robone

I am going with this Gimbal from "From Above"

DSC00314-700x500.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00314-700x500.JPG
    DSC00314-700x500.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 338

Charlie.

How much does the From Above gimbal cost?

EDIT: Ah never mind, found their website. Roughly £350GBP excluding P&P. I think I will be going with the WIND1 because it's cheap and fully assembled!

Last edited by a moderator:

robone

How much does the From Above gimbal cost?

EDIT: Ah never mind, found their website. Roughly £350GBP excluding P&P. I think I will be going with the WIND1 because it's cheap and fully assembled!

This is also full assembled and tested. For everyone else's info it can be found here http://from-above.pl/sklep/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=108 and here are the specs:

2-axis gimbal mount for GoPro Hero Hero2 Hero3

Features:

• parts made of aluminum alloy (anodized color to black)
  • Brushless motors, direct drive. All the Gimbals use motors from MaxonMotor
  • support for GoPro Hero, Hero2, Hero3
  • Power 2S-4S.
  • Accuracy + / - 0.05st
  • Weight: 230g
  • Swivel range: Pitch / Roll - (mechanically 360st)
  • Gimbal includes a controller and a complete electronics

Set includes:

• gimbal mounted ready for installation
  • clamps and screws for quadro / hex / octo / copter

SMP

That From AboveGimbal does a lot of right things. Not the least of which the balance issue Boris has been pointing out. And some bad things too, looks like HD2 guys are gonna be seriously outta balance on that micro tray. Have you seen this guy throwing his Octa around? Guy can fly.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
After two weeks of trying everything in the book to make the YUN-1 stable in FFF I finally figured out it was never going to happen without some modifications to the design. As soon as I have a second working controller board the YUN is going to be stripped down a bit and mounted to the front of either one of my TBS DIscovery or my QAV500. The YUN has been replaced by an RCTimer gimbal constructed from alloy with motors provided for all of $99, wobble in FFF gone!

Here's a sample of FFF in wind done earlier today as I was finishing the setup, good thing I got it all sorted as this one has some work to do this weekend and now it's ready, finally...

Not bad for a GoPro hung under an old MK Hexa, never thought I'd be able to get raw video of this quality from a gimbal that cost less than $300 for everything needed to make it work, minus the old Hexa of course ;)

Ken

plingboot

I'm awaiting the arrival of an rc timer gimbal, the price made it worth a punt.

do like the 'from above' gimbal, but for my money the lens should be centred along the roll axis - doesn't look like that will be possible unless the rear tube is longer. Would also probably mean adding some slight counter weight to the other side of the gopro mount.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
They didn't reply to my question in rcgroups about that. I think arrogance is the reason :) but the from above gimbals as one of the few that are adjustable on the roll axis concerning height, I hope ! Having the roll axis 100% on the same plain as the pitch axis is not desirable in all cases. You can balance the pitch by moving the cam back and forward and adjusting the height on the cam on the pitch axis ! One can shift the cam left and right on the roll axis. You will end with a cam nicely balance on the pitch axis and balanced on the roll axis but only when horizontal on the roll axis. When rolling left or right the cam will either pendulum back or fall to one roll side. The roll axis has to be brought back to the sweet spot and that not the same balance point as on the pitch axis !!!!!!

plingboot

Anyone know if the 'from above' gimbal and it's motors are tied to their own controller or 'should' it be compatible with the AlexMos board?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
As far as i know their board is nothing else than the alexmos board but layouted differently and sandwiched. I think they are the maxon motors ready for hall sensors, but they are not using any hall sensors for the motors, thus the maxon need 3 phases for normal drive ! 70 % sure it would work with any other controller ! But we will know that for sure once other gimbals will be using the maxon motors or one of the reseller calls up maxon and orders 100 motors DIY gimbal purpose.

But ask them in the thread it would be stupid of them not to answer and nice to find out what future support would look like ! They already dodge a lot of questions !

Boris

plingboot

umm… i just had a read of that thread.

A lot of questions seem to be going unanswered or people getting the wrong end of the stick - but that's pretty typical for RCG.

It looks like a really good gimbal - i'd be prepared to invest if they offered the option of additional modular parts so i could use a gopro and maybe my EOS-M on it.

The clip of it being given a thrashing over a field is impressive.

I can see me having a bunch of these gimbals from different makers, for use under my S800, swapping them around and maybe using a single alexmos board.

I've not dared fly my zenmuse yet - scared stiff of pranging it up - but with these gimbals the cost issue is massively reduced, which makes me feel less tetchy about flying them.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
to tell the truth i am so so impressed by that video ! There is a fair amount of jellow on the bird, and i dont want to even ask myself if its the bird or vibrations induced by the gimbal, both possible ! And it rises the question of the standard of the designer ! But i still believe in it being the best concept from the ones out there !

But the not answering questions it crap and seems like an indication for the support efforts that my follow. The old the reseller will do the support doesnt stand. Especially when its a new product most resellers know less than some dedicated clients !

Boris

SMP

Another 6 hours today trying to make the Skyline work with one of our AV200s. Beyond frustrated at this point. It kills me that that 90% of the brushless gopro combos simply put out better stuff than we get w a 5d3 and lens stabilized 24mm. The second a brushless is able to crack that 1200gram mark, I'm tossing the PH stuff in the bin. Just worthless... Hell Cant believe I'm saying this but maybe 15k for the silly freefly might be worth it just to stop the madness...

Ok off rant. Still waiting for the Musky to show. Crossing my fingers. Boris, how did your 3D gimbal print work out?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
gopro version i am happy with. Little wag on the tail either the yaw of the bird or the vibration isolation still have to figure it:

DSLR mount is coming along. Still on the roll axis had 4 different versions already wasnt happy with them all.

But pitch is finished more or less:

View attachment 11465View attachment 11466

Ill try a 5d this weekend and see if the pitch motors makes it ! The roll motor shouldnt have any problems the one i planned

Attachments

• photo 2-2.jpg
    photo 2-2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 1-1.jpg
    photo 1-1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 411

SMP

gopro version i am happy with. Little wag on the tail either the yaw of the bird or the vibration isolation still have to figure it:

DSLR mount is coming along. Still on the roll axis had 4 different versions already wasnt happy with them all.

But pitch is finished more or less:

View attachment 14618View attachment 14619

Ill try a 5d this weekend and see if the pitch motors makes it ! The roll motor shouldnt have any problems the one i planned

Wow Boris thats looking very good. love the adjustability!! Fingers and toes crossed your design works!! Nice dip in the pool btw ;)