CBS Sunday Morning interview

Kilby

Hey gang,

So my wife and I are being interviewed by the news show, CBS Sunday Morning. They are doing a story on drones, from military to civilian use. They seem to cater to somewhat of an arts crowd, so they wanted to show a civilian using a "drone" for artistic purposes. We have been doing photography shows around Baltimore for about a year now, and have got some regional coverage for it ( Baltimore Sun Feature ), so they wanted to feature us in the story.

My reason for bringing this up is that I wanted to ask the group for suggestions on talking points. Right now is a very sensitive time for what we do, and I want to make sure that we take full advantage of the opportunity we have before us. Can you guys suggest somethings that we might want to include in our interview? I'm sure that we have thought of a lot of good things already, but it never hurts to get input from outside sources, and this is the best place I can think of for that.

I have brought some of the outrageous new bills being presented in various states to the attention of the executive producer, so I'm hoping he will bite on that, but I know that we have a chance at getting the word out in our segment as well. Help us think of the best way to frame this out.

Any input is appreciated, and thanks go out in advance.

-Terry

Badfrog

Great opportunity! Be sure to DONT give them any "negative after editing" sound bites.
De- emphasize the general populations current perception of military "killer" drones... That seems to be the lead on most of the stories the media does.
Positives;
Search and rescue
Commercial photography

When will your interview air?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hjls3

Kilby congrats - one of the things I am leaning towards is using a word other than "Drone". Not sure how well that plays considering that the show seems to be about drones. Anyways - look forward to the show.

some possible talking points - search and rescue, natural disaster deployment, and my personal favorite - art.

Kilby

Good points, thanks. The actual interview takes place tomorrow, but I'm not 100% sure when it airs. I guess I find out then. I'll be sure to post it here though when we do find out.

-Terry

Kilby

Kilby congrats - one of the things I am leaning towards is using a word other than "Drone". Not sure how well that plays considering that the show seems to be about drones. Anyways - look forward to the show.

some possible talking points - search and rescue, natural disaster deployment, and my personal favorite - art.

We have gone back and forth about this, and our stance is now that we want to use it as often as possible and try to help change the meaning of the words in other peoples minds. We do public speaking engagements at schools and community centers and we always use that word for that exact reason. It also plays into the story better that way.

Like it or not, someone that isn't educated on this technology the way we are is going to look at these aircraft and immediately call it a drone. I'd rather work on changing the definition of that word than change their mind about what it is AND convince them that it's for a good purpose. Luckily, the EP of the show seems to have the same opinion about this and that seems to be a big part of why we are there to begin with.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Terry.. in another post 'aerial robots' rather than 'drones' may be a good term, gets away from the military stigma.

Good luck buddy.. no pressure.. all of us are waiting with baited breath, do your best to portray us as artists looking for a different aspect and not some weirdoes looking to see what her next door is doing..
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

Whenever people ask me what the heck? they dont think drone. They think TOY and that is aok with me. But that is just me, who knows. In my experience when people think drones, they are thinking Predator type things shooting weapons and spying on people. THat is why I happen to think its dangerous getting grouped in with those things. Truth is, I really dont know all the differences between multi-rotor AP ship and a missile launching predator. I just know that what I do and what my needs are, are vastly different then the agency flying a Predator. Therefore I dont want the same regs on what i do as the agency flying a Predator type of craft.

I have been in 5 different schools and i am currently working with a middle school robotics program. SOmewhere this morning I read the term "flying ROBOT" - I dig it. Everyone loves robots :)

Anyways....I will respectfully disagree and wish you luck tomorrow. Looking forward to watching it and while you and i might disagree aobut the use of the word drone, i totally respect you for getting the positive word out their for us.

We have gone back and forth about this, and our stance is now that we want to use it as often as possible and try to help change the meaning of the words in other peoples minds. We do public speaking engagements at schools and community centers and we always use that word for that exact reason. It also plays into the story better that way.

Like it or not, someone that isn't educated on this technology the way we are is going to look at these aircraft and immediately call it a drone. I'd rather work on changing the definition of that word than change their mind about what it is AND convince them that it's for a good purpose. Luckily, the EP of the show seems to have the same opinion about this and that seems to be a big part of why we are there to begin with.

Kilby

Whenever people ask me what the heck? they dont think drone. They think TOY and that is aok with me. But that is just me, who knows. In my experience when people think drones, they are thinking Predator type things shooting weapons and spying on people. THat is why I happen to think its dangerous getting grouped in with those things. Truth is, I really dont know all the differences between multi-rotor AP ship and a missile launching predator. I just know that what I do and what my needs are, are vastly different then the agency flying a Predator. Therefore I dont want the same regs on what i do as the agency flying a Predator type of craft.

I have been in 5 different schools and i am currently working with a middle school robotics program. SOmewhere this morning I read the term "flying ROBOT" - I dig it. Everyone loves robots :)

Anyways....I will respectfully disagree and wish you luck tomorrow. Looking forward to watching it and while you and i might disagree aobut the use of the word drone, i totally respect you for getting the positive word out their for us.

I've gone back and forth on this myself and have had an opinion much the same as yours time and time again. There is no doubt that there is a stigma associated with the word "drone" due to the fact that it's usually considered a killing machine overseas. At the end of the day though, I think the culture defines the word, not us. The media and the politicians have a much bigger impact on the culture at large, and they are no doubt grouping us in with the vehicles called "drones". Just look at the ridiculous bill that is on the senate floor in Oregon. According to that language, a kids toy sold at Target is considered a drone. Seeing actions like that is what made us determined to stop fighting the language and help change the definition itself. If those laws pass, telling the cops that you don't fly a drone, you have a flying robot won't get you very far.

hjls3

you know i am pretty sure that every news broadcast truck would love to have a AP ship inside, along with someone the likes of Kloner to fly it. Might touch on why the guy behind the camera pointed at you tomorrow, might really think its cool.

jcmonty

Very cool.

I would emphasize that what we are doing is artistic and capable of shots that you can't get anywhere else. Safer than manned helis for a lot of shots. When people see me fly, the reactions have NEVER been negative. They are always in awe and want to know more about what i am doing.

Even military UAVS aren't all killing machines. A lot are actually saving lives -but you don't hear about that in the media.

kloner

Aerial DP
Good luck dude! have fun, knock em dead and make us look better than we are. Glad they asked you, your smart enough to do this right and your use is a perfect example of why these things shouldn't be scary.

I get alot of attention from the places i'm flying, most of it is totaly positive, then you got people like my neighbor that's scared to death of the thing, not for what it can do if it went at them but for the camera on front and there feeling of loss of privacy. Shes crazy, you don't see her, she just screams from behind the bushes. Get that f'ing thing outta here..... sometimes a hose sprays...... the people that own that falling over barn in alot of my vids from home

xvin

Terry,
This can be a good thing for our community, depending on the goal of the reporter. But given the current climate, I recommend you do the following:</SPAN>
Practice talking points that emphasize your use of the tool for art. If you do get a question on safety or privacy, be prepared with talking points that will emphasize the positive: </SPAN>
“…I like this activity because it allows me to use my ## years of experience in flying ‘radio controlled aircraft’ to give my audience a different perspective of the photographed subject. This platform allows me to do this without the cost and risks that a full sized aircraft would bring.” </SPAN>
“When controlling my aircraft, by keeping it within my line of sight, I can see it and its complete surroundings …”</SPAN>
“I can’t wait to take it to the Grand Canyon later this year… and next year I’m launching it to Mars : )”</SPAN>
Seriously, I recommend that you do your research and be prepared for the types of questions you may be asked. Be prepared for fun-hobby questions and a conversation the may lead into air-safety and privacy. </SPAN>
I recommend that you and the community use terms like radio controlled aircraft or multi rotor helicopter, etc and avoid use of the word drone. The word Drone has a negative connotation. Don’t forget that you always keep your aircraft in sight.</SPAN>

Don’t speculate on policy, surveillance use, etc.

Vince</SPAN>

Dewster

I agree with Droider. Drones have taken on a bad name because of warfare. Search and rescue, aerial photography are just the tip of the iceberg for it's use. Look at the nuclear meltdown in Japan after the earthquake and tsunami. Imagine the use there. Both small fixed wing drones and multirotors could carry cameras or instruments to collect data that's useful for rescue operations.

This is certainly a good opportunity to shed some positive light on our aerial robots.

Tahoe Ed

You mentioned some of the onerous laws being proposed. The Guys in Oregon need some help.

Please help us save the unmanned systems industry, in Oregon, by signing our petition in opposition to Senate Bill 71. http://www.change.org/petitions/ore...-hobby-aerial-photography-and-fpv-communities

This bill seeks to create a blanket ban against unmanned aircraft use in the state of Oregon. It stifles legitimate scientific, commercial, and artistic uses for these systems and does not distinguish between military style drones and those used for peaceful purposes.

Thank you.

http://www.aerialtechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SB71.pdf

Stephen Burtt
Aerial Technology International
O. 503 344 4397
T. 888-404-4721 ext 101
www.aerialtechnology.com

Visit us on Facebook and "Like" us to see the latest and greatest...
http://www.facebook.com/AerialTechnologyInternational

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yes! I personally feel good having you be our voice. Also a good opportunity to change the nomenclature of our gear from drones to aerial robots. Or whatever else you may come up with that doesn't infringe on George Lucas. Let us know when/where we can see it.

ghaynes

Terry why not call our aircraft what they are. Multi-copter, Quadro-copter even helicopter. Drone is a correct term but the connotation has taken on the proportions of calling a semi-automatic rifle an 'assault weapon'. I'm guessing that while shooting pictures you have never programmed in a flight plan and then let the copter fly the entire mission autonomously. The FAA, if and when they get their act together, will call them an aircraft, not a drone. In fact if you check the FAR's the define aircraft as "Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air". Sounds like we might be flying aircraft :)

And be respectful if they drill in on the privacy issue. Folks do have concerns but I think most states already have peeping tom laws that can be enforced to alleviate that concern.

SamaraMedia

Thanks great news Kilby! Good luck with the interview and I look forward to seeing the piece when it runs. Hopefully they will keep it on a positive note. There will always be those that fear what they don't fully understand and having a voice willing to help educate them is always a good thing. This industry is growing at an amazing pace, the technology being introduced almost daily is staggering so the sooner we can get in front of this and help promote the advantages of this hobby/profession the better chance we have in finding common ground for all.

With spokespeople like you and Terry showing the artistic side of the spectrum maybe you can open some eyes. Justin Welander, aka “Juz”, was featured on a couple different TV shows and having you guys on the CBS Sunday Morning show is yet another step in promoting the hobby/ profession.

John

Kilby,

Be careful, they will try and twist everything you say into some sensational agenda laden spin. I have done lots of interviews and never once been happy with the outcome. I got contacted by these folks as well and passed on any kind of interview.

Tabb