CarbonCore Cortex....Owners' Thread

sk8brd

people fly without load all the time with heavy lift rigs...i have flown in the high 30% range for many many months on my 450 on 4s before the gimbal arrived not a heavy lifter but... the workflow by many includes flying first w/out load tune it that weight.. fly a bunch then if all is clear add simulated load of payload--fly a bunch tune it then if it passes all test run the payload. that guy is full of it. i have more experience with people on cinestar rigs and thats the workflow-period. there's not too many things that can make an esc go poof. good thing it didn't happen when you were high in the air on a full payload with multiple esc's going. i thought some motor wires hit the carbon frame or eachother somehow but the bolt explains it.

funny video huh- flying-w/out payload. also the retracts have ben reported to have issues as well by multiple people probably explains why that "bunny" girl had different servo's and she also reported problematic esc's if she really is a she of course.:nevreness:

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbonCore

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Hello and thank you for posting about the CarbonCore Cortex.
The Cortex was first made in June 2013, and offered for sale in November 2013, after testing lots of motor, prop, and ESC combinations.

We have our CarbonCore Multicopter logo on the motors, so should you have any problem with the motors, that cannot be resolved by phone or email, we will swap your motor for a new one.

Thank You Mr. Quinton for posting about your CarbonCore Cortex. Mr. Quinton kindly purchased an ARTF Cortex from us. The Cortex was received in two working days.
Understandably there was concern when the tracking said 10 days. Priority postage was selected but FedEx informed us that there was only one option.

In theory, all that needed to be done was remove the top frame plate, calibrate ESCs to your transmitter and receiver, plug ESCs in to the flight controller, and calibrate and setup the FC. Fit a payload of at least 1.5Kgs if not fitting the gimbal and camera for first flights, to tune to gains somewhere near.

It is un-nerving flying a Multicopter for its first flight, as unlike any other type of radio control model, positive controls checks cannot be performed as there are no servos.

We apologize that we cannot provide support for the A2 flight controller or Futaba transmitters. However the end points 135, 100, 100, 135 do not immediately make sense for a two-position switch. 100, 75, 25, 0 would make sense for a four position switch.

We will not provide support for electronic products which we do not sell.

We have provided considerable customer support in over 30 emails (many over one-page) and numerous phone calls for Mr. Quinton. And did not insist they buy new retracts at full retail (after asked for a discount). Replacement servo arms including postage were provided at a very low price.

There has only ever been one version of the Cortex, unless someone somehow got of one of the sixteen pre-production versions. Which had black servos on the retracts and slightly different mechanism geometry.

The bevel-head bolts are A2 stainless steel. Even Titanium bolts can be rounded-out.
The 2.0mm hexagon socket is maybe too small, however to use bevel bolts with a 3.0mm hexagon would mean going to 3mm thick carbon, and we feel 2.0mm thick carbon is over-kill and heavier than necessary.

We sell only one type of motor and ESC – those that we found to give the best results with the Cortex, for the most popular range of payload weights that the customers CarbonCore attracts wish to fly with.

As stated on the website, the ESCs are 40A 25V 400Hz Multicopter ESC. Sold under many reputable brand names.

Additional: Even if you do know the brand of the ESC, do you really know what the spec of the ESC is? You still have to rely on the manufacturer’s publications.

The ESC mounting plates are not intended to be structural: only to keep the ESC on the lower plate when removing the top plate.

The only way we can see an ESC plate bolt, touching an ESC, is if the ESC carbon plate was not in its slots when the top frame plate was re-fitted.

Mr. Matt, the holes in the Cortex Retracts were cut with a hand drill as an after-mod.
Apologies that they are not perfect. We can send you new parts, CNC cut when the next batch are ready.

We are a family business, and the demand for the Cortex has been very surprising.
We are recruiting employees to work in-house, however we are not offering training for others to become self-employed.

<!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Quinton

First off my first name is Quinton and not Mr Quinton

You asked me to show you a picture of the ESC with the bolt going through it, that is not possible as I cut the cable ties, and removed the Shrinkwrap from the ESC to have a look at the blown ESC
It was only after I did that I noticed the hole in the bottom of the shrinkwrap, and that is why I sent a picture to you first to see what you would say.

I emailed you regarding it in case there could possibly be a problem with your product, as it is such a new Multi Rotor.
After finding the hole, i then started to cut all the ESC cable ties to see if any other were affected, this is when the M2 ESC holder came out (and not when I was taking the top off as you suggested)

I am not in the habit of lying, if it was my fault I hold my hands up and take it in the chin, running a business I know how hard it can be with some people, but that is the business we are in and we should always respect the customer.
The hole was in ESC M1 and that bolt is actually still under the ESC holder where it should be, is it not possible that this could have been done when putting it together by yourself, or as mentioned some way it had flexed and went into the ESC .
As you know there is quite a bit of strain when things are under load.

I know you told me that it was VERY important not to fly it without a load, but when I do a maiden flight there is no way I'm going to put a load on a machine, besides my throttle was at 45% unloaded which I think should be OK, if you have tried this you would know what throttle % it would be, what are your thoughts on the hover position from your own tests.

Before I purchased the Cortex ARTF the one thing I remember you did say on the phone was that if a motor or an ESC goes bad then it is simply replaced (no questions asked) does this only apply to motors now?
This is not my fault, and I am quite upset that you are actually trying to push the blame onto myself, instead of stepping back and asking yourself, could there be a problem here, maybe I need to take a harder look at that to stop it happening in the future.
I understand you are a a family business and are under a lot of pressure, but at the end of the day if you sell online, you have to cope with the stress that comes with the job.

There has actually been 16 emails between us since I purchased the Cortex and 5 before I made my purchase, and I would say that those emails were needed, as you provide very little information on your web site.
Web sites are very important, as it is how potential buyers make a decision if they want to purchase a product or not, if the information is not there then of course you are going to get more emails than normal, especially when you ask customers not to post any build information online, you only want them to post flying videos.

I would also like to ask why one of your customers has 4014/9 (400kv) motors that was sent by you recently, and I have 4010-14 (370kv), did you change them for some reason, also if you look in the image below you will see it has a different servo link than the ones you provide.

Actually after I emailed you about the servo connection suggesting that maybe you should consider not using plastic you did say the following which I thought was quite rude..
"Metal Servo arms have been designed and we are in the process of having them made.
We will not discuss this with you."

Is there a reason why you are going to metal servo arms instead of the plastic ones you currently provide?

I have spent a lot of money and time myself trying to get this thing flying, for instance you have to solder on your flight controller as it does not come with an xt60 connector, you said that all your FC do not have connections, I have never seen a wookong or an A2 that does not come with a connection, maybe you are only flying Nazas?
Also a multirotor distributor really should get to grips with more than one transmitter type, so that they can at least "try" to explain to their customers better how to set up the servos instead of simply saying RTFM

As you said to Mr Matt regarding sending him new CNC cut retracts when you have the new batch, will that also apply to myself as my holes are hand cut and very roughly done too (or again was that my fault)
You will be happy to hear that I have decided to stick with your own brand ESCs after finding the hole in the bottom of the shrinkwrap, I will take some measures to make sure something like that is not possible again in the future.
It would be nice if you could send me a new ESC like you promised on the phone before purchase, but if you still think it was my fault and are unwilling to do that, i can pay for another and keep these other ESCs I purchased for my next build.
I am pretty sure that this was the problem all along, and not the A2 flight controller as you continually suggested, but hey I am no expert, it was pretty stupid of me buying the latest flight controller especially as it has not even been tested on this particular Multi Rotor.

I could go on and on, but I am also a very busy person, and like you need to get some work done.
It would be nice however also to get a reply here and to be assured that there will be no problem selling me any spares in the future "if required" seeing I will be spending more time getting this ARTF flying.
As mentioned before selling online is a hard game, and you have to make time for people "like me" even if you feel as if you can't.

View attachment 16817

Attachments

• CORTEXPIC1.jpg
    CORTEXPIC1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 246

Hi Quinton,

I just realised I made a mistake on my posting! I actually have the same motors as you the TMotors 4010-14. I got confused with the motors I have on a Droid that I'm building! Sorry I'm blonde (photo in last month RCM&E for anyone interested! lol)

One thing which does still confuse me is the black servos that are on the landing gear (you posted a photo at the end of your last message). This must mean that this frame purchased in January is one of the sixteen pre-production versions!?

As you know, I've been repairing this frame and trying to get it flying with the Naza V2, but with lots of problems and difficulties. The main problem being instability during flight!

Last night I was speaking with a lovely gentleman from Germany and he recommended that we add a little more weight. So, this morning we added another 500g (making it a total of 2.5kg payload) and test flew and it's flying much better. It seems to like lots of weight! Here is a video I took this morning with basic gains...

It's nowhere near as good as a Wookong, but CC did explain this in an email to me. I still need to do some work on perfecting the gains and I'll keep you posted on this. Does anyone have any recommended Cortex gains for the Naza v2? I would be interested to compare notes!

CarbonCore

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Hello Quinton,
To clarify, I am requesting a photo showing the ESC, fitted, showing how the bolt can touch the ESC.

The problems appear to be with the ESC-A2 combination, and not with the Carbon product.
Adding a payload for a maiden flight is very easy. Just a box of weights will do.
Do the DJI manuals not say something along the lines of, "Only fly at the correct, finished flying weight"?

Throttle percentages vary between brands, battery voltage, flying weight and weather.
They can also be interpreted differently depending on your Tx setup and how the throttle % is read.

I am posting you a replacement ESC. Evan after all 8 provided, fitted and tested were found to be working correctly.

Many customers wish to re-use old electronics from other copters: customers can and do fit whatever motors they want to. CarbonCore have never sold 4014/9 400Kv motors.
The alternative servo link was not provided by CarbonCore. Some customers like metal 'upgrades'. They might not be necessary.
The A2 has been tested in the Cortex by business customers whom offer the Cortex Ready to Fly, and charge for this service.

We will not divulge into our business with you: It is not rude to not discuss the workings of someone's business. You did even request to visit our home so that you can watch us assemble an ARTF Cortex: In effect, asking for us to train you, free of charge, for you to be self-employed.

We do not have to get to grips with other brands of transmitters. We do not manufacture nor sell transmitters. The transmitter brand or re-seller should provide you with support with the setup of your Tx, not a Multicopter manufacturer. Same applies for the flight controllers, batteries, battery charger, charger power supplies and other electronics not sold by CarbonCore... We understand getting complete support to get you flying is difficult when you did not purchase all items from the same shop.

Yes, we will give you newly cut CNC carbon retract plates, when ready, we often help customers to keep them flying. We don't believe the extra time and work put in to your Cortex retracts, to allow you to fit the Zenmuse, are preventing you from flying.

We have promptly replied to all your emails, even sometimes on a Sunday, to try and help you to the best of our ability.

Adele & Cameron at CarbonCore.
<!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

CarbonCore

Clarification: The pre-production servos did not have the red heat-sink. The servo bodies are black on the production version that went on sale November 2013. BunnyGirl and Quinton both have the Production version.
This is not a case of "CarbonCore selling test samples as finished products" as may have been suggested.

BunnyGirl: Thank you for clarifying that you and Quinton have the one and the same motors: Quinton seemed worried we had sold him some alternative that was not as good...

ElectriFlite

It's "Flopping", try tweaking the pitch and roll gains up to 200 and take it from there. I fly a Cortex with a Wookong and the gains do have to be set fairly high, but it flies beautifully and is absolutely solid. Jeremy

Hi Quinton,

I just realised I made a mistake on my posting! I actually have the same motors as you the TMotors 4010-14. I got confused with the motors I have on a Droid that I'm building! Sorry I'm blonde (photo in last month RCM&E for anyone interested! lol)

One thing which does still confuse me is the black servos that are on the landing gear (you posted a photo at the end of your last message). This must mean that this frame purchased in January is one of the sixteen pre-production versions!?

As you know, I've been repairing this frame and trying to get it flying with the Naza V2, but with lots of problems and difficulties. The main problem being instability during flight!

Last night I was speaking with a lovely gentleman from Germany and he recommended that we add a little more weight. So, this morning we added another 500g (making it a total of 2.5kg payload) and test flew and it's flying much better. It seems to like lots of weight! Here is a video I took this morning with basic gains...

It's nowhere near as good as a Wookong, but CC did explain this in an email to me. I still need to do some work on perfecting the gains and I'll keep you posted on this. Does anyone have any recommended Cortex gains for the Naza v2? I would be interested to compare notes!

Quinton

Clarification: The pre-production servos did not have the red heat-sink. The servo bodies are black on the production version that went on sale November 2013. BunnyGirl and Quinton both have the Production version.
This is not a case of "CarbonCore selling test samples as finished products" as may have been suggested.

BunnyGirl: Thank you for clarifying that you and Quinton have the one and the same motors: Quinton seemed worried we had sold him some alternative that was not as good...

I was not worried at all regarding the motors, (and I actually did not suggest anything) as I did my own tests and they are actually very good, I just wondered why another customer said that they had different motors.
The bit I was worried about regarding the motors was that there was no stats even from the manufacturer regrading that particular motor and 16" props.
I know you said that you did all the initial tests yourself, but if I was to fly at full throttle, then the Amps drawn would be over the 20A/450W limit, that was the reason why I sent the initial emails as I was "worried"

As for wanting to come to your home for you to train me up to be self employed, maybe you have taken it the wrong way, I was going to consider reselling the Cortex along with a friend who knows a LOT more about electronics than myself.
My exact words to you actually were..

"If I wanted to resell them, I would like to spend maybe some time at your workshop seeing how everything is done."

This would be something I would always do before considering reselling a product so I could offer the best support I can to others, I had no idea you only "work from home"

Maybe if you weren't so secretive with your product, people would discuss it more, and you just might get more sales that way.
I know you asked me not to post any build photos which I did not do, but to send me an email stating "Please NO hobby forum posts"

"Please do NOT post a build thread on the hobby forums.
This is counter-productive to CarbonCore. This is not our market.
We get enough silly emails from hobbyists."

Now some people may actually take that the wrong way and you can see why you really need to be professional at all times when selling online.
Anyhow, thank you for sending me the ESC, and the CNC machined retracts when they are available, and I look forward to getting this thing back in the air again, as believe it or not I actually really like the design, besides the few flaws I have come across, but then again nothing is ever perfect and the best way to make things better is indeed to listen to customers and improve on the next version.

I just wanted to make sure the camera gear (which costs 3 times more than the ARTF Cortex) would be safe and sound, thats not too much to ask now is it.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Jes your bad :)
Again, i have learned a valuable lesson... BTW if theres anyone out there who would like to put some effort/time/money into designing/building a really good frame, Im all ears, maybe we could throw it up into Kickstarter :)
Kopterworx have it right with their hammer 8, (probably very simple, bUt IT WORKS)

What exactly are you looking for? I have an H8 design that is pretty darn good. I've not bothered to market it because it doesn't have a lot of the features the market likes. I didn't add those features because they usually reduce performance. This particular one is only designed to fly a Nex5 on a 2-axis gimbal, but it works very well. The frame is actually welded aluminum. There are no fasteners to hold it together. Massively stiff. I can stand on it without bending it. :)

jes1111

What exactly are you looking for? I have an H8 design that is pretty darn good. I've not bothered to market it because it doesn't have a lot of the features the market likes. I didn't add those features because they usually reduce performance. This particular one is only designed to fly a Nex5 on a 2-axis gimbal, but it works very well. The frame is actually welded aluminum. There are no fasteners to hold it together. Massively stiff. I can stand on it without bending it. :)
This sounds like a worthy topic for a new thread - "What would your ideal AP machine be?" - I'll start one :)

Hey all,

I'm obviously new here, but thought that I'd share a few of my experiences so far. I also bought a aRTF Cortex and have had it a couple weeks now. I have a few questions still, but it's going good. Here is what I'm running:

CarbonCore Cortex aRTF
DJI A2
DJI Zenmuse Z15n Zenmuse with NEX7 (and 20mm lens)
DJI IOSD Mk2
Standard T-motor 15x5 and 16x5.4 props that came with it
Swapped out ESC's to T-Motor t40a 400Hz
(2) Turnigy Nano-tech 8,000mah 6s

You'll notice that I swapped the esc's... Well, here's the story... I'm a dooffus. Because I had to use a separate receiver to calibrate the esc's, for some reason it (er' me...) must have had my throttle backwards somehow. So I calibrated them all, then plugged all the esc's into the A2, and used two Spektrum satellites and bound it. Worked ok on the bench. Motor tests in A2 software worked good. Spun the right direction. So took it in one of our large shops for a maiden. Well, I should have tested the CSC (whatever DJI calls it) without the props on. It wouldn't start the motors. Urgh.. So dumb me, I started pushing the sticks all around. Well, it finally fired up the motors and in about .49 seconds it b-lined itself into the wall. Then I kicked a trash can and broke my toe and possibly cracked my heel into a previous break that has 9 screws and a plate in it... *@#$@( lol

So, I believe that I must have had my throttle reversed for the calibration. So when it started the motors, the A2 was thinking it was only giving a bit of throttle and it was the opposite. So instead of if being able to lower the throttle to keep on the ground, it did the opposite.

Well, enough about my stupidity.

6 of the 8 esc's were toast, and 6 of the props as well. Motors were fine. Everything else stood up amazingly well. Barely a nick in the main frame. A little scuff here and there. I was sure it was going to smash the tubes to pieces, but everyone, landing gear, arms, ect, survived amazingly.

I emailed CC to see what esc's they used because I didn't want to have to order from the UK and wait. Who wants to wait? So I just ordered 8 new T-motor escs and props. They didn't really tell me what brand they were but I didn't really care.

Cameron (Mr. Tait) has been pretty good about answering emails. I definitely can see the same language and responses here that Quinton has posted. I haven't taken offense to them really. I had mentioned in one email that I'm not real new to the RC world as I do have a 700 heli with a DJI Aceone and he told me that the A2 and Aceone are different... Uh, yeah wasn't really my point but anyway guess that's a true statement. At least you get a response unlike some other multirotor/flight controller company...

My problem now is I believe what you ran into as well Quinton is with the retracts. Well, endpoint adjustment isn't going to really do a thing for you if you are trying to use the retract output of the A2. Straight out of a receiver maybe. All it'll do for the A2 is adjust where it switches from up to down, not how far in each direction the servos will go. AND, they are reversed like Quinton I believe mentioned. Glad I checked because if I wouldn't have, and had the "Intelligent" gear control on, it could have made them stay up (thinking they were down) instead of down. Weird.

Anyway, my attempt at this is to try to use a DJI retract module from the s800. One should be here in 2 days. It looks like it sets the range by "testing" the load of each servo and then is basically a separate servo "limiter", powered off the flight batteries. The output is 7.2v (HV serovs), so I'll need to bring that down obviously. Worth a try as I don't want to put the AR8000 and d-bus adapter back on to be able to have retracts (and still not have the "intelligent" retracts if that's worth anything).

What surprised me a bit was when I asked CC about this retract problem, their answer was that they haven't used the A2 fc. Uhm.... ok? Really? They had a Facebook pic with several A2's in it showing that they must have been building them with the A2. Strange.

Anyway... I am quite happy with the Cortex so far. Seems quite strong (frame-wise), and seems to lift the Zen without much trouble, and be quite stable. Yeah, a few things here and there but I think they are trying hard. Business-wise probably have some work to do. I'll post some pics and videos here tomorrow maybe. I have no problems posting pictures. I didn't sign any NDA, and he never asked me not to share pictures. What's to hide? If I had a pre-production model that I was testing, sure, of course that would make at least some sense. He did send me a diagram of the esc layout and told me not to share it so I'll honor that (not that it was anything special). I run my own small company and sell on the internet and sure enough have had people straight up knock off my products. Sucks, sure, but you think not showing pictures of it is going to stop it? No. It would probably only stop sales. If someone is going to copy it, they'll just buy one and copy it.

Well, I've rambled on much longer than anyone probably cares to read :tennis:

Cheers,
Paul

Quinton

Sorry to hear about your mishap, these things really can be dangerous, and its always best to check throttles with the props off (but I don't need to tell you that now) :)

When doing throttle calibration you need to have your throttle fully up, and you should here a couple of bleeps, then you drop your throttle to zero and it should give a single bleep.
I know this is a UK link but I am sure you could find the same sort of thing where you are, lets you calibrate all 8 ESCs at the same time, and is a real time saver.
http://www.uavshop.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=370

I have not played with the retracts since I had my problems, but I think I may have found a solution for setting them.
F1 (D1) There is a problem with, its reversed and there is no way of fixing it, it is either a firmware problem or its to be used only with DJI Retracts.
F2 is the opposite with the retracts, it will work the correct way, but I don't think you will have the failsafe option.
If you try it in F3 you will see that this will let you set your servo endpoints, its not a 2 way, you can even move your retracts on a slider or knob if you want.

Just a couple of points I would add regarding the Cortex, the ESCs 4 of them have the heatsinks against the carbon fibre ESC holders, and 4 of them the electronic side.
The CF holders are actually pretty sharp, and over time they will dig into the heatshrink, and could cause a short circuit eventually, so I would put something between them to protect them from rubbing against it.

I'll add a couple of pictures below with mine after just 3 flights.
Also it would be a really good idea to get some sheathing protection onto the motor cables that come from the booms, as again they will rub against them and could eventually cause a short.

View attachment 16851View attachment 16852

Attachments

• escrub1 (1).jpg
    escrub1 (1).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 338
  • escrub1 (2).jpg
    escrub1 (2).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 252

CarbonCore

Hello and a big thanks to Paul for sharing your Cortex experience.
As Paul describes, all 8 ESCs were replaced after a crash, caused by the A2 setup.

It may appear, as Quinton says, that the A2 controller may be designed to specifically work with the DJI retracts.

Thank You to all customers whom respected our request to not share photos of Cortex specifics - this may have helped protect the product for those extra months.

We do not recommend calibrating all 8 ESC simultaneously - with 8 motors beeping at the same time, how can you be certain that all 8 ESC correctly completed calibration.

All our Cortex testing was done with a WooKong, from June to November 2013.
We do have some A2 controllers, they took a very long time to arrive, and we've had very little flying weather this year in the UK!

We are hoping a Cortex customer whom has reported no problems at all, may also post in this thread:
Here's a photo of their Cortex for transport:

View attachment 16853

Attachments

• CarbonCore Cortex with Zenmuse in Pelican Case 1770.jpg
    CarbonCore Cortex with Zenmuse in Pelican Case 1770.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 214

Quinton

We do not recommend calibrating all 8 ESC simultaneously - with 8 motors beeping at the same time, how can you be certain that all 8 ESC correctly completed calibration.

You actually may have a point there, I only bought this thing yesterday and have not used it yet, but I will give it a try to see how well it works.

Quinton

I don't want to waste your time Cameron, but as you are monitoring this thread what are your thoughts on the ESCs chaffing on the CF holders, and the motor cables being exposed coming through the booms, do you think some kind of protection would help?
Also if I can just make a suggestion, if you had some way of quickly removing the retractable legs I think you would be onto a winner for storage and transportation.

Again I am not trying to say bad things against the product, I am just suggesting improvements that you may be able to incorporate into your next version.

CarbonCore

Hello Quinton,
All constructive feedback is appreciated and we especially appreciate if customers can first ask CarbonCore for our recommendations, while we are providing front-line support.

The intention of the Cortex design, is that it folds in an extremely compact way, with the legs retracted, also protecting the propellers a little for transport.

Agreed you have the longer legs, which are ideal for the Zenmuse gimbal. And these extend past the propeller tips by 150mm, when folded.

The current slot, pin and bolt method is maybe the lightest and most cost effective way of currently fitting the retracts. Not intended to be quick-release for the retracts.

Some way of quick-releasing the Zenmuse would be an advantage: CopterSquad have a method of doing this and offer this with their RTF Cortex.
We will ask them to share some photos.
However connectors will always need to be plugged in and un-plugged.

Agreed, adding thin strips of double-sided foam tape between the ESCs and ESC carbon plate holders (that the cable ties go around) may be a very good idea.
The motor cables do no tappear to touch the inside edges of the motor arms at the motor end. And our sponsored pilots have not reported any issues with cable chaffing.
Our old Cortex that have done a deal flying also do not show any signs of vibration ware on cables.

More products are always in design.

View attachment 16855View attachment 16856

We would be delighted to see some photos of your Cortex with your Zenmuse and camera fitted: We hope you can soon enjoy your flying, trouble-free!

Attachments

• CarbonCore Cortex Multicopter UAV 5.jpg
    CarbonCore Cortex Multicopter UAV 5.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 171
  • CarbonCore Cortex Multicopter UAV 6.jpg
    CarbonCore Cortex Multicopter UAV 6.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 241

Quinton

For the record, the chaffing on the ESCs was only on the ones with the electronic side against the ESC holder, the ones with the flat heatsink side against it were 100% fine.
As for the sheathing from the motor cables, I only mentioned that as precautionary, as I had that problem on a Skyjib, so protection is just an added precaution to prevent anything that "could" happen.

BTW thank you for the delivery of the new ESC as promised, it arrived in the post this afternoon.

cootertwo

There ya go. A few kind words, problems getting sorted out, a supplier that's trying. That's what it's all about. However, I, as a confirmed "hermit", do realize that dealing with the "public" can be a major PIA. There are so many strange people out there, at least it seems like that to me. Congrats on you two working things out. Almost like computer dating, you never know who you're talking/chatting with, till you actually meet them in person. Sometimes can be a very scary event indeed! (don't ask how I know) !!!!!:upset:

CarbonCore

The Zenmuse clamps to 12mm tubes, not 15mm. And those clamps are pretty heavy at 38g each. Not really a problem though.

CopterSquad who have built more Cortex than anyone, have confirmed that they are seeing the exact same issues with the DJI A2 flight controller.
And they're good at this stuff!

The Cortex retracts are normal servos that need the endpoints setting, just like you have to do with any servo in any RC model. Be car, boat, plane or heli.

CarbonCore did recommend the WooKong to Quinton.
We feel all problems could have been avoided if the WooKong had been used, as recommended.
This thread has taken a huge amount of time; more time than if we'd built an RTF.

This thread has brought back frustrating memories of customers claiming the old CarbonCore Octo1000 was "unstable" because everyone was trying to use WooKong gains of below 100, when they had to be over 200...
Not even DJI had any useful recommendations at the time.