BMPCC, GH4, 5DmkIII, NEX7...did I miss any?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Actually I'm kind of thinking you should go the other way, keep your T2i, add the ML software to that for aerial and then get the 5D3 for stills and ground based video. I don't believe that ML software will enable your T2i to shoot RAW but it greatly improves the HD performance and makes it comparable to the GH3 and its pretty light weight.

I use the 5D3 for real estate as well and its pretty hard to beat that camera for that application. I thought I might fly it when I got it but its just a work horse of a camera, its become my goto camera and its just making me too much money to risk flying it. I haven't tried the ML RAW upgrade yet, the footage I've seen looks pretty good.

Chuck,

What's funny is that back when I got my T2i (Dec 2010?) they didn't have a ML file for it so I never bothered looking again! Then when I posted this thread I happened to go look to see about the 5D and saw that the T2i is now covered so I'll have to have a look into that. It's a heck of a camera as it's still working great despite a number of spectacular crashes, it must think it's being used as a crash test dummy!

The only problem so far is that the heli to fly the GH4 will be slightly lower power than the 5D and I'm not one for flying huge motors around if I don't have to. I might give it a couple of more weeks to see what's going to happen and then pull the trigger on something.

Thanks for your input.
Bart

Claust

Just ordered the sony alpha 6000 - any thougts on that camera, are there better alternatives in that size?
specs seems good :)

SMP

Talked to a sony guy at Filmgate Interactive. He intimated they have a 4K codec pretty close to H265ish specs. Sadly (or not depending on how much real estate you like for post stab) 4k capture may become a norm for higher end productions and even down rezzed to current HD with 4k held back for redistribution. May not be fad after all.. There goes my Gtechs.. Again...

adanac

I'm facing the same decision others are: raw or 4K? Working in production, I know 4K is important. Working with images, I know raw is important and is not only flexible but can save your butt if you make certain shooting errors.

I'm leaning toward 4K because I think I've shot enough to avoid many errors and I know 4K is coming. I know a producer who works for National Geographic and he says they want 4K. I inferred he'll hire me regularly if I can fly 4K.

I'm mostly considering the GH4 because it's not just a 4K camera, it's a "high resolution" 1080 camera because you get to enjoy that extra resolution when down-rezzing to 1080. Moreover, it looks like your 4K file can be made to be 10bit 1080 in 4:4:4, which is great.

Flying the Black Magic (non-pocket) is not something I have considered. I haven't ruled it out, I just never think of it that much because I have a Scarlet. Perhaps it should also be considered.

I consider the A7S to be a low-light camera. I have no particular need for full frame nor the bad rolling shutter issues it is reported to have, which make it not a great aerial choice I wouldn't think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

Is anyone flying this yet? How have you found it? I can't find a CX730 anywhere!

Discontinued Matt, like hens teeth now. hence why I got a CX410. I shouldnt have posted that PJ780 comparison lol. certainly wish I never found it :(
Futures a phantom 2 / H3-3D and a gopro, I'm just coming out of denial of the fact. on the plus side its £699 from Inverness Maplins !

adanac

Some of those cameras are terrific and rather amazing. Unfortunately, I'd be looked at as if I had two heads if showed up to set with one. :)

Buzz_Roavr

Discontinued Matt, like hens teeth now. hence why I got a CX410. I shouldnt have posted that PJ780 comparison lol. certainly wish I never found it :(
Futures a phantom 2 / H3-3D and a gopro, I'm just coming out of denial of the fact. on the plus side its £699 from Inverness Maplins !

Steve,

What setting are you filming on with your CX410? I'm getting terrible pixelation and judder which looks like the BOSE trying to fight the gimbal?

Best, Matt.

Bowley

Steve,

What setting are you filming on with your CX410? I'm getting terrible pixelation and judder which looks like the BOSE trying to fight the gimbal?

Best, Matt.

cant remember will check when i get home, its working well though the BOSS is amazing.
no pixelation that I have noticed.
Its 1080 50p I know that much, only fault is the filter adaptor/reducer comes into view right at the edge occasionally, but after warp stab its gone, need warp stab cos BOSS doesnt take out the servo roll backlash twitch. also a slight teeny weeny bit of zoom will take care of it.

Buzz_Roavr

Servo back lash might be what I'm seeing... I'll pull some clips out and stabilise them and see what it looks like.

Cheers!

adanac

From what I can tell, choosing a camera is FAR easier than finding a gimbal. It seems everyone buys a gimbal, finds it doesn't work, sells for loss of money and time, then repeat. Is there a way to avoid that process and just get a good gimbal the first time?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Good News! Yes there is. Without wishing to appear facetious the solution is .... spend lots of money.

As you have already discovered, you will anyway, so why not jump in with both feet at the start, pay for someone else's R&D and live happy?

adanac

I'm not against that. Any suggestions apart from Movi or DJI? I'm not purchasing a $14K gimbal and I'm not trusting DJI with $2500.

Good News! Yes there is. Without wishing to appear facetious the solution is .... spend lots of money.

As you have already discovered, you will anyway, so why not jump in with both feet at the start, pay for someone else's R&D and live happy?

Quinton

I'm not against that. Any suggestions apart from Movi or DJI? I'm not purchasing a $14K gimbal and I'm not trusting DJI with $2500.
Whats wrong with the Movi M5, nowhere near the price of the M10.
Just rem you will also spend plenty of money getting a machine to carry this camera/gimbal.