CX WKM Build

Kilby

I've been wondering about that myself. I have mine fastened down with the 3M double sided tape that has a little thickness to it. I've never been able to get it to flash only once when in GPS or ATTI, I always get the double flash. Do you think this is from the way I have it mounted? Maybe I should zip tie it down also?

-Terry

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I've been wondering about that myself. I have mine fastened down with the 3M double sided tape that has a little thickness to it. I've never been able to get it to flash only once when in GPS or ATTI, I always get the double flash. Do you think this is from the way I have it mounted? Maybe I should zip tie it down also?

-Terry

It won't do any harm, it can only improve performance.

Gunter.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Even during these strong oscillations i didn't get any white flashes so i guess its two pair of shoes. Having a to loosely mounted IMU does not always gets indicated by white flashes, but results in you having to keep the gains lower than you could get them to be.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Strange ones with the CX and WKM setup.

Conditions -11
Wind, medium but constant from the side.

Normal flight second lipo on and motor speed up from beginning on was much to fast on the rear props. Front left right didn't take up any speed and thus yaw on ground and eventually flip over. Also strange sometimes GPS works without any problems than again fast drift off or no GPS lock at all. Reboot the system again GPS there in 10 sec other tries no lock again ? Hmm this in consistency doesn't make me happy.

Something wrong again with can bus. The temps cant be the reason.

Boris

Min 1:39 the troubles start

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
One thing i noticed though the longer i am out in the cold the lower i have to put the basic gains. Otherwise i already have strong oscillations on the ground and much early in the air. I guess the IMU and the Gyro virbation pads or what ever they are loss performance at some point !

Boris

elossam

May be each wkm has an expiration date like yoghourts. :highly_amused: I noticed the same lack of gps lock with the octo days ago under shoft wind conditions and at +10°C.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
just a quick one and mainly flown hung over :), but i am starting to like the CX again for short deploys taking some shots with the Gopro.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am flying a AD-6 with DJI NAZA. Now I know this isn't the same thing, but it is similar. I used a FY-30A vibration dampening plate with the NAZA, which was mounted on velcro to let me reposition it easily. I NEVER had to readjust my gain from the default 100 across the board. The NAZA was rock solid. Maybe temp plays a bigger part than we acknowledge. I am in Queensland Aus where its a balmy 25 - 35 degrees celsius.

I have A WKM coming for my own CX-4 this week. I'm concerned about this oscillation greatly. I would have thought that the reason the CX is going skitz is because of the wookong being too exposed to the engine vibration, then overcorrecting each time, causing it to shake more and more violently. Would not a vibration dampening mount prevent this in the first instance?

I guess I'll find out myself when I start my build. Cheers for your video and info though.

rwijnhov

I too use very thin double sided tape and at ziptie to mount my imu to my f450. Rock solid. Only get a whtite flash when i am doing realy wild stuff with the rig. I like to fly it hard and push it a lot.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Never posted the final pics of the CX build.

What really made sense in the whole build is that extra part for mounting the GPS and attaching the lipo to. By mounting the lipo towards the back the copter is balanced which makes sense.

View attachment 3504View attachment 3505

Change to Herks and KW4 motors and i am very happy with this approach.

Attachments

• P1000142.jpg
    P1000142.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 294
  • P1000144.jpg
    P1000144.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 327

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
The leds are all underneath the canopy and the canopy wit spray painted from the outside but i left out the line, with these thing taped they use for cars when they do the side lines.

I wanted to ask you dave, I want to add some single LEDS to the booms, since your the LED man what do you recommend. Should work with 4s or other source i have is 12.5 V and should not get to hot that they melt the motors cables. Will be behind a makrolon circle.

View attachment 3506

Attachments

• photoABC.jpg
    photoABC.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 360

Id love to see a close up of the way you have mounted your battery and gps. Also, have you used both photo higher mounts for the cx4? Which one do you like best?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Matthew,

its one carbon piece attached to the landing gear going all the way back, mounted the receiver, the LED to it and the GPS modul on the other side to it. I am not happy with the way the lipo is attached 100% because the velcro straps should be fixed to the carbon somehow. But it works i might get a new one some day. And it would be better if the Carbon piece would have a second point were it is attached to the frame. Its bends a little, which will maybe play a role during fast ascends, but i didnt have any problems yet.

View attachment 3507

Boris

Attachments

• P1000161.jpg
    P1000161.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 361

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Id love to see a close up of the way you have mounted your battery and gps. Also, have you used both photo higher mounts for the cx4? Which one do you like best?

May plan was only to use a gopro on the CX and the 500 Euro for a 2 axis gimbal is just to much for the product in my eyes. I got the tilt only one from PH although that already hurt price wise. Only using it for tilting the gimbal without any stabi.
But i hope that this one will be available for the CX at some point. http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?2549-New-GoPro-Tilt-and-roll-gimbal.

Boris

Boris Your wish will come sooner than you think. I have been working on a CX-4 design with Rob at AeroXcraft.com and the the prototype will be with me at the weekend :nevreness: Once I have reported back to Rob I will post images.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp it is a fun bird, no question. Would have been cool if the canopy would have been a little smaller thus less of a sail in the wind. But otherwise i cool bird !

Hey Boris, Just had my CX4 flying for a few days on EPP 1045s whilst my new 12" XOARs arrived. When they got in and I plugged them on, one of my motors wouldnt spin up anymore. I think it was the DJI ESC it was connected to being damaged from my previous soldering job, so the whole power harness has been ripped out and I've splurged on a V4 Herkules. Yes, god help me its more expensive than a computer. Anyway, can I trouble you for some pictures of your Herk setup inside your CX4? I've already read about mounting it aft to avoid interference with the IMU.