CarbonCore Cortex....Owners' Thread

Quinton

Just did my first flight this morning with the new Cortex.
Do x4 configurations not like straight down descends, as it was very jittery, compared to the Skyjib hexa.
I had 16 mins flight time with no load, and had 2x 6200 mAh lipos on (7259 mAh used altogether from the 2)
Had no telemetry so landed when I seen first failsafe at 22V from FC

Don't know if it was the cortex or the A2, but flying forward was "extremely" smooth.
This one has 15" props on the top, and 16" on the bottom, I am going to experiment a bit later with same props on top and bottom.

edit...changed thread title to reflect direction thread has gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

I'm sort of not allowed to post pics of certain parts, its like being in the masons over at CarbonCore.
Some of the ways its put together is actually quite ingenious, then theres other things that I would like to change.

I did another flight tonight this time with 16" props all round, it was not as good, less responsive. (16:30 mins though)
Ill have a go tomorrow at 15" all round, it really does need a bit of weight underneath it, as everything just seems so small and top heavy.

Oh and on a side note, the 1 switch go home on the A2, I'm not sure thats such a good idea. I am used to the Wookong, it was on the ground with the motors spinning, and I thought I was resetting my clock on the transmitter, and I forgot that switch now was the go home button...off it shot into the air to reach its 20 meters to try and go home, never put it into manual so quick in my life.

Quinton

Ya that's what I keep hearing. No ones allowed to post about it.
How's the build quality? Pretty strong frame?

The actual frame I can not fault at all so far, although I have only had 2 flights so far.
It is quite hard to tell orientation on it when flying, (its a bit like a flying box) lights will be a must.
Only time will tell, but so far so good.

I started out wanting to get a machine that would be under 7kg, this will make that even with a zenmuse and a gh4.
Its just a pity the landing gear was not quick release, then it would have been pocket sized, maybe later in the future.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I'm sort of not allowed to post pics of certain parts, its like being in the masons over at CarbonCore

Unless you have signed a 'non disclosure' on purchase surely there is no reason what so ever not to post pictures.

Dave

Mrtarango32

The actual frame I can not fault at all so far, although I have only had 2 flights so far.
It is quite hard to tell orientation on it when flying, (its a bit like a flying box) lights will be a must.
Only time will tell, but so far so good.

I started out wanting to get a machine that would be under 7kg, this will make that even with a zenmuse and a gh4.
Its just a pity the landing gear was not quick release, then it would have been pocket sized, maybe later in the future.

Good to hear.
Just ordered my frame a few minutes ago. Probably going to run different motors and esc then what they have that comes with the ARTF frame.
But like wise on payload. Zenmuse for nex, gh4, 5dmk3. And a cinestar like frame brushless for 7d running ML

Quinton

Unless you have signed a 'non disclosure' on purchase surely there is no reason what so ever not to post pictures.

Dave

Well yes, however, I do not want to have problems in the future getting parts...
Not sure how old you are but if you have ever watched the "Demon Headmaster" when you were younger then you get the idea..shouldnt have said that hes probably watching :)

Actually I do have a problem with my retracts, the plastic part that goes into the gear seem to be stripped a bit.
It may be my own fault as I messed about with them that much, also the A2 didnt help, as for some reason the gear channel D1 could not be reversed, and whenever I turned the power on it dropped like a stone.
I did say to him, that it might be a better idea to have an all metal servo gear, but he said it was probably me setting my endpoints incorrectly that did it.
TBH I could not understand the instructions, it said..

Move the Tx channel to 50%(the middle). Set endpoints ATV/EPA to 25-75%"
I don't know much about servos, and had no idea what that even meant.

I have a futaba that reads 135, 100 100, 135 so if anyone can enlighten me.

Anyhow, I asked if its possible to get spare bits from him, but he wants me to buy new retractables at £150+VAT
I'm pretty sure that it would be a lot cheaper, just to buy servo parts somewhere.

Lets just say he does not like me, as I ask too many questions.
God, shouldn't have said that as hes probably watching :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ZAxis

Sorry but with the perceived distrust on Carbon Core's part they are now off my shopping list. I would truly worry if a company held its customers hostage like they seem to do.

andy

Quinton

Sorry but with the perceived distrust on Carbon Core's part they are now off my shopping list. I would truly worry if a company held its customers hostage like they seem to do.

andy

Like DJI you mean :)
He's just paranoid that the Chinese will copy him, at the end of the day all anyone needs to do is buy one and copy it :)
I don't understand it.

Brugamer

Glad I read this. Someone new to add to the do not buy list. Not wanting to sell the small parts and gouging people is also a no no for me. This would place him in the non reputable group. These are things Flitetest gave as tips when starting in this hobby.

sk8brd

quinton-nice! happy for you all all went well on maiden besides retracts.. does the guy really think he can have no one take pictures of his designs..thats a little too much imho. get some vid of it hovering at least i only seen one so far on carbon core's youtube page. i would tape the two front arms with bright color similar to what a lot of people do on octo's.

how does he think he's going to sell them...invite only..lol

Quinton

@ Quniton.

What servos are they?

Dave

http://shop.carboncore.co.uk/epages...hops/es140672/Products/"Cortex Retarct Servo"

This is it, however the servo is a really good one, it is the plastic bit that goes into the gear.
He actually did get back to me this morning.
TBH he usually does get back, but its the way he does it..he doesn't want to or have time to sell to "hobbyists"..
I explained that I do not want it happening again, can he explain exactly what he means by his instructions, he said the following..

Please read your transmitter Manuel to figure out how to work it.

It takes time to learn how to do things.

Even if we explained everything in perfect detail, you must still put it in to
practice before you may realize what's been explained....

I have worked online for the past 12 years helping people online...one thing I have learned if you can lay out exactly what people are supposed to do then it makes life so much easier.
So if anyone on here has a futaba radio, can the help me understand what the following means.

"Move the Tx channel to 50%(the middle). Set endpoints ATV/EPA to 25-75%"
I don't know much about servos, and had no idea what that even meant."

Futaba standard end points are 135,100 100,135 this is suppsed to be on a 2 way switch.

ROVguy

I also considered purchasing from carbon core, but given what I've heard here I'm thinking to reconsider. Sounds like he's a bit of a snob, not interested in hobbyists, the whole bloody industry was founded on hobbyists! And I'm sorry, but the hell kind of customer support is he providing? Read your manual!!! It down to him and his company to provide clear information when asked a pertinent question and not just sling about abbreviations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quinton

OK Great, it gets better.
I added a 2.5KG weight underneath this morning and went out for another test flight, flew pretty well until I seen the low voltage lights come on so I landed.
I wanted to do a quick check between the voltage between hovering and landed, so I tried to spool up again, the motors started to sputter then stopped.
Tried CSC again, and nothing.

I am now at home and plugged into the A2 to try a motor test and nothings happening at all.
Where do you start..
I can just hear him now...in the instructions it says NOT to fly without a load..hmm the first time I did fly with a load this happens.
Oh by the way, on a side note, just check your failsafes in the A2 with latest firmware.
I had mine set to hover, and it went up 20 meters and came home.

jes1111

Is this guy for real? £659 for a full frame kit and he doesn't want to deal with "hobbyists"? And you can't show pictures of it? What planet is he on? Add me to the "never going to shop there" list!

Also, this sounds worrying:
it was on the ground with the motors spinning, and I thought I was resetting my clock on the transmitter, and I forgot that switch now was the go home button...off it shot into the air to reach its 20 meters to try and go home
I'm not familiar with DJI gear (also on my "don't shop there" list) but, if I understand you correctly, this is a serious safety issue - basically an "un-commanded takeoff"? Wow!