledges Zenmuse-GH3 fault. But when will it be fixed?

rotorvista

All fixed! forward/down facing aux2 working. roll/tilt and pan now also centre on reset mode. they have also smoothened the stick input. and the shutter and video on/off now activates with a 2 action movement of switch.

you can still rotate 360 in fpv mode but i don't mind that.

thanks DJI :02.47-tranquillity:

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well, don't get too excited everybody.

I did not have a problem updating the GCU from v1.10 to v1.12 and the IMU from v1.2 to v1.4 using Assistant v1.00. Likewise for the iOSD mk11 to FWv2.02 with Assistant v3.02.

The Z15-GH3 90° down in Reset/FPV mode has been fixed and the Roll & Tilt axes now return to centre when switching to 'Reset', along with the Pan - which used to anyway.

However, as usual when a new firmware is released, problems are fixed but then something major gets screwed up. In this case the Pan axis. In FPV and single Op. modes (Reset & H.Trace) the Pan axis jerks and graunches after 20° of airframe rotation and in the process unhinges the double Op. mode (H.Free) so that the Pan slowly rotates on its own in that mode. It can be brought back to centre by switching to Reset but it does not perform properly without a complete power down/up. Whether or not this is a firmware issue or I just have a faulty unit is unknown at this point.

Conclusion: D1ckheads. Jerks&. Imbeciles have still not delivered a working solution for the Z15-GH3.

On a positive note, the Z15-GH2 has received at least five bashings, each one requiring undoing screws and re-balancing the whole thing, and it is still soldiering on. These bashings have been at the hands of an S800 that has gone from performing consistently and admirably** with FW 5.22, to a totally berserk and unpredictable heap of crap that works fine one minute and flips the next. Have no idea what the problem is with the piece of sh1t.

** ... after replacing/upgrading every single component, bar the two circular centre plates and the original props, because the original items were not fit for purpose/faulty/poorly calibrated ...

As I have always maintained, the SOLE piece of DJI kit that is of any worth is the original Zenmuse. Everything else is rubbish.

... you can still rotate 360 in fpv mode but i don't mind that...

It depends upon which of the three modes you consider to be 'FPV Mode' - 'Reset' or 'H. Trace'.

It used to be that in the Reset Mode the mount would stabilise all three axes, with the Pan axis doing a poor sort of 'Follow Mode' up to around 10-15° degrees of travel, but would not respond to any Tx commands - other than 90° down. In the next Mode (H.Trace) all three axes were stabilised precisely as Reset, but Tx control was also available for all three axes, with Pan still limited to about 15° of travel.

What happens now is that 360° Pan is available in this second mode. Plus, it operates in slew mode, as opposed to the previous proportional mode, meaning the stick has to be returned to centre to stop it continuing to pan.

rotorvista

Sorry to hear that Mombasa but I'm not having those problems. fpv mode, i mean h.trace yes it is in slew mode and 360 pan not proportional as on the nex zen. i do have a problem though which i thought this upgrade would fix and that is my horizon is not level in reset mode and if i level the horizon in the other 2 modes it rolls to about 20 degrees as i pan round 180 degrees and then comes back level as i go back to forward but i only have about 10 degrees either side of forward level. i'm guessing this just needs setting up by dji so will be contacting my dealer asap. i do not want to have to send it to China....

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
MBF,

you think an original 2 axis zenmuse is a reliable and good performing mount?

that would be an NEX compatible mount, right?

thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome! One word of warning to others! Installed the new firmware today while I was visiting my dealer and the first upgrade bricked the GCU! Glad it happened with dealer as witness. Swapped for another GCU and the firmware upgrade worked.

Functioning correctly now with all settings so will test fly tomorrow.

My horizon is not level too. Its off by just under 1 degree (0.7). Tried two other GH3's at dealer and they're all the same. My IMU is completely level but the Zen is very sensitive to the slightest of IMU movement. I can move the IMU on its sticky tape slightly and the Zen levels correctly. Hoping its a firmware fix.

iOSD is 0 in the gimbal info for horizon.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
MBF,

you think an original 2 axis zenmuse is a reliable and good performing mount?....

In a word, Yes. Mine is actually a GH2 version converted to GH3 use and it has suffered some serious abuse this past month. But it is still delivering the stable goods. Amazingly it remains the only relatively available mainstream commercial option. The anticipated rush of alternative DD brushless gimbal options is still a rather disparate scattering of small time offerings.

I would add that the first Z15 was way off on the horizon. DJI said at the time that up to one degree off horizontal is acceptable. My response was along the lines of "Bollocks" and they eventually agreed to replace it. However, the replacement was no better. Fortunately I worked out how to adjust the Roll axis mechanically - although the real culprit is sloppy encoder programming.

As for the Z15-GH3, with all the aforementioned issues it has not yet been flown seriously so I cannot give an opinion on how they both compare. The Z-GH3 is certainly noisy and appears to function completely differently, but at least the camera controls and buttons are now reasonably accessible.

The sole fly in the ointment is the obligation to have a WKM. I would so prefer to stick the Zen onto my venerable AD-8 with its MK FC stack. It is just so reliable and consistent. But the complication of installing a relatively heavy mount with retracts and a largely redundant additional FC on such a light-weight airframe is not really viable. It would have to be converted to an X8 with bigger everything and that is far too much work!

My horizon is not level too.....

It ain't a firmware fix. It is an encoder issue on the Roll axis. The Zenmuse Nex/GH2 were the same - sloppy Roll axis motor encoder programming. Mine is about 0.7° off. I have not yet looked to see if it can be adjusted mechanically, as is possible with the original Nex/GH2 Zen.

As you have discovered, the Zen is very responsive to movement of the main IMU. You could possibly get away with a bit of compromise on its horizontal mounting and sacrifice a touch of airframe lateral drift to gain a few tenth degrees of gimbal horizon. A horizon error of 0.3° is largely unnoticeable.

It ain't a firmware fix. It is an encoder issue on the Roll axis. The Zenmuse Nex/GH2 were the same - sloppy Roll axis motor encoder programming. Mine is about 0.7° off. I have not yet looked to see if it can be adjusted mechanically, as is possible with the original Nex/GH2 Zen.

Thanks for the info. If you work out a way to adjust the roll axis mechanically please let us know :)

They've removed the ability to move the camera/lens forwards and backwards to balance for other lenses on the tilt axis. No doubt DJI preventing people from balancing on their own.

Hi MBF

Did you get to the bottom of the pan twitch? as I have the same problem. If you didn't can you do a little test for me please.
Power up your rig on the bench and check that you have no pan movement. Then just start the engines for a moment, can you see any pan movement whilst they are running.

All the best

andrew

Well, don't get too excited everybody.

I did not have a problem updating the GCU from v1.10 to v1.12 and the IMU from v1.2 to v1.4 using Assistant v1.00. Likewise for the iOSD mk11 to FWv2.02 with Assistant v3.02.

The Z15-GH3 90° down in Reset/FPV mode has been fixed and the Roll & Tilt axes now return to centre when switching to 'Reset', along with the Pan - which used to anyway.

However, as usual when a new firmware is released, problems are fixed but then something major gets screwed up. In this case the Pan axis. In FPV and single Op. modes (Reset & H.Trace) the Pan axis jerks and graunches after 20° of airframe rotation and in the process unhinges the double Op. mode (H.Free) so that the Pan slowly rotates on its own in that mode. It can be brought back to centre by switching to Reset but it does not perform properly without a complete power down/up. Whether or not this is a firmware issue or I just have a faulty unit is unknown at this point.

Conclusion: D1ckheads. Jerks&. Imbeciles have still not delivered a working solution for the Z15-GH3.

On a positive note, the Z15-GH2 has received at least five bashings, each one requiring undoing screws and re-balancing the whole thing, and it is still soldiering on. These bashings have been at the hands of an S800 that has gone from performing consistently and admirably** with FW 5.22, to a totally berserk and unpredictable heap of crap that works fine one minute and flips the next. Have no idea what the problem is with the piece of sh1t.

** ... after replacing/upgrading every single component, bar the two circular centre plates and the original props, because the original items were not fit for purpose/faulty/poorly calibrated ...

As I have always maintained, the SOLE piece of DJI kit that is of any worth is the original Zenmuse. Everything else is rubbish.

It depends upon which of the three modes you consider to be 'FPV Mode' - 'Reset' or 'H. Trace'.

It used to be that in the Reset Mode the mount would stabilise all three axes, with the Pan axis doing a poor sort of 'Follow Mode' up to around 10-15° degrees of travel, but would not respond to any Tx commands - other than 90° down. In the next Mode (H.Trace) all three axes were stabilised precisely as Reset, but Tx control was also available for all three axes, with Pan still limited to about 15° of travel.

What happens now is that 360° Pan is available in this second mode. Plus, it operates in slew mode, as opposed to the previous proportional mode, meaning the stick has to be returned to centre to stop it continuing to pan.

rotorvista

A few people seem to have been having problems with the video downlink with the zenmuse gh3, mine was ok until today, it is now full of luminance and flickery, I am using a 25mw tx, I tried different antennas and it was the same also i noticed it was only when the motors were started that it was acting up. I think it could be a problem with having the power supply for the transmitter coming from the zenmuse GCU, I see DJI have now isolated this so you have to have a seperate transmitter power supply on the zenmuse Mk5D version.

rotorvista

My horizon is also off in reset mode and when rotated 180 degrees it is off by a good 10 degrees, it is fine when i set the horizon in fpv mode and fly from there which is ok for single operator but will be a bit of a pain for 2 man operating.

rotorvista

pretty chuffed, managed to balance my zenmuse and mzuiko 12mm with a B&W ND filter and its working fine no motor straining, just stuck some blu tac between the lcd and body :) hopefully be able to test it out tomorrow

here's a boring video test without a filter, turned the tx off to come home

tombrown1

pretty chuffed, managed to balance my zenmuse and mzuiko 12mm with a B&W ND filter and its working fine no motor straining, just stuck some blu tac between the lcd and body :) hopefully be able to test it out tomorrow

here's a boring video test without a filter, turned the tx off to come home

Wow - that thing is ridiculous. No post stab, right? Still seems a little jumpy on pan movements - do you find it hard to make smooth pans with it? That was one of the knocks on the original Zen.

rotorvista

Cheers Tom, no post stab, all at original speed just a bit of colouring. I use the Jibs yaw to pan and was in gps mode. In that vid I turned the tx off, that was the fast spin round, the rest was in fail safe :) I have a video from today with more pan and tilt moves but will upload it later in the week.