BMPCC, GH4, 5DmkIII, NEX7...did I miss any?

Quinton

My 5D Zenmuse just arrived and I have just put it together :)
Get this, it is "perfectly" balanced with the lens cap ON!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Here's some other thoughts on what is desirable for AP, IMO. The reason I think the Sony A7r didnt come up is because there arent a lot of lenses available for the ff. And if you are going with the A7 then you are probably better with the nex7 since it is cheaper and smaller. Here's what it comes down to for video: In the end if you are going to end up with an H.264 28Mbs clip, then why spend any more than necessary to do so? We dont want shallow DOF and we dont want weight. The one biggest factor that makes a picture look EPIC is DR(dynamic range). Although it takes a few extra steps in post, if you really want to blow away a standard image, you will not beat the BMPC for cost to function. I have not tried it myself but spec wise it seems to have the right components for AV. It's also light weight and $1000. Really the only complaint is the 2x crop factor but there are lenses out there that work fine with that as Kloner mentioned. No camera will get the DR that a camera shooting in RAW will. So it really depends on what you want. I still think if you dont have a 4k requirement that you are better with small, light and cheap as possible. Why spend all this money just to look more pro and have more worries in the air. If you need that, go fly a RED or a Miro 320s(my dream). Again, I have a vote for the GH4 as you will be able to do video and stills and have an excellent ground camera. But will things really look any better than your nex 5n? I cant say for sure how noticeable they will be.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i asked about the Sony A7 in another thread and didn't get any replies. a good friend of mine would be easy to convince to go that route.

thanks again, Yuri.

Quinton

No camera will get the DR that a camera shooting in RAW will. So it really depends on what you want.

As far as I am aware shooting RAW does not give you any more dynamic range, it gives you the ability to push/pull the pictures far more in post because its not compressed, but I am pretty sure the dynamic range is still the same as it comes from the same sensor.
I agree 5D is not the greatest for video, unless you are going to be shooting in RAW, but people need to remember its not all about video, some people also would like to get great photos, and the 5D is pretty good at that.
One of the reasons why I bought the 5D Zen, I know its not the best flying setup out there.
My thoughts..wait a while see what comes out, I am very eager to see what the next BMPCC has.
btw... I believe that the GH4K will do 120 fps in HD

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I suppose that's correct, good catch. It just happens to be that the cams with higher DR are usually ones that have a RAW option. but like you say, being able to manipulate the image that much more in post is nice.

And a little more on the GH4 from BH

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

I am a stickler for facts and figures so I apologise for correcting :) (Btw the BMPCC is also 2.9 crop factor) ...Sorry did it again.
The Cinema Cameras shoot with the same DR even when shooting in ProRes which is compressed.
I just don't like to see people putting down the 5D its a blo*dy good camera, but you are correct regarding its weight, it is heavy (Magic Lantern just turns it into a real powerhorse though).
Just wish we could fast forward a few months, as Im pretty sure there will be a lot more V2 cameras out by then..a lot depends on what you need to shoot though.

Bartman

As far as I am aware shooting RAW does not give you any more dynamic range, it gives you the ability to push/pull the pictures far more in post because its not compressed, but I am pretty sure the dynamic range is still the same as it comes from the same sensor.
I agree 5D is not the greatest for video, unless you are going to be shooting in RAW, but people need to remember its not all about video, some people also would like to get great photos, and the 5D is pretty good at that.
One of the reasons why I bought the 5D Zen, I know its not the best flying setup out there.
My thoughts..wait a while see what comes out, I am very eager to see what the next BMPCC has.
btw... I believe that the GH4K will do 120 fps in HD

my wish list is for DJI to make foam cases for smaller cameras to fit into their larger zenmuse gimbals.....a nice firm foam body for the GH4 to fit into so it can be mounted in the 5D zenmuse, is that asking too much?

anyone have an uncle in the injection molding business?

Quinton

my wish list is for DJI to make foam cases for smaller cameras to fit into their larger zenmuse gimbals.....a nice firm foam body for the GH4 to fit into so it can be mounted in the 5D zenmuse, is that asking too much?

LOL I was also thinking that, what about a 3D printer :)
I am sitting here going this is bl**dy heavy!

Bartman

Wow Bart, I never thought I'd hear you say that! ??

i've been waiting patiently, using my homebrewed camera gimbals but at some point you have to get out there and do stuff. i spent A LOT of time last year designing and prototyping frames and camera mounts only to be outpaced by a lot of other people and/or companies. if I had the resources I'd keep at it but if I have to choose one thing, other than hosting multirotorforums.com, it's going to be the operational side of the business. i'm still flying all XY frames, the latest is an XY-4 with NAZA V2 and H3-2D gimbal :indecisiveness: and I may do a prototype flat Okto with my components and tricks but manufacturing and having a shop seems less likely by the day. still flying two XY-8's for photo work too.

i might do custom builds for established operators if there's a need but i think a lot of other people are also trying to pull that off.

yeehaanow

I agree with Isis, the dynamic range makes a huge difference and sets the video apart. And RAW mode does seem to give you 1-2 stops more, according to this test. http://www.similaar.com/foto/pocket-dr/bmpcc.html

Bart, if you have a T2i, which is a very decent and capable stills camera, why not just pick up a BMPC for the stellar video? You can get them used or in the box for around $800-900. With a speedbooster and a good lens, you won't have to worry about super wide lenses,

daniel

thats a great idea!!

tombrown1

Oh yeh this is the small operators camera

http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/..._US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=27-HDRPJ810/B

Replacement for the CX730.. Been waiting for an age… Brilliant all rounder. This on a G-Lock AV130IDD will be new toy for sure.

Dave

Dave, I too am a HUGE fan of BOSS. An amazing invention that surprisingly hasn't been duplicated by anybody (Olympus has a decent one though). The problem with this PJ810 is (like the CX730) the bitrate. The new one maxes out at 28mbps. The GH3 bitrate just looks amazing. Can't even get close to that with the Sonys.

Also, the new Sony 4K camcorder looks good, but it lacks BOSS. It only has OSS - which means it doesn't have the floating lens. My dream is a GH4 with BOSS. Until then, I go with whatever Panasonic's best cam happens to be and spend most of my time working out vibrations in my multi/gimbal.

TB

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
ching, ching = two cents, Bart ....:

A 'Do-It-All' never really works in any field of activity. To a greater or lesser extent the outcome is invariably compromise. I have been using a GH3 pretty exclusively for a while, but that is because I have been filming video only. As long as 1080HD is the environment I don't think there is much out there to beat it.

I have a brand new, unused BMPC that has now sat in its box for four months. The first problem is the stupid micro HDMI out. How to monitor the damn thing? The second is the pathetic battery life. The third is what a bleeding pain to have to colour grade and process absolutely everything where 99% of clients would see no difference whatsoever to a well exposed GH3 image - that you take straight out of the camera and edit.

(CLICK ... recent project with Zenmuse and GH3 - raw camera files)

But I would not be happy using the GH3 for taking photos. Not when I have a 5D mkll sitting around. BUT, that then requires a different gimbal. I don't have call to take many photos so the 5D does nothing.
By the same token, I would not use the 5D for video. Honestly? I think it is rubbish - against a GH2 or a GH3.

Sorry mate, you have to have more than one camera. Keep your Canon for stills and get a GH3 for video.

And don't get hung up on 4K. The industry has no option but to keep advancing and then of course they have to try and sell the stuff. 1080HD is not going to go away in a hurry, because it still looks pretty good to most folks. Being able to select a 1080 frame within a larger image is very nice but exactly how often would you see yourself going to all that trouble?

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
ching, ching = two cents, Bart ....:

A 'Do-It-All' never really works in any field of activity. To a greater or lesser extent the outcome is invariably compromise. I have been using a GH3 pretty exclusively for a while, but that is because I have been filming video only. As long as 1080HD is the environment I don't think there is much out there to beat it.

I have a brand new, unused BMPC that has now sat in its box for four months. The first problem is the stupid micro HDMI out. How to monitor the damn thing? The second is the pathetic battery life. The third is what a bleeding pain to have to colour grade and process absolutely everything where 99% of clients would see no difference whatsoever to a well exposed GH3 image - that you take straight out of the camera and edit.

(CLICK ... recent project with Zenmuse and GH3 - raw camera files)

But I would not be happy using the GH3 for taking photos. Not when I have a 5D mkll sitting around. BUT, that then requires a different gimbal. I don't have call to take many photos so the 5D does nothing.
By the same token, I would not use the 5D for video. Honestly? I think it is rubbish - against a GH2 or a GH3.

Sorry mate, you have to have more than one camera. Keep your Canon for stills and get a GH3 for video.

And don't get hung up on 4K. The industry has no option but to keep advancing and then of course they have to try and sell the stuff. 1080HD is not going to go away in a hurry, because it still looks pretty good to most folks. Being able to select a 1080 frame within a larger image is very nice but exactly how often would you see yourself going to all that trouble?

I have the same camera's as you and pretty much agree to everything you have said about the cameras. I use my hacked gh2 alot, gh3 sometimes, and BMPC sometimes. I'm modifying a gimbal to take my 5d Mark II because on occasion, I'd like the quality for stills.

As to 4k, it is not something that the vast majority of viewers care about. I'll bet if you grab 10 well produced popular movies shown on a 4k screen, and have half of them shot at 2k and the other half at 4k, if everything but the resolution is similar, grab 100 people and after they have view the 10 movies, 98 of them won't be able to tell what was shot at 4k and what was shot at 2k. We are seeing more sharpness on the big screens than our eyes see in the everyday world that we live in. Only at the movies and on huge TV's, do we see more resolution.

IMO, it will fly only when it comes in at the price point that peeps are paying for (1920x1080 sets) now.

Av8Chuck

I agree with Isis, the dynamic range makes a huge difference and sets the video apart. And RAW mode does seem to give you 1-2 stops more, according to this test. http://www.similaar.com/foto/pocket-dr/bmpcc.html

Bart, if you have a T2i, which is a very decent and capable stills camera, why not just pick up a BMPC for the stellar video? You can get them used or in the box for around $800-900. With a speedbooster and a good lens, you won't have to worry about super wide lenses,

you guys that are already flying the GH3 are a big influence on me going the same way but as things are evolving it's all got to be factored in. yes, the black magic doesn't do stills and since I do it's a big strike against it. If the GH3 isn't much better than my T2i for stills then I've got to consider that as well. the NEX 7 is really small and light but again is it better at stills than my T2i? so despite the high cost to buy it, the 5D makes sense for me because it will improve one aspect of what I do and will also put my video product into the pro level if i drop enough coin to buy a small island nation....i mean to build a heli big enough to fly it well.

at the end of the day, the 5DmkIII will always have a solid resale value if it's kept in good condition and while I usually don't like to plan that way, if it doesn't end up getting used enough it'll have to go at some point. i wonder if there's a markIV around the corner??

Actually I'm kind of thinking you should go the other way, keep your T2i, add the ML software to that for aerial and then get the 5D3 for stills and ground based video. I don't believe that ML software will enable your T2i to shoot RAW but it greatly improves the HD performance and makes it comparable to the GH3 and its pretty light weight.

I use the 5D3 for real estate as well and its pretty hard to beat that camera for that application. I thought I might fly it when I got it but its just a work horse of a camera, its become my goto camera and its just making me too much money to risk flying it. I haven't tried the ML RAW upgrade yet, the footage I've seen looks pretty good.

Quinton

Actually I'm kind of thinking you should go the other way, keep your T2i, add the ML software to that for aerial and then get the 5D3 for stills and ground based video. I don't believe that ML software will enable your T2i to shoot RAW but it greatly improves the HD performance and makes it comparable to the GH3 and its pretty light weight.

I use the 5D3 for real estate as well and its pretty hard to beat that camera for that application. I thought I might fly it when I got it but its just a work horse of a camera, its become my goto camera and its just making me too much money to risk flying it. I haven't tried the ML RAW upgrade yet, the footage I've seen looks pretty good.

I was like you and did not want to use the ML, but I put t on recently..unbelievable some of the features in there, never mind the RAW shooting it turns it into a whole new camera.
Only problem is you have to use FW 1.1.3 with ML but they are currently porting it to the latest 1.2.3, which will then allow clean HDMI out.
I def think 2 cameras is the way to go if you can afford it, one for photos the other for video.
Now lets see how the other manufacturers response to the latest GH4..the next few months will be really exciting to see what comes out, its just a matter of waiting.