Caught on camera, multirotor crashes into crowd at Great Bull Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewster

Multirotor failures:

broken props (due to design, construction, or overloading of craft.),

Electronic speed controller (loose bullet connectors, incorrect settings, or over loading),

brushless motors (bad bearings...),

cheap frames (cannot sustain loading on craft, excessive weight),

Flight systems (glitchy, loss or corruption of GPS signal resulting in complete failure of craft to maintain stability, gyros cannot keep up with rapid changes of attitude of craft resulting in gyro lock),

and Human error (trusting a craft weighing 4 pounds or more over hundreds of spectators.).

My first crash put a nasty taste in my mouth because it happened just after I flew over a house. It was a flutter of activity while the flight system tried to recover from a broken prop and then dropped from the sky. I can't imagine what taste the operator had in his mouth when his craft fell onto the audience.

Efliernz

Pete
My first crash put a nasty taste in my mouth because it happened just after I flew over a house. It was a flutter of activity while the flight system tried to recover from a broken prop and then dropped from the sky. I can't imagine what taste the operator had in his mouth when his craft fell onto the audience.

Having dropped a 5Kg Trex-700E with a Canon dslr on a car sales rooftop (thanks Spektrum...) I assure you it is a horrible taste!

I was over a road and it "dropped forward off the bubble"... what a noise on a corregated roof!!!

Pete

DennyR

Even DJI hinted at NAB that the future of aerial filming is with small quad craft and it has already been seen that other manufacturers are going to start competing against the Phantom with more advanced features. Sub 1kg. models made from EPP and similar materials will start to appear. The likes of Walkera etc. have the capability to make this kind of stuff for peanuts using flight algorithms that are well tried and tested. [video]http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_382_2405/products_id/263791/n/Blade-350-QX-Bind-N-Fly-Quadcopter-w-LiPo-Battery-Charger-GPS[/video]

It will soon happen that the 3 axis brushless gimbal will incorporate a flat motor for the pan axis and this will attenuate all vibration as well as turn the heading. It has already been done with a military gimbal from Sweden. Naturally the GoPro as we know it will be somewhat more advanced and smaller.

I would predict that the camera/gimbal assy would be about 1.5" x 2.00" only and be able to shoot crisp 4K at 120 FPS or a still file of around 60 mb. add to that the ability to shoot HDR and automated panoramic files. And mix automated stills with video. Zoom function and even auto abject tracking. It is not far away. The heavy lift crap will never reach that level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Denny, can you give a bit more insight on the flat motor concept and the Swedish gimbal company that is currently using it? Thanks!

Even DJI hinted at NAB that the future of aerial filming is with small quad craft and it has already been seen that other manufacturers are going to start competing against the Phantom with more advanced features. Sub 1kg. models made from EPP and similar materials will start to appear. The likes of Walkera etc. have the capability to make this kind of stuff for peanuts using flight algorithms that are well tried and tested. [video]http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_382_2405/products_id/263791/n/Blade-350-QX-Bind-N-Fly-Quadcopter-w-LiPo-Battery-Charger-GPS[/video]

It will soon happen that the 3 axis brushless gimbal will incorporate a flat motor for the pan axis and this will attenuate all vibration as well as turn the heading. It has already been done with a military gimbal from Sweden. Naturally the GoPro as we know it will be somewhat more advanced and smaller.

I would predict that the camera/gimbal assy would be about 1.5" x 2.00" only and be able to shoot crisp 4K at 120 FPS or a still file of around 60 mb. add to that the ability to shoot HDR and automated panoramic files. And mix automated stills with video. Zoom function and even auto abject tracking. It is not far away. The heavy lift crap will never reach that level.

DennyR

That company took down the video but what I saw was a set of radial mounted coil windings that float the magnets above. The rotation is as simple as a normal brushless or encoder controller but in this case the vibration is sampled at the camera and then a reverse wave form is aligned into that signal to modify the amplitude that drives the coils. Space stations have a voice coil type of dampener on the telescope to attenuate hull vibration that may arise from electric motors etc. Most high end gyroballs have this as well. I think it was first invented by John Coyle/Bob Nettman of Gyron Fame. It is not new it just hasn't filtered down yet.

Dewster

Voltage drop:

One problem may be overloading the flight batteries with all of the extras. I found this Voltage Drop video which really makes it simple to understand. I think it's healthy...for everyone to keep their flight batteries separate from all of the other components.

http://youtu.be/ggKnH-95ty0

VTG

Another news video ... a quick interview with the the owner of the Bull Run UAV.

Read the short article and then listen to what he says ...

http://wtvr.com/2013/08/29/owner-knows-why-drone-crashed-into-stands-at-bull-run/

The article indicates that he said, "no training is required to fly them, but he only loans the device out to pilots with at least a few weeks training".

Pilot error, dead battery, had it too high? Hmm.

How about OWNER error and a complete LACK OF KNOWLEDGE about flying UAVs.

What an idiot. I'm speechless.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Is there anyone here who knows how to get in touch with this place? I'd love for all of us to let him know just how ****ing retarded and ignorant his business plan is.

Yes we found out it was him long before the news crews, just by asking the event who happily gave us his email address. They are also culpable IMHO for not doing due dilligence.

Of course Scott denied it was his airframe when sUAS News discovered it before WTVR and other outlets

@ScottHansenfilm @sUASnews not ours. We were flying at the east coast surfing championships all weekend. I heard about it though

He has since admitted to it:-

@ScottHansenfilm
@sUASnews Yea it was one of my birds that was used in the event, I wasn't there, however everything has been handled.

@ScottHansenfilm
@sUASnews What the pilot told me is the batteries died and obviously he got way too close to the crowd. He shouldn't have been over a crowd.

I wonder if the FAA will also be going after the East Coast surfing event. Again with my sUAS News hat on we have heard folks at the FAA have been given a boot up the backside from other folks in the FAA for allowing this sort of operation, which they had no idea existed.

There was I thinking the Trappy case was the one that was going to be the issue.

Str8 Up

It's kind of like taking a tour of a hospital and having a nurse say: "We've been pretty good about not dropping newborn babies"

tstrike

pendejo grande
The FAA barely has the budget to keep their doors open, they barely saved 150 municipal airports from getting closed because of sequestration. They have neither the manpower nor the budget to go after every asshat that wants to fly one of these. If I were a heavy lifter operator, I'd be looking at this has one less rig on the market instead of this "OMG OMG THEY'RE GOING TO GOOSE STEP ALL OVER MY RIG AND KICK ME IN THE NUTZ!!!!!!!"
Wether the guy's lost a battery, or gps signal or vtx going out or whatever, it showed the biggest rig in the industry went down in a crowd and didn't lop anyone's head off.
Every flying rig out there is just ONE failed solder point away from being an earth magnet, let me say that again, ONE failed solder point, that's how fragile these things are, no amount of government sponsored bureaucratic certificates of safety will ever change that.
I always find it amazing how some want more government involved in their affairs of business via licensing and regulation as if that would stop something like this from happening again. This event probably scared those two guys all the way back to a phantom, I doubt they'll be trying to get a gig any time soon.

Dewster

Lol. Yes...earth magnet. The desire for regulation stems from wanting commercial endeavors with the blessing of the government. These incidents make it harder to for those in government that want to approve UAS and easier for those in government to prove that it isn't ready.

SMP

Folks. We WANT regulation. We WANT oversight. We WANT PD/PL Insurance. Professional companies WANT Barriers to Entry. The professionals will COMPLY with the Regulations and run competitive quality operations. All of us who are trying to own/run and become professional aerial businesses would LOVE a Regulator keeping our Clients away from lowball idiots like this. Dont sue the operator. Dont sue the owner. Sue the bloody Corporation that hired the idiot. This is the essence of Liability. Liability (and keeping our Clients from it) is the FOUNDATION of all PROFESSIONAL businesses. Dear FAA, we are waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.